Norton heuristic trojan was found in Crossfire 1.9 (solved - false positive)

There are 4 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Poopstein.

• I was playing the game with no issues, everything was going well, just caught Ashcroft and was about to get gate codes, when game crashed. Norton pooped up that it had found a heuristic trojan in freelancer files, file was removed. Since then I was unable to launch the game. I went into Norton quarantine and restored the file because it was low risk and I figured it was a mistake. After restoring the game would still not launch. So I made a copy of my saved games and uninstalled everything. I reinstalled and it looks like everything is going to work, but my saved games were deleted even though I copied them and renamed the file. This is very frustrating as I spent several hours getting to where I was and I thought I was safe after making the copy. :cursing: That said I am wanting to fast track my progress to get back to where I was. Has anyone edited the ship files to remove batteries so that they will not restore while attacked? It seems tedious but I am wondering if I change the batteries to zero I can get to where I was much faster. This mod is really great, and I can't wait to explore it further but it is much more difficult than the vanilla version.

Poopstein TM (IOC)Poopstein, (IOC)_Mountain_Man, (IOC)Ghost, (IOC)Lone_Wolf, (IOC)Silencer

• some people say that norton is the worst of all trojans
    however... the title of this thread is also the answer

norton detected something on a heuristic scan
    such scans report all files which share a signature with a known virus instead of really scanning for that virus

a few days ago it was reported that Avira also did such a mess with a CF dll
    ive manually submitted that file to Avira in that case to let them do a real scan with the result that it instantly was reported as a false positive and the comment that the false trojan warning will be removed with the next update of the virus database

I personally would suggest to do the same with the file that norton has detected

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Two things you can do. The first is to do what Op suggested and send your AV the file they said was a virus tell them to check it again and note that it is a valid file that is part of the Freelance/Crossfire game. The second thing you can do is go into the advanced settings of your AV and add Freelance and Crossfire to the exclusion list and the AV will not mess with anything in those directories. Most AV's allow this and show you how to make the entry.

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• Ok, thanks everyone. I did add it to Norton. And have been playing fine since then. I figured that it was a false positive, just wanted to confirm to make sure my download wasn't corrupted somehow.

Poopstein TM (IOC)Poopstein, (IOC)_Mountain_Man, (IOC)Ghost, (IOC)Lone_Wolf, (IOC)Silencer