Schmackbolzen's OBJ -> SUR converter tutorial

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Here's the tutorial made by Ben_Kai for Schmackbolzen's excellent sur making utility

MODEL PREPARATION

1. Import CMP into MS3D. "auto load", is the only box I check. "Import hardpoints" is optional

2. Use DirectX Mesh tools to remove some triangles. Move the slider, for most models it will only reduce by 5 - 10%. Click the save button that has the - sign.

(Note on above: If the model is low poly to start with, you can ignore 2 and move onto 3)

3 . Export as .OBJ. You can try to import back into MS3D and use Dx tools again, but I usually just reduce more triangles with LithUnwrap. I've noticed that using DX tools numerous times begins to degrade the model to the point where your SUR will not be very from fitting. For small fighters this is fine. But for larger ships and stations I think It kind of defeats the
    purpose. I guess you could delete some triangles manually inside the mesh but I'm not a modeler so I dont attempt it.

Close MS3D.

LITHUNWRAP

4. Open .OBJ with LithUnwrap. Go to File - Model - Open. Go to Tools - Optimize model. Check all 3 boxes, click OK.

5. Save mesh as .OBJ. Go to File - Model - Save. Make sure format is .OBJ.

6. Import .OBJ back into MS3D.

7. Go to Edit - Select All. Go to Vertex - Weld Together. Make sure you dont skip this step or your SUR could have huge holes....

8. Export as .OBJ

OBJ CONVERTER

9. Select your .OBJ. I leave 1st option at default. Check 2nd and 3rd boxes then input your hardpoints. I will add that on bases i haven't had to add in hardpoints. Once sur is generated, close this program

FL MODEL TOOL

10. Open flmodeltool, import the cmp, DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING and simply save it. This should prevent the model from going invisible when you turn away from it.

11. Job done!

Thanks to Ben_Kai for the tutorial, if i can use it then anybody can.

Programs used, Milkshape, Lithunwrap, FLModelTool

• step 1.5
    use the clean tool of ms3d (sometimes you can not use the DirectX Mesh tools before that is done)

how many polygons do those surs have in the end?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• the method using the DX tools might work but they also might cause problems in my eyes as you can damage the model this way

Ive been modeling the sur shape by hand so far and dont want to risk anything in future

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I think this creator is great for bases, allowing the whole docking inside concept to happen. The converter isn't 100% and suffers with certain shapes, as an example i can't get it to make one for the coalition jumpgate no matter what i try. Will have to think up something for that.

On the flip side, as you saw in the Elite bases videos i posted, worked fine with those, even the asteroid base. I rescued a few asteroid models from Starlancer, the big ones with the holes in them, will attempt to do some surs for those next, see how that goes. I might even try that asteroid base, the one you can fly into via the exhaust vent and see if i can fly into it.

I understand you make yours by hand, i just don't have the patience :P

• hehe

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,