Posts by APE

... perhaps try to remove the write protections again
    ... check if there are some quarantined files in your AV/Security-programm
    ... tried to run the Freelancer.exe not from the desktop icon but from within the installation folder ? (as administrator) ?

NOOOOO !!! ... no 'long leg chicks ....... who knows when he will 'recover' from them to work on the plug-in ... I mean the plug-in for the mod ... :D

YES there is - at least from my side. ... unfortunatly unplanned RL-events stepped in my way yesterday :/

well, my CC works that way that it 'marks'/aka 'ckecks' all entries that shoulde be solved ... aka deleted - that's why I wrote what you've quoted.

The entries referring to freelencer have to be deleted, ofc.

However, this is onle the 1st step, the 'manual' cleaning of the registry - at least checking - is much more important ... and most of the time still needed even after CC Clener.

Your overall set-up is very familiar to my own, even though there are minor difference, which I render as not rly problematic :
    my win7 might have a few more functions, your Norton might be a bit more ... modern, their "behavior" should still be almost the same when dealing with Freelancer and esp. Crossfire.
    Therefore it should also work for you.

But, whatever might be the cause, most likely and unfortunatly there will be no 'quick' fix/single-point-solution to it. The only solution that would/could bring it into a working condition :
    do it ALL again ....
    from the biginnimg ....
    starting with making a 'clean slate' (esp. regarding the manual registry cleaning)
    (At least : you have already downloaded it and you have set-up your Norton, two things less to do.)

M8, you REALY have my sympathy/commiseration, since I've been through this :tot:. ... well, dozens of unaccounted times from CF 1.7 to 1.8 to 1.82 to 1.9 and for CF 2.0 also. But ...
    I always found it worth the effort :)

I might have found a little deviation from the installation guide, that could cause your problem :
    as you describe it you didn't CLOSED the launcher after its first big update/overwriting of stuff (the 'update' with 200+ files).

... and - sry for being such a nitpicker - but did you do all the described restarts AS WELL as a new 'write-protection-removal-shuffle' after this restarts ?

Why i am such a nitpicker : exactly these wee deviations were often the cause why it didn't worked, when I redid the installation procedure.
    ... which I have done (for CF 2.0 only) about 1 to 1'n 1/2 dozen times (at least :P ) on 'developing' this guide and testing it on myself before applying this medicine to others :D .

Well, the role above .... he was always an character actor setting paramounts ... on the 'DARK SIDE' of the heros spectrum

He gave Saruman the face and look and appearence I ever imagined, after reading The Lord of the Rings the very 1st time (about 30 vears ago)

He was also genre-setting in roles of other super villains as Fu Manchu and the infamous Scaramanga

but probably best known for the role that founded his very special stardome, fame and glory, ... he wasn't by far the 1st actor playing this role, some earlier might have been even more ... impressive (thanks to the 'good old' time of acting in black and white without speech) but ....
    every actor coming after him had to stand up and proove himself against his interpretation of the role of Dracula

Yes, Rest In Peace, well deserved, Sir Christopher Lee ... I hope the Dark Side will leave it to their paramount actor

THIS is NOT and never was an ingame ship. As well as the whole system is not in the game. ^^

Thats a piece of artwork for one of the starting screen (the last one ?) from CF 1.9 (if I remember correctly). This has changed in CF 2.0 to another (title: The Last Stand). :)
    Would need to ask OP, where he got it from ^^

... you got a point there : companies ...

For them it was :
    Buy a software system with its paid update services every time a new is released. Atm every 3-4 years they are faced with the expenditure of purchasing a (probably/possible) whole new software suite.
    Now it would sound :
    Buy a software system with its paid update services ONLY ONCE. All furure updates(changes/releases are already included.
    That cuts the 'regular' costs for a new system in the future. Even if the 'service fees' might be a bit more than actual attractive to company CEOs, who (mostly) don't even think further than the next quarterly numbers-announcements. .... makes sense for microsoft.

@AZ09 ... they are working at something called "Edge" (asik), that shall replace i-exploer, but shall do the same job ^^

@RonaldoDaVinci ... that selling with new pc or laptop : also nothing new and i am still thinking about the way they might make more money they made the 'old way'.
    As said : I just fear that at some point you have to subscribe to regular payments for being able to use your windows on your pc or laptop. ....

(As a side thought : this could also work in another direction, making alternative OS more ... attractive ... But this might take a lot of time, esp. for the program developers. :/ )