Posts by RazorBack

Whether or not it is popular I would recommend caution when designing high-yield explosives, the sheer power of sunslayers is more than a fighter would ever need, and to be honest the cannonballs will sink a VHF too.

Perhaps develop a micro-nuke warhead which has an equal shield/hull damage - and make it a bugger to buy it too :D

You have a point, im getting totally mixed up with the spanish - ok, ignore the logo but the rest of the information holds true :rolleyes:

As for the french logo/emblem/insignia - it's merely myself that cannot conjure anything to mind, there most likely is something that will be just perfect.

Do you intend to have some battleship usage on board with this Mod?

If so I always figured that some of the major planets could have a defensive array - Planetary Orbital Defenses - its likely that someone may have well used this before im not sure, however, it would be a big hinderance to battleship flyers being too naughty as you give these puppies a 2k fire distance.

So that this does not punish the fighters too badly tho, you cap the projectile speed to something that can be dodged with relative ease 8)

I'm in agreement that if you wish to follow the general flow of current day characteristics then i would gest that...

Italian > raw power and design, incredibly costly and mostly a drain on the wallet for the style and not so much the funtionality.

French > kind of an opposite really, there is functionality but not such a great flair for design - neat, but no real pazazz (if thats even a word) - of course the moderate price means flimsier design.

Italian logo - a favourite of the bullfighter, either a matador type icon or a bull in some manner.

French logo - this one i am much more stuck with, the french prize themselves on culture and a language "of love" ahh bugger it - do a block of cheese and napoleons hat??

You misunderstand OP, it's not so much the message, but your choice of delivery that got my back up a bit. I understand that you are required to act in the best interest of your mod - why would anyone want a bungling newbie come and smite your hard work?

Honestly, my only gripe was that as apposed to a subtle "thanks but no thanks" I just came under fire backed with a fist full of criticisms.

You don't want the content, thats fine, after all I merely made my presence known because i had projects that i felt you might want - and since I have such a fondness of FL it would have been nice for the most prominent mod to have used my stuff.

And i do have an idea how many concepts must well have been ditched, i was a mod project leader, and certain things simply do not fit the mechanics of the game comfortably.

...Shame about openlancer tho, I really hoped that something would have come of that project... sucks

Ahh, you do have a much subtle and preffered method of diplomacy Mr Huor_Súrion, I am all ears...

perhaps you might know of a particular project?

oh and - just by way of curiosity, does anyone know if the Openlancer project is still kicking? last i know of they were using the OGE for thier code and i have not heard a whisper since opengameforge started upgrading.

If you want realism - design your own game and stop modding this one because the truth is, to get an element of expanded abilities in this game you need to use trickery - and the shield idea makes good sense to me tbh.

But there ya go, i should probably refrain from pitching any more ideas as your shotgun is loaded ready to shoot em down eh [1]

a station would gun down one of these before any damage is done i hope - but then that depends on what you give them for armour.

destructable solars are just plain boring - at least with the correct balance of settings the mining roids would move at a slow pace (dynamic) you just cap the ability for the AI to steer.

this would work also for creating random anomolies if you wanted to.

At the end of the day if you have made certain parts of your MOD vulnerable to the mining drill then its certainly not a good idea to implement this design.

A bunch of problems... can be ironed out, what modder ever got beaten by some problems.

As i believe i mentioned previously the drill would be hard-mounted (aka grafted onto a hardpoint permanently)

It was a concept i started discussing when the possibility of a Moo Server mod was in the works - about 3 years ago i think - it was a good idea, more so becuase they didn't have the same concerns over destructable items that you have.

For the mining concept (sorry to those this will all sound jibberish to) is fairly simple by nature but trickery to make it bloom.

1st off - ships, naturally you would have a whole designated assortment of mining vessels - i only got round to creating the initial prototype of small miner, here she is..

now apart from limited defensive abilities what this ship did sport, is a mining drill, yes, a weapon that has super high hull damage rating (no shield piercing) and the range basically finished about 1mm in front of the drill (it'll make sense in a moment), oh and here is the drill...

This drill is specifically designed in mind to be permanently mounted onto the nose of the ship - and is soley for mining - what keeps this from attacking ships is that lame shield killing ability (zero).

Now.. all that hull damage, and for what?? i hear you say - thats the clever part, you make a faction - a faction that is neutral to all and they wont be flying ships - they will actually be asteroids, asteroids with no engines (or verrry slow ones) no turning circle no shields but have a loot onboard that collates to the field in which you have put down the encounter rate (spawn area).

these roid-ships will have very high hull strength - way too much for the average fighter ship to crack open which is why that mining drill has the super-high dmg output but at a close range. It will be such a good way to bring the mining side of the game out and you can even booby-trap the odd roid to explode dangerously upon being mined to add the danger element [10]

You can do just about anything - super-sized roids - some with ancient tech encased inside - the ability is there...

sound good?

I'll reply from the screenies thread in here,

As hard as you seem to please, try to hold in mind that this was all 4 years ago, back when SUR production was just a dream to the sobbing modeler as he wept into his pillow.

Alot has changed now, i can see much evidence of that, which is good to see, personally i'd love to flog the MS gits in public for turning their backs on us small ppl.

i also worked on a very big mining concept - i've always felt that mining was never made particularly lucrative, when it should be,

..hell i have had some fairly screwed up ideas all in the name of new experiences for the game - i love it all.

No seriously,, its exactly as it was designed, its basically a ring of nebula - textures applied to a inverted ring - and that nice bright feature at one end to give it pazazz.

...Certainly NOT a re-textured original man, shame on you!

Im not saying this is a pinnacle of my work,, but a show of the fact that I have a good grasp on design and making some cool stuff.

..Notice my adaptation of the badlands which was the system just before that new starsphere :D

I probably should brush up on those rules, i merely assumed that being their own system that they could call those shots.. but then like mentioned previously, i wasn't part of that incursion force and not 100% on the rule-set.

As a question of pure curiosity, you say you have ships etc already for versions 1.9 and 2.0 - is your Dev that far ahead?

Im still fairly well set on the belief that a good community coupled with plenty of battle makes the server thrum with life, I remember when the OWL started invading Jolt and 5thss - it caused a stir but it sure as hell made the community band together firmly.

One side certainly holds true, the forum flames are always an ugly side of when battles get out of hand.

You are a very abbrasive boy OP. All that you needed to do is curtiously turn down my offer of help,

...but now im a person thats come onto a community server only to be ridiculed due to my clan name, rudely blocked from donating my work as apposed to a polite alternative and for what?

Yes, yes the community keeps the game alive too, both the early days of jolt and the 5thss/Moo server kept ticking on that community - but without the War, without the action, communities start to fizzle away.

That is what my clan was always about - the glory of battle, the endless hours of gun-toting and holding onto that last bar of your hull as cannonballs fly past you only a whiskers breadth away.

I was curious about what you said about HoTa so I made some enquiries, apparently they were never kicked nor banned - they simply left and apparently the members of that clan-owned system were happy with and even wanted the intrusion as the fights were fun.

So please do not preach about rules, when the clan themselves were happy to obsolve that rule in the interests of fun.

ConQUesT

I would certainly assume that as the mod is not being charged for... same way in which my work is free for all, but im also all about knowledge freedom - so i'll share one or two nuggets of how i at least managed to get a starsphere working.

I tended to re-work originals to start with, but as you have pointed out it tends to look naff adjusting the existing ones so i took a step back and looked at the concept of a starsphere...

Essentially speaking the txture wrap issue need never be a problem because all thats needed is a surrounding display - who says it needs to actually be a sphere so i downloaded lots of hi res nebula pics from nasa and started to play with alternate methods...

put simply as apposed to grafting images to the inside faces of a sphere - i simply had lots of slight overlapping ,call it, screens going around and all textured up with a nasa nebula and this started to achieve results that had true potential.

The Denabe SS itself was a 2nd work around - i was going for a big band of nebula going around the system with an anomoly at one end and thats what i did - sad to say the video on media fire appears to have expired so i'll try and dig it up.

I'm not here to burst anyones bubbles - im simply proud of my work but as im being branded a liar (by you whom i have offered my work and help to) then very well, i shall try and put together a package of mini demos of the stuff i have done.

I'm certainly not out for a drama, far from - but to answer your question the starsphere is exactly what it sounds like - it is the surrounding "scenery" of each system you enter.

I don't know if anyone else has ever tried getting closer to that large hole at one end of Omicron Gamma - but no matter how much you fly, you do not get any closer. This is because your ship will always be in the centre of the starsphere. Although its the "background picture" of that system, it is always anchored to your ship.

The more i hear you speak, the less i want to help, you sound like a little boy with a big chip on his shoulder,

listen, im not trying to steal you glorious thunder and for your divine information it was about 4 to 5 years ago that i made the "Denabe" fully custom starsphere as part of my one-man-band mod (which was too much work for me alone).

That same starsphere was offered to Evo (which sadly evo collapsed) and yes, it was ...wait for it... fully custom and not a re-make.

I am very impressed with the work behind this mod, and full kudos to those behind this piece of art - however I woud rather not get locked into a pi**ing contest with you when all i wanted to do is donate the fruits of my own hard work.