Posts by Firewing

[SIZE=3]Just one problem - the game keeps chrashing whenever I put "New Game". I didn't have this problem with Crosifre installed (this is fresh Freelacner instalation). Could be becouse of Win XP or my GForce 6800 card.[/SIZE]

Help anyone?

Come to think of it, the two fighters that I put into Freelancer did have one issue - the shield generator howered below them. (like where you normally land)
    I don't know how or why, as I followed the instructions in the tutorials, nad the suggestion to fix that given to me by some forumites didn't work..

anyway, I'm planing on making a SP enhancement mod myself. I allready rebalanced the ships, shields and power generrators and I'm currently working on the guns.

Just one problem - the game keeps chrashing whenever I put "New Game". I didn't have this problem with Crosifre installed (this is fresh Freelacner instalation). Could be becouse of Win XP or my GForce 6800 card.

Does anyone know if it's a bug or if some patch is needed to get this working?

Your loss bud.

b.t.w. - the only two ships that were hardpointed where the two fighters you claimed you didn't use.

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    1. the only way to retexture them is to create new models which is something that will not happen

im not going to risk that hardpoints are not working anymore... that hardpoints are missing... that sur files are not working with the ships anylonger or that ships are going to be rebalanced coz of the recreation

Since I would be re-doing those ships, I don't see how can that be your problem. I can texture them and I guess I can even hardpoint them. Alltough I will havew to look up Milkshape again...has been a while.

As foir balance - the ships are not player controled so this wouldn't brake anything. and balancing is probably my strongest point.

2. the textures are basic yes... but they fit to the ships which are prototypes.... that are ships which dont fly under the banner of a house... that are ships which only should have armour plates shown

You don't get it - the UV mapping is HORRID. The same texture used for EVERYTHING - windows, intakes, engines - and tliling that has run amok - at one point you have a 10x10 tiling and on another you have 1x1. Sorry, but it is horrible.

There's nothngi wrong with a military steel, rough look, but this is not it. This is just bad. Looks like a noob did them.
    I can show you how a example of how they should look if you want.

3. and in fact which capital ship does need a cockpit?
    do the house battleships have a cockpit? no they dont have

Cockpit? Capships don't need cockpits, but they do need command towers. As isaid - if you look at almost all ships, they have windows and intakes modeled in, but there is no window texture put there, alltouhg the UV mapping for it is there.

the cockpit reference I used to show the size problem. A light fighters is 2x bigger than a whole command tower on the Order battleships.

4. more reasons i cant give atm (i never release too many information)

Can you answe the Dragon-shpaed kusari battleship and Man-O-War shaped bretonia battelship issue then?

Also, what about my singleplayer enhancement?

EDIT - what's with the second intro movie? Why put it in - it just euses up space that could beused for more ships/effects.

There's nothing wrong with the texture itself- teh problem is hte UV mapping is horrible - and it's the ONLY texture on the ships.

Look at other in-ganme ships - they all have several textures, with destinguishable features (windows, hatches and things)

I'm offering my help to improve some of the things in the mod.
    You don't have to take it, but why not aim for better?

Would you care to expand on those reasons?

I just flew around Sol sector for a while - I'm impressed and dissapointed at the same time.

Where to start?

I'm gonna start listing suggestion and critique for the improvement of the mod.

GENERAL STUFF:

I hate to say this, but the Order ships are terribly textured. My old UV mapping was left more or less in tact, but the ships have been painted over with ONE single texture.
    Also, the position of weapons on the ships is terrible - why put all the weapons on top of the ship?

Well, I can help with this - I have some free time availabe so I can do some texturing if hte ships models and I can send them over with the textures. I know what feel you're aiming for this time.

The scaling of ships is allso way off - the command tower on the Broadsword for instance is smaller than my light fighter???
    Capships don't use trade lanes so make some of them big.
    Jump gates and cocking moors could allse be bigger.

Next, the capship weaponry is limited - just one tpye of gun for all ships, regardless of clas and size. Devirsity is a good thing - give capships anti-fighter weapons (low damage, fast fire) and dedicated anti-capital weapons (long range, big damage, slow speed)

On other things:
    - the surface of Sol could do with a bit of a improvement. The background buildings could use ahiger res and cleaner texture and the white building should be replaced with two towers (since fighters fly trought it regulary)

- what's those green particle thing in Sol? Looks like some spores and frankly, it somehow doesn't fit.

- ship classes desigantions and descriptions could use some work. Why would anyone want ot re-build ancient ships? Those are over 800 year old, and the sleeper ships, while being high-tech at that time also carried selected individuals and knowledge. If the outer HULL desing was taken from the old ships, that's OK - but the whole tech is outdated.

- the dragon shaped ship I named KuBatleship is a Order gunboat? The BrBattleship, that looks like a Man-O-War (symbol of British naval power in the old days) is also Order? Who decided the classes for crying out loud?

- the warp bouys are great :D I love the idea (jsut one part you can bump into), but the effect could use a bit of work. zthe yellow particles that fly past you could be smaller and there could be more of htem. the big yellow blobs that appear infront of you should be removed as they block allmost the whole view.

SINGLEPLAYER

Why not improve on it too? If I could (allmost) do it, surely you can do it too? There are so many great new hings, ships and weapons that it's a shame they're not part of hte campaign.
    Adding into the campaign things like captial ship shields, new craft, changing balance of ships - it changes the whole experience and it's not too hard to do.

Balancing would be the problem, but it's qa easy thing to do (at least for me - I modded over 30 games so far and made balance packs for all of them - and they were all highly rated)

Lastly, I offer my help regarding this matters I wrote before.

Well, if you're interestd, I can go into more detail on these things..

My Freelancer CD finally came.
    I just installed the Crosfire mod and I've been playing it for two hours..

Aside from some graphical enhancements, I'm yet to see anythiong else new.
    I can't find the darn SOL system!!!!
    How the hell do you get to it? Where are all the new ships?
    (Yes, I have been playing Open Singleplayer)

Another question - when you select Normal Singlepayer in the Mod Managar - is it the totaly, 100% normal singleplayer or does it have some changes?

Tempting...
    but with Oblivion, Freespace 2 and KOTOR modding project I'm part of + a MMO Space Sim project I'm a bit overbooked.

The best thing I can do (If the Crossfire people are interested) is to supply them with some of the UV mapped ships (possibly even slightly enhanced with more details for those that were low-detailed to begin with)

And I can give them the system I made (I think I still have it lying around here)

I just checked - the system IS included in the first rar (the one with 2 done ships) and I still have it on my HDD

I'd love to, but I'm downloading from my own Pc (56k connection)

On the coluege PC only a admin can install any programs, so no DL menager :(

Not to worry - I have a friend with ADSL, he'll DL it for me :D

EDIT: - just out of curiosity, in the files I put up for DL, along with the models there was a Order system with 3 planets. Is it also in the mod?

Great. I'm prolly going to get Freelancer and this mod, jsut to see them in action...

b.t.w. - if it does turn out they could use better texturing (and it appears so at least for now) I allready explained how to extract the TEXTURED and UV MAPPED models I uploaded on Hades combine.

If textures don't fit you can allways replace them, but the bottom line is that the UV mapping is preserved.

Just food for thought if you plan to make a new realese of the mod. I can repeat the instructions (hell I might even convert them to another format for you guys if I get hte time)

Hm...highly interesting :D

They look good, alltough the texturing(UV mapping) could use some work.. maby its's hte lightning in the screenies, but it looks very simplistic.

anyway, I'm now very tempted to aquire Freelancer again :D

Since I'm not a online multiplayer person - if I DL this mod, will I be able to see the ship in singleplayer or do I have to tinker around to achieve that effect?

No time for screenies? You have some ship screenshots, but not all of htem.

It seems there is no way for me to see what has become of my models except installing Freelancer & your MOD and playing..and I lsot my Freelancer CD...just great X(

This mod has a serious number of new things added (especialyl ships). Given that I donated a fair ammount of ships to it, I'd like to see what has become of them.

I've been looking around but found very few screenshots so far. Where are they? :D