Posts by Samothraki

Just wanted to say a thank you to Darkstalker and Jtak for making me welcome in MP. Had a few troubles 2 weeks ago trying to get the mod work on SP and MP and finally (fingers crossed) got it working right tonight.

Darkstalker and Jtak....your help and info was much appreciated. Look forward to seeing you again and meeting more folks on the CF server.

Samothraki/Aberja

Ok thanks OP. Will try that. Willing to try anything at the moment. :) At the moment I only have 1.56 activated (and only done mish 1 of SP campaign), so if I delete the restart.fl file, can I activate 1.57 and still use my save game? Or should I delete the save games and delete restart.fl and THEN activate1.57 and start with a new SP game?

Cheers,

Samothraki

Yah, CF works with SP and MP and there's an optional addon for Open SP (which I'm not using). That's why Juni would be trying to contact me, once I've made the next lvl requirement of cash to trigger her response to start up the next mish.

Chief, I dunno what's going on with mine. I don't even have earlier saves to go back to/choose from as I'm uninstalling and re-installing and activating the mods to begin a completely new SP campaign.

Quick question for you or anyone else though....could you have a look in your FLMM/mods folder and tell me if Crossfire 1.56 actually comes up as a folder called Crossfire1? I don't know if this is normal for the mod or not. And the strange thing is that when I activated 1.57 the last time, the size of Crossfire 1.57 showed up as about 175MB and Crossfire1 (which I presume is actually Crossfire 1.56) only showed up as around 22MB. They seem to be switched around.

Anyways...I've done another fresh un/re-install and am trying 1.56 for a lvl or two on SP campaign and will try Planet Crossfire and the escape pods and see if the same thing happens with only 1.56 activated. Will take it from there.....whatever IT is and wherever THERE is........ :D

Edit: Quick q...is it better to start up a new SP campaign without any mods activated and then activate the mod or is better to activate first? Makes any difference?

Well I dunno where that leaves me then. :( I've d/loaded 1.56 and 1.57 from this website using GetRight and the files all seem to be in order.

Will try one more uninstall/re-install and try it all over again and see what happens.

If the troubles persist....well shucks....that's gonna bum me out. Really wanted to play this mod.

If anyone comes up with any other ideas, would still appreciate the help.

Samothraki

I've recently experienced a number of troubles with trying to get this mod to work on my computer. See my other thread labeled "Fresh Meat" in this forum to get more details.

After finally thinking that everything was ok (namely the prob I had with getting through the custodian gates and activating the mods) I got to planet crossfire and tried to sell my 9 escape pods. The first time I tried to sell them all I crashed straight to desktop. The next few times I reloaded FL with the CF mods I found that I can only sell 1 or 2 of the 9 before selling the next one crashes me back to my desktop.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that I'm only lvl 2? Or anything possibly restricting the amount of money I'm supposed to have at that lvl? Or something to do with the game scripts and the fact that I'm not supposed to be able to leave NY system and that when I finally make the required amount of money I'm not where I'm supposed to be when Juni tries to contact me? I dunno....just throwing out ideas here.

Any ideas folks? Please help.

Samothraki

Well I'm not quite sure what to say but things seem to be working ok now. That's a tentative ok though. Before I tried re-installing FL again I thought I'd take one more shot at activating CF 1.56 and 1.57. This was using the d/loads of these mods that I already have.

And that's where things became interesting. Where usually the progress bar (upon activating the mod) of 1.56 zoomed up to about the 1/2 way mark and then crawled to completion, this time it made a nice, slow and steady progression all the way to completion. When I entered a new game, the biggest difference (and I don't know why I didn't remember this before) was that I had $150,000 starting money (in SP) whereas before I never had this starting money.

I've activated 1.57 and upon completion of mish 1, went through the custodian jump gates to X3043 without a hitch.

So.....the only thing that I can think of is that for some reason, the mod wasn't activating properly. Although it was giving me the ok, obviously all of the mod wasn't loaded or something. I dunno, but things seem to be fine now.

Will check MP later on the weekend and see how that fares. Just a thank you to all those that tried to help. All help was appreciated.

Samothraki

Well that answers that part of my prob. Thanks Darkstalker. Just curious, were you using only 1.56 or 1.57 when you replayed the story?

Just had another thought. Is the reason I couldn't get through the custodian gate something to do with NOT having the OpenSP addon? I mean, if I only play the SP storyline missions (which is what I want....I don't want to bypass the story), is there something in there that's not allowing me to access anything outside the NY system?

Because the troubles I was having was when I was only lvl 2 or 3 (but I wanted to check out what was on the other side of custodian space) and I don't think you're allowed outside NY until after mish 2 or 3 or whatever yeah?

Anyways, just a thought. Going to give it another shot now and see if my clean install has helped matters.

Samothraki

Edit: Update --> Just activated 1.56 and then 1.57 (got the message about 1.57 probably conflicting with 1.56 and clicked ok) tried to Launch Freelancer and after the Crossfire Splashscreen came up.......crashed to desktop. Again and again and again.

Someone....anyone...please help me out here. :( I've done a complete new install and followed Nitro's lil guide to the T. With my old install, I never had this prob. Can anyone shed some light on why this might be happening now please?

Edit 2: I've just had a lil look in FLMM at the mod folder and saw something strange. I have a folder labeled Crossfire 1.56 that has the readme for 1.57 in it and is only 23.2 MB and a folder labeled Crossfire1 (but no .56 or .57) with the readme for 1.56 in it and is 175MB. Is this normal? It seems like they are switched around to me. Is this normal for other people?

Any help appreciated. Don't want to seem impatient but I've had a little taste of CF and I'm starving for more. :D

Thanks,

Samothraki

Eh? You talking about the addon open sp patch yeah? It's 1 am in my part of the world and my brain has officially shut down. Happens with old......err....I mean older age. :D

Edit: I've just followed Nitro's lil guide and only thing that gives me pause is that after closing FLMM after installing 1.56, I didn't get any message about overwriting files when I double-clicked 1.57 to load it into FLMM. And I'm still showing 1.56 and 1.57 in FLMM. Is that ok?

If it is, then I activate 1.56 first and then activate 1.57 in the FLMM and everything should be okay? /me crosses fingers and prays.......

Thanks for the responses. Just got home and going to get the rest of the files installed now.

Not sure if I made myself clear about the SP and OpenSP thing though. I actually "want" to play the SP campaign again. Not necesarily just start exploring. So, does the OpenSP addon let me do both if I choose (the storyline campaign OR bypass the whole story) or does it automatically make me bypass the story campaign and.....lock me out.....so to speak so that I can never do the story if I use the addon?

Hope that made sense. :rolleyes:

Samothraki

Thanks for the response, Nitro. Appreciate the help.

Already deleted FL and FLMM, deleted any and all folders relating to FL and mods. Even used reg cleaner to delete one or two entries still there.

Forgot to delete save games in My Documents/My Games but checked and there's nothing in there anymore anyway.

Will re-install FL and FLMM (1.31 is the correct one yeah?). Quick q though, I should close FLMM before I load Crossfire 1.56 and just double click on the zip.flmm file? That automatically loads it into FLMM doesn't it?

And 10b, I thought it was an OpenSP addon, not an SP addon? I would still like to do the SP campaign sometimes so not sure if I'm supposed to load this one as well or not?

And one final q....the last time I used FLMM9 (before uninstalling), I had 1.56 and 1.57 showing as separate mods. Is that the way its supposed to be or when you said that 1.57 overwrites 1.56 is it only supposed to show as one mod?

Anyways, will have to continue this when I'm back from work tonight. BTW....night shift sucks! :P

Will get back to you and let you know if (hopefully) things are better. Thanks again.

Samothraki

Sorry for the double post folks but this forum seems to be a lil more active than the Support Forum at the moment.

Tried MP last night and had some probs....which then seemed to carry over into the SP version. My post on the support forums is below and pretty much says it all. Hoping that some of you might have some ideas or info on this matter. And again, please excuse my impatience on putting it on this forum as well.....I just....well....I really wunna PLAY! :)) Hehe

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "prob with 1.56 and 1.57 on SP and MP

Last night I tried multiplayer for the first time and was being helped through the custodian gate at Rochester. Unfortunately every time I tried to go through my system seemed to hang. F1 didn't work, Alt+Tab didn't work, neither did Ctrl+Alt+Del. When I finally rebooted my computer and logged back in I was about 70k from the custodian gate still in the NY system.

I tried turning off 3D sound and tried a few more times with the same result. I then tried this in the Single Player version and had the same prob with the custodian gate. When I deactivated 1.57 and (also had to deactivate 1.56) I got an "Error: problem deactivating 'Crossfire Mod 1.56 Client Edition'" message and in the log a whole heap of "Warning: SHDeleteFile failed: blah, blah blah" messages.

After re-activating 1.56 only I tried the custodian gate again and got through fine. However when I tried the jump gate to X-3043 my computer crashed to desktop suddenly while in the middle of the warp.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? I really want to use this mod on SP and MP and would like to know how I can fix this.

Any help appreciated.

Samothraki

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also have the Unofficial Patch 1.4 installed. This was before I started using this mod. Don't know if this is helpful or not."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know that it's not a grief fest out there and that from the sounds of things people are good sports.

About the scanning thing I re-read it and it states that they reserve the right to scan, not that they automatically will. I'm just kinda leery when it comes to the internet and spy-ware, viruses and that sort of thing as I can say quite confidently that I'm technologically-challenged and don't really understand it all. :P

Now if anyone could answer the q about the 1.57 version and still being able to play single-player, I'll be a happy chappy and on the server as quick as it takes a dog to pee on a tree. :D

First off I'll say greetings to everyone here as this is my first post on these forums.

I'm thinking about trying Freelancer as multiplayer but have a few general questions about it all first. My apologies if these have been asked before. (I swear I used the search function! :))

I've only recently even started using mods with my freelancer and Crossfire was the first one I chose after looking at the rather large selection available. If I upgrade to the 1.57 version to be able to play on the server, can I still play my single player version if I want to take a break from multiplayer to continue with the missions in the single player campaign? I read that 1.57 wasn't needed for the single player but will it still work?

As this is my first foray into multiplayer for freelancer, how.....strict.....are the rules, or should I say.....how well-respected are the rules about pvp and pkilling/griefing in the New York systems for example or in general? Just from what I've read on some other threads and boards makes me somewhat hesitant as I don't really enjoy wasting my time or having my time wasted. Don't get me wrong, I accept the pvp nature of the multiplayer element but I would also like a little bit of a chance to "find my feet" first and get a feel for multiplayer before getting shot out of the sky by a vastly higher lvl player. I know this is a part of it as I get out from liberty and so on and that's fine.

I read also that my hard drive is scanned? I understand the reason for this but how safe is this (for me) and what kind of info, if any, is accessed or read or whatever during this process?

That's all I can think of for now. Any help appreciated and I'm looking forward to the MP element.

Cheers,

Samothraki