A few questions about the rules, rules, rules

There are 4 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Sledgehammer.

• Hello,

I searched around the forum for answers to some of my questions, but didn't find anything conclusive. Sorry if this thread is redundant. And sorry if I sound like an ignorant newb.

First off, this is a very good mod. I have played a handful of FL mods over the years, both singleplayer and multiplayer, and usually lost interest rather quickly. This mod reawakened my interest in FL where others did not. Nice work!

I jumped online only yesterday and have so far had no complaints with anyone. In fact, I am particularly impressed with one member of the Dragon Corps, who gave me a very generous welcome to the system, for no other reason than that he knew that I was a newbie. DC is on my "A" list.

However, I have been diligently reading through the posts here, and have a few questions or concerns about the rules. For starters, I understand that you need permission to enter clan systems, and permission to buy a ship in those systems. I know this is conventional, but there are some points I was hoping you could clarify.

If someone sneaks in and buys a ship, I have heard it said that the clans like to "force" the player to sell the ship. I assume they do this by threatening to hunt them continuously and make their life in the Sirius sector miserable.

However, I have noticed -- and heard from others -- that some clans rarely have any members online, or so it seems; so that is one concern.

Also, when you ask permission from a clan member, what if they say no? (Perhaps for no other reason than because they can.) Is their word law? Would it be considered bad form to ask a different clan member right afterwards? In my experience, some people are just miserly and stingy for no good reason, while others are all heart.

Furthermore, suppose I obtain permission to buy a ship from a member, but later on another member gives me grief about it. Where's my "signed certificate" proving that I bought the ship under the proper political protocols? In other words, how does the rest of the clan get their assurances that I asked permission beforehand, in the correct fashion? I would hate to go through the trouble of getting permission, plunk down my credits to buy the ship, and then a day later some other member declares war on me, claiming I must have made my way into "his system" without asking.

Maybe I am not giving the clan members enough credit for being reasonable, but reading through some of the posts here, there are some hardcore individuals among us, who love enforcing their rules to the hilt.

These are just a few questions for starters. Thanks in advance!

• Clans make their own rules for their system and system property.

When a clan is offline, that does not give anyone the right to enter.......you are entering at your own risk.

Clan systems are clearly marked by a logo inside their system, posted in front of the jumpgate......Ray Charles can see the logo, so their is no excuse for "missing it".

In clan systems, freelancers have no rights....period.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Guys, no need to be that harsh.

Hey m8, don't need to worry, things aren't as bad as you may think.

I see you're not used to this kind of management right? Not to worry. Whenever you want to enter a clan system, just ask permission to one of the members of that clan, and he'll grant you permission. Worse thing that can happen is not one single member of that clan beeing online. If that's the case, you can leave a message here on the forum.

About the ship, it's easy. If a clan member grants you permission, you buy the ship and leave the system, then another clan member ask somthing, is just say the name of the member that granted you the permission to buy the ship. No big deal.

• Thanks for the feedback, Ruivo!

As for Gunny's remarks: it's cool, Gunny, not to worry. I wasn't advocating sneaking into clan space, which you will see if you re-read my post. Quite the contrary, I am trying to learn how to tread as lightly as possible, so as not to offend against any zealous clan member's sensibilities. I know how important all the official rules and regs are to some people. I don't want to slight their sense of purpose. ;-)

Thanks again, Ruivo! I will take your advice and not sweat the small stuff too much.