Need For Speed Underground 2

There are 11 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Avenger.

• I would like to start

this review with a disclaimer: I am not a chav. I do not like Burberry baseball caps, or

Kappa trousers. I also find chav-mobiles, in their real life urban wasteland setting, to be

ridiculous. But provide me with flashing lights and shiny graphics, and I plunge headlong

into Self Loathing City, otherwise known as Bayview, EAs fictitious chav-ville

extraordinaire and the setting for its latest game - Need For Speed Underground

The first thing that strikes you about NFSU 2 is that EA have shamelessly ripped

off Grand Theft Auto. No, actually the first thing is that the story is pointless and

empty, and that cartoon style cut-scenes seem out of context next to the visuals in the rest

of the game. That is of only peripheral importance however. Basically it appears that EA

have taken GTAs free roaming city setting, pumped up the shininess, and removed the

violence - in other words, NFSU 2 is what GTA would be if it was a racing game.

You

cruise around the city, looking for races or shops to tune your ride. These appear on a

world map, which is supplemented by a smaller map of your direct surroundings - another

feature familiar to anyone who has played GTA. Races come in a number of flavours: Sprint,

Circuit, Drag and Drift all featured in the original NFSU, with new modes Street-X - a

tight, drift-style race where accurate cornering is everything, Underground Race League -

6-way racing on proper circuits, and my personal favourite, Outrun. Outrun races are entered

into if you meet a fellow racer while cruising the streets between races, and challenge

them. The aim is then to get 1000 yards ahead of your opponent. This gives you a chance to

race freely - to pick whatever route you wish - and is immensely enjoyable.

As well

as racing you can change the features of your car, both enhancing performance through a

number of upgrades and improving its look through new bodywork, paint, vinyl stickers, neon

lights and so forth. Its enough to make any chav wet him or herself with glee, and yet the

cars look neither out of place, nor ludicrously silly. This is obviously due to the lack of

realism - if NFSU 2 was set in a disused multi-story car park, normality would be restored.

That is to EAs credit - they have created a world which is shiny and colourful enough to

force either suspension of disbelief, or brain damage.

Overall, NFSU 2 is an empty

but strangely compelling racing game. I just pray for a Project Gotham PC conversion, so I

dont have to feel this dirty every time I play a racing game.

• i love racing games, but a

lot have one serious flaw: a lot have CLOSED TRACKS.

Midnight Club II is one of the

most addicting racing games in the PS2 history.

in my opinion a REAL, and GOOD racing

game should have some basic guide lines:

1. no closed tracks. if i wanted that i'd

get nascar.

2. customizable cars, and if not at least the color changer.

optional settings for car tune-up ( make the car parts matter or not). only half of half of

half of the people know what the hell games like Grand Torismo are talking about in the

parts shop.

4. kick ass techno soundtrack[413] , and/or some rap along with it, tehy

prove to be the best music for racing.

5. pure illegal, after-dark, and menacing

street racing. no nascar, exibition leagues.

6. lots and lots and lots of cars to

choose from, GT already has that prob figured out.

7. free-roam, who wants to just

race on missions??? thats no fun....

8.maybe weapons [9] , but they may weigh the

car down...... :D

baldwin

( here comes the bashing now [24] [413]

• NFSU 2 is better than 1... graphics,

tuning whatever.
    Good for those engine revs, speeding and all... but one important

thing's missing: Cops!! Shouldn't they appear sometimes...?? But then again it's just a

fantasy city [11]

I played it a bit more than i expected because i got curios

'what else should i tune at my car'.... otherwise, u kinda get bored.

Seddon_del_Cid

• Avenger will ya please put a print screen with your map?? So i can

see where all the damn shops and garages are? PLEEEEEZ :D

And when i'm done with

my car i'll post it too :]

Seddon_del_Cid

• map is divided in 5 parts, you cant acess them from the beginning, sectors start

opening in time (those red barriers with a lock)