Some general questions

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Dino.

• Ok, so I have been trying Crossfire for a few days now (actually, I already tried it years ago, but nvm that). I rather enjoy the trading part, so I got myself an APC freighter. Just threw a couple of Nomad energy cannons on the thing as to avoid problems with energy drainage. NPC's are no problem (so far), however I am sure I wouldn't stand a chance in PVP. So I figured I'd try the trading part more. First thing I noticed is that there is no true Traders clan. There is one Mercenary/Trader clan, but beside having a member cap of 20, it also seems to be mainly PVP oriented.

So I take it the Crossfire mod in general is mainly PVP oriented. Nevertheless, for now I will look into trading. Next obvious step would be a train. However, I understand one is not supposed to dock with it. I can not really find any info on this "mooring" though. How does it work? Can you load the train while mooring? Do you need another player with a Heavy Lifter or some such to load it while you are moored? Is that even possible? How do you unload?

Also, how active are the clans? So far I have met one pirate and one cop. Also the system you get the APC Freighter from is supposed to be a clan system, but I have yet to see anyone from that clan online. I'm not entirely sure on the rules here, but I just went and bought the Freighter. I don't see why I should have to wait for one of the clan members to come online for that. For all I know none of them are playing anymore.

• Welcome to CF
    Yes...CF is in general designed to be 24/7 RP
    I assume you mean IOC when you say trader/mercenary clan.....yes they are best trading clan. While you learn more about CF...keep an eye open and hopefully you will meet IOC Centarian (IOC CA). He can answer any questions about IOC and has vast knowledge of the trading skills
    As far as train....buying commodities to sell you are limited to 500 cargo.....redocking and buying more to fill a train is considered a cheat....but, you can go mining and fill the 5000 cargo
    Clan systems are just that.......and its potentially a problem with that clan if you go purchase their ship without permission.....what you do with this idea is up to you

Hope it helps....and I'm sure if you ask around online you will learn answer to any questions you have....btw...if I missed anything, someone is sure to correct my mistakes

Again, welcome to CF and cya in space

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• I assume you mean IOC when you say trader/mercenary clan.....

Unless talking about PX... Mercenaries that are often seen "trading" ("smuggling" would be more appropriate term though :) )

- Rear-Admiral Elodie Vox -

-- -- Visit Us!

• Ok, so you can "moor" with a train (whatever that is), but you can't load or unload cargo in any way while moored? Not even with help from another player flying a heavy lifter or whatever? Is that correct then? I mean, what is the purpose of a train if it just gives you 50 more cargo space compared to the APC instead of a possible 4550?

• Ok, so you can "moor" with a train (whatever that is), but you can't load or unload cargo in any way while moored? Not even with help from another player flying a heavy lifter or whatever? Is that correct then? I mean, what is the purpose of a train if it just gives you 50 more cargo space compared to the APC instead of a possible 4550?

Mining. Period.

There ARE some choice mining routes on a few days that can make a train very much worth it, especially if you're a copper who's only 'allowed' to make money via legal methods. :P

• Uh huh. But isn't it so that a train doesn't have any weapons? If so, how do you mine?

And I still haven't heard from anyone what the point of mooring is.

• you can put turrets on train and mine.

mooring = docking with bigger ships( DS, BS, Trains... ). there is nothing special eith mooring. select mooring fixture, dock on it and you will appear on planet/ station like when you dock with fighter.

• Ok, thanks. So that was just added because it was difficult to use docking rings and I assume impossible to dock in most bases with trains and other big ships then.

I have been toying with an idea for a new clan, hence these questions. Is there anyone in particular I should note to bounce some ideas of of to see what would be allowed and what wouldn't be?

• Train is 2-3x times bigger than docking ring/dock on stations.. so it would be a little stupid if train comes near it and appear in station/ planet, or just pass trough it like it's invinsibile.