Posts by Baree

Ok, thanks. So that was just added because it was difficult to use docking rings and I assume impossible to dock in most bases with trains and other big ships then.

I have been toying with an idea for a new clan, hence these questions. Is there anyone in particular I should note to bounce some ideas of of to see what would be allowed and what wouldn't be?

Ok, so you can "moor" with a train (whatever that is), but you can't load or unload cargo in any way while moored? Not even with help from another player flying a heavy lifter or whatever? Is that correct then? I mean, what is the purpose of a train if it just gives you 50 more cargo space compared to the APC instead of a possible 4550?

Hmm. Well, I could try those three things mentioned before activating the mod. Since I am not getting any "you need to be administrator to perform this action" messages though, it doesn't seem logical. Regardless, I am definitely not going too the trouble of backing everything up and reinstalling my OS for this. Would cost me way to much time to simply play a game. But I really appreciate all the help :)

I really don't feel like bumping te topic for this, so an edit will have to do. I got it working, so thanks again for all the help. I think I know what the problem was, a really stupid oversight on my part. I didn't restart my PC after installing Freelancer, I went straight to installing the mod *rolls eyes*.

Ok, so I have been trying Crossfire for a few days now (actually, I already tried it years ago, but nvm that). I rather enjoy the trading part, so I got myself an APC freighter. Just threw a couple of Nomad energy cannons on the thing as to avoid problems with energy drainage. NPC's are no problem (so far), however I am sure I wouldn't stand a chance in PVP. So I figured I'd try the trading part more. First thing I noticed is that there is no true Traders clan. There is one Mercenary/Trader clan, but beside having a member cap of 20, it also seems to be mainly PVP oriented.

So I take it the Crossfire mod in general is mainly PVP oriented. Nevertheless, for now I will look into trading. Next obvious step would be a train. However, I understand one is not supposed to dock with it. I can not really find any info on this "mooring" though. How does it work? Can you load the train while mooring? Do you need another player with a Heavy Lifter or some such to load it while you are moored? Is that even possible? How do you unload?

Also, how active are the clans? So far I have met one pirate and one cop. Also the system you get the APC Freighter from is supposed to be a clan system, but I have yet to see anyone from that clan online. I'm not entirely sure on the rules here, but I just went and bought the Freighter. I don't see why I should have to wait for one of the clan members to come online for that. For all I know none of them are playing anymore.

You mean the one that lets you change Freelancers compatibility mode?

EDIT: Actually, if you are referring to that, it is not going to help since I won't get past the "activate crossfire" step.

Activating the MOD in FLMM. It abrupts the activation process and gives this error in the log:

SHCopyFile failed ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Freelancer Mod Manager\mods\Crossfire1.82\MSINET.OCX' to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\MSINET.OCX

Ah, that worked. However, the mod still won't activate (same message). Do I need to do this before I install Freelancer and/or Mod Manager and/or Crossfire? I mean, the problem is not it can't find the file, the problem is it can't copy the file from the crossfire installer to the mod manager destination, so it stops the activation progress. Do I perhaps somehow have to instruct Mod Manager to ignore that and continue activating anyway? And if so, how would I do that?

Well, I am still struggling with getting 1.82 installed. I determined that my AV was definitely the trouble before (so there is still something that triggers at least my AV in 1.82). So solved that, but now I get the MSINET.OCX error. When I follow the instructions, as I try to activite it in cmd I get the following error:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/Ugnah/Image1.jpg

EDIT: Whoops, forgot its in Dutch. Basically it says "The module "MSINET.OCX" might not be compatible with this version of windows. Check if the module is compatible with a x86(32-bits) or x64 (64-bits) version of regsvr32.exe."

Well, it seems to be, since I could run the installer after downloading with my AV turned off. However, now I got an error when trying to activate the MOD. I tried uninstalling Freelancer and Mod Manager, but after doing that my PC went into a cycle of shutting down about 30 seconds or so after arriving in Windows. I got that sorted out, but I am not sure I want to try installing Crossfire again now.

Yeah, I encounter this message too. I see this is not an unknown problem. I am not sure if there is a solution posted here though. I am trying to download again with my anti-virus off, but I am not hopeful.

Yes, I already discovered the ping command. I'm about 30-35. Should be ok, right?

Anyway, it seems to happen when I take too long with a mission. If I take a liberty rogue or blood dragon mission I'm fine, cause they use heavy fighters and I can kill them relatively quickly. I just tried a lane hacker destroy ships misison, which takes me longer cause they use light fighters. And sure enough, it apparently takes too long. I got disconnected again :/

Is this the reason I keep getting kicked and then am unable to reconnect? Well, actually, it happened twice. I'm new to Crossfire and I am not yet that used to the mod. It takes me ages to kill a single ship, now that they have shield regen and use batteries and nanobots. Twice now I was doing a mission, probably at least an hour in, when suddenly I get a message that my connection was lost. It's really annoying. Is that because I would have a high ping? If so, it takes the server a long time to pick up on it. I wouldn't see how that is possible anyway, I don't lag myself and we should have a decent enough ADSL connection.