Hardware comparison

There are 14 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gast.

• ok guys i need a comparison of 3 opteron pcs

the 148, the 165 and the 175

most important is the performance of these systems
    would be good if you can find such info somewhere

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• im more interested in performance and how much better a 175 is towards the others

the pros
    the cons

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I can't say for sure but from most forum discussions and things.... the pros are its a bit faster and more powerful, and the cons are it costs more and uses more power ^^

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    - Attributed to General George Patton Jr

• incredible
    how about some numbers?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hard to find good comparison. You can try here. I think you mean the socket 939 models which are practically the same as their desktop analouges - in this case X2 4000+ (Opteron 170) and X2 4400+ (Opteron 175). As far as i remember you wanted to use 1 core for fl server and the other core - for additional program working with some files/equipment for FL. In this case would be best to go for 170 or 175(unless too expensive). Its possible to allow fl to use both cores and the additional program - only one of the cores. With some more work should be possible to force most windows processes to work only on specific core. There is difference how 1 processor and dual-core processor act under load. As example single core proc verry easy hit 100% load no matter how fast is it, dc proc will do that much rare even if its running on lower speed.

• and that sounds good since the cpu load always is a problem for FL

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• 175 the best of them:
    148 has the same speed but only one core so 175 is better than 148
    165 has two cores but is slower than both 148 and 175. it makes it worse than 175...
    depending on the use it would be better 148 or 165. for long and single heavy processes that requires heavy calculations (heavy excel calculations, scientific computing) 148 is maybe advisable, but for a more regular use the second core is a great advantage, so for FL id get 165

to choose 165 or 175 depends on the costs... 175 is somewhat better, but not much: about 5-10% better overall performance in my experience (well, in fact my experience is with 265, 270, and 275 cpus, that are the equivalent to 165, 170, and 175 for dual cpu systems, but no significative difference is expected)

on a sidenote, all those opterons are now outdated, as they employ the 'old' and -nowadays- expensive DDR memory. dunno if its possible, but id try to get a xeon (5100 or 5300 series) or a opteron series 1000, that shouldnt be much more expensive (the cpu is maybe a bit more expensive but the RAM is way cheaper) but the performance is significantly better

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

Bunny thinks Ed is not as cool as him

• for the need of fl server, from best to worse:

1. 175
    2. 165
    3. 148

m8s already explained why.

ddr2 based memory server is better solution, imao.

We sit together,
    The mountain and I,
    Until only the mountain remains.

- Li Po

• i have to take what they offer

currently CF is running on the 148 but since we work with it for more than 1 year the system is already outdated
    the 175 is offered now for less money than i pay for the 148 (149 instead of 169)
    it could be that i have to pay the setup fee, but i think i can talk with them and show them that I and my other contracts with that company would be unpleased about additional costs
    but even if i have to pay the 99 setup... in 5 months i would have back the money due to the less costs
    not to mention that the 175 has a bigger hdd and 4gb ram instead of the 2gb that we have now
    the dual core might be an advantage... but since FL is old ive no idea about such stuff

they have that opteron for quite a while but it did cost 169
    that current (cheaper) offer for that opteron 175 is limited to 30th november but i guess that this is just a promotional way to throw out the 175 before they introduce new products so i will wait till CF release next year

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• mod: if you want advice on pc configuration, please create seperate thread

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    - Attributed to General George Patton Jr

• I'm not sure how fl server exe would act cause i dont see way to test that without getting some ppl playing on it but whats for sure that freelancer exe is successfully balanced on 2 (and eventually more) cores automatically by windows.

• as far for tests i have been making with fl server on amd dual core, it performs faster, and of course, never gets to 100%.

these tests were not serious, but my config showed me a certain benefit of multiprocessor machine, so, u should consider that one, in any case.

and yes, since microsoft made the game, windows does good job into splitting processes between cores, no problems encountered for days of testing.

We sit together,
    The mountain and I,
    Until only the mountain remains.

- Li Po

• dual core will also have an effect on older (not optimized for parallel processing) software. This is based on the better architecture of the new systems. So FL would run better with dual core i expect.

I am using dual core in private now, but didnt noticed any cpu loads before my current pc (at least with hyperthreading). But finally hyperthreading and dual core seems not to be very different- but there is at least one ;D

So take the dual core into account.