Posts by wrangler

I personally like the Kumodo Dragon in Vega. It's got a thick hull, good power, fast and with 360 degree turrets you get 8 guns going forward, or if you like missles, you can mount twins and still have 6 going forward. You need to find the Advanced Champion shield and don't forget to get the shield upgrade (you can get to level 10 but I only have level 9, power generator (I have the Mark V and armor upgrade (I have level 10).
    For guns I have:
    Wyrm Type 9
    Wyrm Type 9
    Diamondback Mk II
    Diamondback Mk II
    Jade Mk II
    Jade Mk II
    Wyrm Type 8 Turret (fires forward on the Dragon)
    Wyrm Type 8 Turret (fires forward on the Dragon)

They pop like popcorn.
    If you can find a reasonable Nomad battle to get into, they drop fantastic Blasters and Cannons that require no energy to fire and these are a great alternative if you can't find the power upgrade right away.

When you have something like this, you can head into the fray. I still don't make it sometimes if I get 10 or more on me.....(I popped into Omicron Alpha and had 10 Outcast in VHF's jump me and I smoked em all)......or 2 Dom Kavash gunboats usually kill me or leave me so crippled I have to return to base. Hell, 1 Dom Kavash if you don't stay right behind em. CSF are hard as hell also cause I think they use shield sappers. 2 shots and my shields are gone. Same with DK. Luckily they don't carry nanobots so if you can kill em quick and move on to the next one......I can usually take about 3-4 and thats it.

Study this site:
    http://www.crossfire.swat-portal.de/database/index.htm

Originally posted by magnet

Nope. Ask OP. The quest starts in Death Valley, but Nephele is a lot easier to find :)

OK.......now WHAT does THAT mean???

Thanks for the help guys. The disk I found in Death Valley has no information other than saying it has information for the Crossfire government. I searched a little more diligently here on the forum and saw a post where OP says explicitly that the disk in Death Valley is for selling and thats it. "Finito" I believe is the word he used. Now, if your saying the quest starts in Death Valley because finding a 9,000,000 credit data disc spurs you to explore for more, I can believe that. But if there is something else???

Also, after I sold it, I went to Nephele and have since gone on to find the other 3 data discs and as soon as I log off here I am heading to the coordinates that it gave me. I don't want to do things out of order though so if there is something else in DV........please don't let me screw this up.

I got a hint in another thread to go to Death Valley, find a wreck, tractor in a data disc and it would have information on it that would tell me where to go or what to do next.

Found the data disc and all it says when I look at it in my inventory in the description is that it has important information about Crossfire systems for the government or something like that. It is worth 9,000,000 credits.

How do I read this information? Or is that it? I would think that looking at it in inventory, the information would be on the right side. Is this correct.

I appreciate the help.

Thats fine if the Death Valley disc has no data on it. But when I get to Nephele I still don't know how to read them.

I've clicked on it etc. etc. I don't know how to read it to even know if it has any data on it or not. One of the above poster sent me there (Death Valley) telling me that this data disc would tell me what to do or where to go next.

I think I will just make a thread asking how to read the data disc.

Is it a secret that nobody wants to tell me?

I've used the search and what I've seen are arguments about whether the story starts in Death Valley or Nephele or another place.........Altair I think. I don't care which one because if I don't know how to read the data discs......it is moot.

OK, I now tried selling it and nothing happens. Except I get 9,000,000 credits. I saved first so I can still get it back.

wth??

Hmmm

Just a little more help.....please.

I have tried everything I know of to "read" the data disc.
    I've clicked on it. Double clicked on it. Went to my neural net. Looked at trade routes. Ejected it and re-retrieved it thinking it said something when you target it.

I know I can sell it for lots of money but thats about it. It doesn't tell me to do anything.

I've been studying this site:
    http://www.crossfire.swat-portal.de/database/Maps/maps.htm
    Playing singleplayer. Maybe some of these are only available multiplayer???? Maybe some were gonna be in the mod but didn't make it??

There are some places I'd like to visit but can't find a way to get there. I have even gone so far as to diagram the systems and it seems like there is no way to get to some of the systems listed on the above site.

For example: Styx says it has a jumphole to SOL but SOL has no jumphole to Styx. Lower Unknown says it has a jumphole to Omicron Gamma but Omicron Gamma has no jumphole to Lower Unknown. Omicron Gamma does have a jumphole to "unknown"........I have been there.......it takes you on and endless journey through territories filled with Nomad all named "unknown" until the last system where you fly into a planet called "paradise" something or other. Whats funny is if your at the last place and you look at the universe map it looks like your in Death Valley but your not. Wierd.
    I mention those 2 systems because to get into either one, Styx or Lower Unknown would, ostensibly, get you into all of the Coalition, Dom Kavash and Nomad systems.
    Am I on a wild goose chase??

Well, I agree that it is hard to imagine that a gun is bugged when you can shoot it without CTD. I can buy Advanced Debilitators, install them in my ship and shoot them into open space to my hearts content.

BUT....... with Advanced Dibilitators installed, shooting at an enemy ship and not into open space, right before the enemy ship blows up, or it might even be simultaneously I can't tell, I get CTD. Unequip them and no CTD.

SO.......I went and sold them, flew around a little bit then went and bought some more Advanced Debilitators and CTD immediately returned.

THEN......I made a save game so I could fly the same mission over and over and the result was the same. I could fly and complete the mission, destroying many ships along the way, as long as I didn't have Advanced Debilitators installed.

OK......one more question on this Lane Hacker thing cause I know this isn't the place for it but.....

I think I know what you mean but I'm not sure. I found a list on the net of where your supposed to be able to go to find people who offer the bribes you want. (hate cheating but it takes so long to go everywhere and I want to get into the cool new systems with max equipment I can)
    Have gone to a couple of them and no one is there to offer me the bribe to hack my standing with the Lane Hackers for me like the list says they would be. (Like I was able to find for the Zoners etc. etc.)

I have seen forum posts elsewhere that have alluded to this thing where to get to one faction you have to be friends with another but nothing in great detail and what detail was there showed that you had to go to the actual faction homeworlds. Well, let me tell you, none of those people are gonna let me land on their planet. They all HATE me. Libery Rogues, Outcasts, Lane Hackers, Unioners, Red Hessians........I am good with the Blood Dragons and thats about it when it comes to the pirates in the game.

So is it a pipe dream, at this point, that I am gonna land on a base and someone is gonna offer to up my rep with the Lane Hackers for a fee??

If so, can you give me just a few more nuggets of what I should do?

Good call on the Debilitators.
    Actually it was the Advanced Debilitator that caused the problem. Switched back to regular Debilitators and no problem.
    Went back to Oasis and waxed an entire job board and captured 50 Lieutenants. :D fun fun

NOW........ does someone know where I can bribe the Lane Hackers so I can get me one of those Xenon Thrusters. ;)

On the Debilitators. Yes. As a matter of fact, I just upgraded to Advanced Debilitators (sheesh...you really need shield killers in this game.....I almost quit playing this mod before I tried using Advanced Stunpulse........cut my combat time in half). I'd forgot about that. I went to Detroit Munitions right before I went to Junyo. I had been using the regular Debilitators with no problem.

I'll try changing weapons and see if that works. If not, I'll try cutting back the graphics. Will report back later tonight.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

btw......In the past I've had to disable 3D sound.....I noticed the other day that it was enabled but I wasn't having any problems so........I'll try turning that off too.

This is with Crossfire 1.7 installed.
    I have been playing for a couple of weeks now, finally have an Eagle and getting ready to explore the additional systems. Went to Junyo and bought a Mark IV shield upgrade. Before this, game is working fine. So I'm traveling through Galileo heading back to Oasis, now that I've got some muscle :), trade lane is disrupted and as soon as I shoot a ship, I get CTD. So, instead of heading to Oasis, thinking it's just a bad save or something I resave and take a mission on Junyo and same thing. As soon as I shoot a ship, CTD. Is there a known bug with the Mark IV shield upgrade?

Only other thing I can think of that I did before combat is also bought a scanner upgrade.

???

OK
    Here's a wierd one.

If I start a new game, while the destruction of Freeport 7 cutscene is playing, if I load the savegame that takes you to the screenshot I took, the menu is now there.

If I exit the game and just load the savegame, no menu.

Anyway, at least I can now launch and maybe it will save the settings and all will be good.

Better go fix all the wierd FOV numbers I was trying. :D

Embarrasing, but I don't know how to post a screenshot. :O I clicked on IMG but I don't know what it's asking for. I took one but.......I could e-mail it if somebody thinks it would help.

Anyway, impossible to undock since the symbol to undock is one of the ones at the top that I can't see.

I'll mess around with the Camera.ini and see if I can get the right setting. Anybody know which one affects that screen. Just don't know why it would work fine in vanilla but not Crossfire. It's the exact same files and folders just in the flmm/mods directory instead of the Freelancer directory.

I don't remember but I could swear I've played at higher resolutions before. At least 1280x1024 but the max the game is offering me is 1152x864x32. The comp is a P4 3.0 with a 6600GT. That should be plenty I'm thinking. I do get the message when I first start the game that it doesn't recognize my video card.

?(

Hi there.

I followed the directions in the link for 1680x1050 and it kind of works.

Only problem is after the intro plays and it's time for me to go find a job in the bar, theres nothing at the top of the screen for me to click on. The symbols for the bar, equipment dealer, ship dealer etc. etc. are gone. I can just barely see the bottom of the box that they are normally in.

I tried the fix in vanilla Freelancer and it worked just fine. No luck in Crossfire though???

Help

(I retried it like a thousand times)