Posts by Spank

Originally posted by lucy in the sky
    Hi again, Spank
    maybe i'm old fashioned, but when I meet you online and send a "Hello, Spank, welcome to the server, have fun" it would be real nice to get an answer.

If you don't know howto: Press "Y", click on the charname you want to say something to, write your message, press "Enter".

I didn't see it, I'm sorry. Sometimes I minimize my game, I flew into a planet (again) the othere day :P I can dodge enemy ships but MAN those planets, I just can't get away! They're too fast :(

I was trading prisoners and another item, fuel I think, back and forth, 300k a trip on the prisoners. I have about 1.5mil so far I think, not too bad. Pirate attacks are certainly a whole lot more fun now. I don't even know why i bought any turrents for my ship, if I stop long enough to use them I'd be dead in 30 seconds.

This looks like the right forum for this :P

Well, finally got the mod running and have been doing some playing. I found one thing out rather quickly...

Combat is tough.

I spent alot of time on freelancer when it first came out, always single player though, I loved it, loved how it looked and the fun of exploring the systems. Now I know I'm out of shape as a freelancer pilot.. but man, these NPCs are insanely hard. I can stay on their tail enough to knock down their shields and then it takes some work knocking down the hull, killing them seems impossible.

I made the mistake of buying a new ship in New York, so I restarted my account and went off and found myself a Barracuda heavy Fighter, I filled every weapon slot with the best weapon I could purchase at the time, Scrambler 1s. (I never was much of a missle person) So, I have six Scrambler 1s to blast away at the enemy with, the only problem is they repair and their shields restore way too fast in combat. They can't kill me, I can't kill them, every battle is pretty much a stalemate. I have managed to kill one NPC pilot so far.

Is this just how it normally is until later in the game or should I have bought other equipment, crossfire weapons that are better than vanilla weapons maybe? I got the best I could for 150k I though. I'm currently using a heavy fighter for trading >_<.

Atleast my cargo is safe.....

I'd love to hear any suggestions and tips for a new CF player. I did a search of the forums using some key words, such as tips, but didn't come across much information.

Another thing, I see things on ASF and CSF, but I have yet to see anything that says what each of those abbreviations stand for.

It's a big mod, lots of information to absorb. I did find this in the welcoming thread, so I'll be trying to go through it. http://www.crossfire.swat-portal.de/database/forums.htm Some of the links are dead it appears though.

Last question, that link lists Crossfire ships aswell, including capital ships, are these player purchasable, or is it NPCs that use them?

Thanks for any and all tips and suggestions. Thanks for actually taking the time to read this if anyone does :P

See you ingame, if you see Spank flying around, that's me.

I just went in and did a fresh install/update in safemode, restarted into windows, disabled everything extra running in windows, the game still will not launch with crossfire activated.

Son of a monkey....

Guess what I just did.

I looked around in the freelancer folder, FLMM was putting everything in a mod folder inside the freelancer game folder, not installing it into the main freelancer folder. I copied everything in the mod folder into the main freelancer folder and the game booted right up.

The game does not launch, even if I check the task manager it doesn't show up in there, there is no EULA coming up. There's nothing down in the task bar, i've even tried alt tabbing incase it is somehow invisible, nothing happens. I've let the computer sit for a little bit, nothing happens.

I don't run a software firewall or an antivirus. I run a few messengers, BOINC, and Steam. I also have Daemon Tools runs... I don't see how that could affect anything... but... anything's possible.

I'll disable that and see what happens.

well, just tried that, still nothing. I click single/multi and get an hour glass icon for a brief second then nothing happens.

Now I just disabled the mod, if I try to launch freelancer normally, I get "The application failed to inialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application"

Checking it out, this is the first thing I get from google "The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations."

Now I only have this issue after disabling crossfire and trying to run freelancer.

Could I somehow have a bad copy of Crossfire even if I have downloaded it from two different locations?

There is no EULA if I give it a fresh install and run the mod, I've even tried running the game before starting the mod and accepting the EULA and then enabling the mod.

When uninstalling the game I've told it to delete profiles/savegames/screenshots etc, I'll just have to manually check I guess.

I'll install it on the drive I have windows installed on and see what happens. This'll be the fifth time I've reinstalled the game.

I haven't played Freelancer in years and had been reading about this mod off and on for months and decided to check it out.

I have a problem, it won't run.

I can run Freelancer without any issues at all.

To start off, Ive followed the install guide here: http://www.swat-portal.com/portal/download/CFguide.swf to a T, up to step 11 anyways, and still cant get the game to launch. The Crossfire launcher comes up, I let it update, and when I click to launch a multiplayer or singleplayer game, it closes and nothing happens.

I've tried restarting after the Freelancer install, I've tried installing the 1.1 patch just incase that wasn't listed as a needed step, I've tried launching the singleplayer before crossfire patched everything and it had the same problem. I rubbed Picards head with the mouse pointer to see if that would help, it didn't. I've downloaded Crossfire 1.7 from two different locations, on the SWAT website and from Filefront. I've started freelancer and accepted the agreement/whatever it is and then started the mod and nothing has changed.

I don't know if this could matter, but I'm installing the game on a seperate HD instead of C, I'm putting all my games on the E drive. I installed Freelancer, FLMM and then the crossfire mod all there. I'm running WinXP SP2 and I've not installed any other FL mods.