Posts by Igiss

Yes, that's true. Discovery RP server was subject to a massive ddos-type attack run from servers belonging to several major web hosts (including Dreamhost). Then the same attack was run against Discovery USA server where it put the whole datacenter offline. Casual routers were unable to block the attack (got overloaded).

We sent abuse reports to all concerned parties, and there was some feedback, but some hosts were reluctant to help.

So, the attack wasn't using any FLServer-related exploits, could be targeted against any server, but apparently our game servers were chosen victims.

And thanks for the feedback on the fair play note OPR8R, we'll try to move in same direction in future.

Ok, I apologize that someone named your project (or, rather, your request) little. Person who said it yet has nothing to do with our dev team, and one of our team modellers (Angel of Mercy) gave you a completely sensible reply. This wasn't a request for our ship. This was a request for Discovery modellers to make and re-skin custom ships for you, with "ASAP" included in the topic title.

Again, you judge the whole community by the response of one random person.

I dont have it and never really was interested in it but just by the stuff that is written on the forum where even discussions exist with tons of CF screenshots, movies and suggestions to take the ships that are in CF (in one thread even with the suggestion not to ask) and with the more and more equal structures of both mods (judging by your forum you never wanted the coalition to be in there but now there are discussions about the coalition being in there with similar story related background like CF has -> just an example) I have to assume that discovery puts much engery into observing what other mods have to offer.

I don't think that we are observing any mods for new features, except for the ENB mod for bloom (which wasn't meant for Freelancer anyway). Coalition remnant is based exclusively on user-submitted content and has one system, without any role in the mod's storyline. I have already asked moderators to be more attentive on content related to other mods, but it's not surprising that on a forum with almost half a million posts we cannot watch each and every thread. We will also make our policy related to the mod team member activities in other communities more strict.

that statement was purely about the 2008 awards

and the reason to think so is..?

You want to know who is doing all that shit? Take a look at your forum... take a look on all those fanboys in the FL community which cry "discovery is the best FL mod".
    you will find plenty of them.
    And even if they are not part of the official team they respresent discovery.

Ok, at least two names are mentioned. I've never heard of anyone named "Leadcrows", and if I'm not mistaken, "hodlum" must be Hoodlum, our server admin (yeah, some people never get offended when their nicks are misspelled). Ok, something to start with. "Permitting something is often as worse as doing it." - did I permit anything? You really think that I must control each and every action of any team member? "They make decisions".

TLR, SWAT, FLC, TSP, DB, EOA... we keep FL running... discovery only takes advantage of what we do... respect and support is not just a one way road.

Can I ask to bring the leaders of all those sites so that they could confirm that they share your position and you are speaking on their behalf? Otherwise, you are speaking only on behalf of SWAT. You mention Rankor, ok, him I'll ask myself.

Discovery only takes... you take features, tools, ideas, players...

We take features that most mods have. What do you mean by "taking tools" I don't know, maybe modders who don't make their own tools should restrain from using others' tools? About taking ideas I'd ask for proof. About taking players... sorry, what? We force someone to play our mod and not the others?

Unlike some other mod creators, I've never been against using original Discovery assets (including models) in other mods. Unlike some other communities, our board is completely open for non-registered members to read and download everything what we've got there. I didn't keep track of tutorials, but we did release FL-related software, including Korrd's account manager and Cannon's serverside tools with are now hosted at Starport. You say that our mod is not innovative (yet a year ago you described it as "one of the best"), but whatever "minor" innovations we have are all available for public on our forums (and in our files). Yet, you yourself said that

Someone could say now "but OP-R8R announced on TLR not to share his knowledge with us other modders". Right thats what I did. I don't know everything about modding but my knowledge about lancer goes far beyond what many other modders can imagine. I think i was able to prove this often enough with my work and all the concepts that i created in the past. But why wouldnt i share my knowledge? Am I selfish?
    Well i am selfish to the part that i want that my work being recognized as my work.

In any case, I will probably get in touch with the leaders of TLR and Starport about what else could we do.

you can call your mod the award winning FL mod until the end of the time if you want...

Ok, let's see how modestly you describe your own mod. "Crossfire is the most complex mod for Freelancer. It was designed to show what possibilities and features are still possible in Freelancer." "It is a very cool RP server". "comes along with the most advanced cheat protection that has been developed for Freelancer". Advertising laws of all countries prohibit using "most" and "best" in commercials, either completely, or unless they are backed by independent analysis. Also, should I be ashamed that we got an award? Should we conceal this from public?

This thread alone has done much more harm to FL than anything that I have not done over the last 3 years. You say that a flame war has to be stopped after you start it. You accuse me of "my people" (who don't belong to me, cause I'm not a slave runner or head of a prison camp) saying the same things about other mods that SWAT members openly say here.

Well, i still see some results.

What results? The community gets accused of an array of things that either never happened, or happened on behalf of a few individuals who don't represent the whole community in any way. The community gets threatened with depriving it of community promotion resources (am I understanding "was going to block and remove everything discovery realted from this Freelancer community and discuss this matter also with with the other FL communities out there" correctly?) that we hardly ever used other than for announcing another mod update. I don't think that I ever submitted our last releast (4.84) anywhere except for ModDB. SWAT supported us by hosting downloads? Was not aware, thanks, we never asked... thanks for mentioning us in your promotional newsletter for MOTY-2008, but I'd ask not to do such things again without my approval.

I have no idea what are your reasons to threaten us with rallying FL sites against us, or starting a worldwide flame war. I said that I care about Discovery mainly, and you can use it against me as many times as you wish, but at least I'm not attempting to do more harm.

The main difference between our communities is that when you post such thread, the community members rally to support you. If I posted such thread on Discovery, people would think that my account was stolen. Whatever you say about Disco, but such sort of announcement is completely unimaginable there.

Is this kind of attention towards Discovery related to us releasing the mod trailer just hours before this thread appeared? Or is it mere coincidence? Ok, let's get to the subject.

Some of our members post about borrowing features and ships from other mods. It's true, and although I never tracked Crossfire mentions on Discovery, I did see a few of such posts myself. But I have to ask: is this a crime of some sort? Can the whole community be blamed for some people wanting to borrow features? We devs never planned on doing such things, and never supported those ideas. I haven't downloaded or played Crossfire, so I'm not sure what of your features we have and what we don't. If there are some features that are present in both mods, it wasn't intentional. If there were cases of copyright infringement, inform me, and we'll resolve that.

btw, i'm starting to wonder that a house called "Gallia" there isn't simple coincidence... Hey ppl, what about a Italian and a South-American, or another house to get the 8, and then start a big-scale war with Bretonia neutral?

- Could you please explain what you mean?

Talking about ModDB, I must apologize. What you are saying is true. I did react on us not reaching Top-100 in a more emotional way than I should have. My claims about 3rd place were not grounded. Also, we truly have to get away from childish praising-type promotion. We should've outgrown this by now.

I don't see anything wrong in saying "vote for Discovery" instead of "vote for FL mods". Never thought of myself as a crusader fighting for the good of all Freelancer mods/communities, the game as a whole, and never said that. I do care mainly about Discovery community, our players, and our mod, and it's true: call me a selfish egoist for that.

I voted Discovery for the third time ...
    Hoodlum

Third time in three years when we participated in the contest. 2006, 2007, 2008. Is this also a crime?

Explaination: at moddb every mod can be rated from 1-10.... when the awards started some idiots manipulated that rating by doing massive 1 votes.... in case of Crossfire our rating when from 9.1 down to 8.7 which is not much because CF already had many high votes.... other mods with less votes dropped from 9 to 5-7.

Ok, this is a serious accusation. I never tracked the mod rating on ModDB. Do you have any proof? I will inquire ModDB administrators on this subject. You'll probably say that I'm lying, but our mod devs and me are not behind those cheating attempts, even if they ever took place.

As for various Crossfire-bashing and Discovery-praising posts on our forums and elsewhere. Again, there are some members in our community who can do this, but such things were never officially inspired by me, and I'm the only one in charge of all promotion and community relations for the Discovery mod. All other people are expressing their own personal opinion, like you are in this thread, unless their posts are backed by my own posts.

so stop claiming that others dont work hard... and please stop presenting discovery like it would dominate the entire freelancer community and that it would be so innovative that all others look like little school boys <...> In the past weeks I had to deal with 2 official discovery representatives and got sick very fast of their respectless comments against other mods and communities

Like I explained, they were not official Discovery representatives and couldn't be. Who were they? Who said that? Again, I never inspired or supported such talks. If there's anyone from our team involved in this, I'll talk to those people - you are right that they should be responsible for their words cause they represent the community in a certain way, yet this doesn't mean that whole community should be held responsible for what they say. Just to make it clear: Angelfire is not part of the dev team, not a server admin, not a moderator.

We never officially compared Discovery with any other mods, and never claimed than Discovery is better or more innovative than any other Freelancer mods. All that was said in our mod description and official documents is merely stating the mod features and facts about the mod and server. Everything else is NOT the position of myself, "community leaders", or the community on the whole, but rather personal opinions of particular members. If you have problems with them, solve your problems with them personally. Again, I haven't seen the threads in question on TLR, but I can say that neither me nor any other community leaders inspired any sort of advertizing campaign in other communities. So, I would appreciate if you link me to TLR threads (and threads on other boards) where those discussions took place.

Also, it's strange that an offensive "DiscoveryRulez" post appeared here before anyone from Discovery, me included, knew about this thread. I wonder who is this guy, can you share the IP? If he's from our board, he should be sanctioned. Honestly, I don't believe that he's from Disco, since we there don't tolerate this kind of attitude to anything.

Meanwhile, I thank SWAT_OP-R8R for constructive criticism. I still consider SWAT community a friendly one, and I'll do everything that depends on me to avoid a flame war related to this subject.

Regards,
    Alexander

The conflict that's being discussed here started even before I got involved into FL modding. So, I have no idea when and how it started in the first place, but it's no secret there were hostilities going on around (and inside) TLR during previous several years, reaching their pinnacle in the recent months. Never thought that modding scene could involve such harsh and unhealthy competition, and never encountered anything like it elsewhere. I believe the original cause was the excessive will of many people to show and prove that they have better modding, administration, design, and community leadership skills than everyone else, that the mod/server/site/forum they are running is better than others, getting more downloads or more player attention. Over time it all just developed into personal hatred of certain individuals towards each other. And since the individuals unfortunately appear to be to be admins of FL communities, the hostility spread along community members as well.

Seems that everyone forgot that mods are made to make the game more versatile and appeal to wider player base. Every modder, in theory, should be interested in their competitor's success as much as he/she's interested in success of his/her own mod. Also in theory, ethics should be prevalent in how mod makers treat each other, and constantly referring to own mod as "most", "best" and "THE one" is very far from any ethics. It's for players to decide, and since tastes differ, calling one's mod the best would be true only for part of the playerbase.

Anyway, to more recent events - since arguing about mods is minor trouble compared to what happens now. With TLR down and global server down, it's inevitable that Freelancer will lose a large percent of its previous playerbase. As if it wasn't enough, right now, when TLR is back, we have two communities competiting with each other, and two possible future "global list server" solutions. I was present at TLR chat meeting for a short while. The constant spam that was going on there made any normal discussion impossible. One of Discovery admins was there for much longer than me, and several days later got back to me saying that I should never deal with TLR or their admins again cause they want to put everyone under their control. Never got much detail over what was actually offered about uniting all FL communities within TLR, but it's obvious that any offers that require placing own forums/portals under someone else's administration and under TLR banner is not an option for most FL server owners. The idea, if it ever existed, was dropped shortly afterwards, since right now TLR only offers placing links to server websites and forums. What's wrong with that I cannot see. I also cannot see what's wrong (or surprising) in the fact that rebuilding TLR mod/tool database takes a long time. Lancer's Reactor, despite of technical issues that were present before the shutdown, and even despite the lack of content after it was re-launched, is the place that many people still consider to be the central hub of all English-speaking FL community.

When I got the e-mail from SWAT offering hosting space/updates/other services on the portal, I was quite surprised. There's nothing wrong about SWAT in general, but for a community where members were well taught to praise the work of local moders and undermine (if not despise) the work of everyone else it's quite strange to act as possible TLR replacement. The example is right here. R8R said in his previous long post that generally he'd prefer TLR to exist and prosper, but without Louva in charge. However, in his post dating January 3rd he did not mention his name at all, while still posting lots of negative stuff about TLR. bakedpotato later said that the info provided was mostly lies, yet no one even bothered to ask what was wrong, with everyone busy with endless praising R8R for doing good job, and flaming TLR admins. Since there was no relevant posts on TLR itself describing why was it shut down, the picture is again pretty vague. Maybe bakedpotato should simply post what actually happened? Anyway, returning to the SWAT offer. If I can use SWAT as a host for Discovery mod in addition to TLR, I'd use such opportunity. But what about posting news, or discussing anything in forums? I expect that I would get comments similar to what Crossfire supporters post about Discovery on Mod DB. Humiliation and insults, or at least saying it's inferior to Crossfire. This attitude won't change overnight only because some independent modders/players joined this place after TLR went offline.

As for TLR, well, when one of their admins (or someone posing to be one?) comes here and disgraces himself with petty flaming (don't like theme, don't like tagline) it becomes obvious that something's wrong as well. But it's more related to admins personally, not the site they are running, and not the way they run the site (same can be said about Louva logs, although I have no idea to what they are related. In any case, racist talks, like flames, are a disgrace for a person who's saying, not for those who hear or any nation). A year ago, when I submitted news on TLR that Discovery entered Mod DB's top-100 last year, one of TLR admins was first to accuse me that I did not post about the contest earlier, thus not giving others chance to participate. This secret contest I was trying to hide was running for 3 years before that, and no one ever paid attention. I replied that next year more competition would be welcome. The only competition was Crossfire (thankfully, we were not alone). A few other modders also began to pay more attention to the generous opportunities Mod DB provides. Most others simply ignored Mod DB for a year afterwards. I guess that if similar news would be submitted now, both me and R8R will get accused for concealing the existence of this event once again. But, em, this is called freedom of speech. I may not like it, but they have right to voice their opinion (unless they refuse to post the news in the first place, which TLR never did as long as I remember).

What would be ideal is for the Communities of SWAT and TLR is to work together as independent alternatives to each other. They should support each other and have friendship with each other. The truth of the matter is that there are many Communities out there and people will choose the ones they prefer. Not all will choose SWAT or TLR. SWAT and TLR should work to their mutual benefit as well as the benefit of all of the other Communities out there.

Sounds like an easy solution with one important question never answered. Who's in charge of the GLS replacement now? Since TLR has already posted a solution that works, why not use it universally? Until there's proof that TLR is biased and certain servers are removed/blocked from the GLS alternative by w0dk4, there's not much use in SWAT offering its own one. Fact that some of TLR admins expressed personal opinions in offensive way doesn't mean that they are going to ban anyone from GLS. There is place for two communities, but not for two GLS versions. Double GLS will be a bad thing for everyone.

Problem here is that no one seems to be interested in "peaceful co-existence". Since it's evident that friendship is no longer possible, and there will be competition, could you please leave the GLS in the one capable hands (if they prove to be capable), leave downloads where their authors want them to be, and stop immature and pointless flames from both sides. Thank you.