Posts by Bot

[feedquote='Wing Commander News','https://www.wcnews.com/index.shtml#14198']Prospective players who were trying to register for Wing Commander

Flat Universe

recently may have encountered an error while trying to set up their email/callsign. The

Maslas

Brothers

dug into the issue and believe they have it fixed now. The team is working on some exciting multiplayer plans for the near future, so now's a good time to dig in and hone your top-down Wing Commander shooting skills. Try it out

here

flatuniverse113t.jpgflatuniverse121t.jpgflatuniverse79t.jpg [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10880344-interview-with-chase-masterson%21'] Star Trek Online, the free-to-play online role-playing game based in the iconic Star Trek universe, is thrilled to reunite twelve of the original cast members from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for the new PC expansion, Victory is Life. Joining the crew aboard the infamous space station is Chase Masterson, who is reprising the role of Leeta, former Bajoran Dabo girl and wife to Ferenginar’s Grand Nagus, Rom. The Star Trek Online team had a chance to sit down with Chase after her recording session at Cryptic Studios to talk about her return to the game (Captains may remember as Mirror Universe Leeta in Season 11: New Dawn) and the incredible work she’s been doing with her anti-bullying organization, Pop Culture Hero Coalition. STO: Welcome back to Star Trek Online, Chase! Thank you for joining us. What is it like returning to the character of Leeta to see how she’s grown? Chase Masterson: I really value the opportunity to do this. Part of the reason why is that I get to show a really more mature Leeta. I get to walk in the shoes of a woman who has been in charge of an entire empire with Rom, for nearly 20 years now. She’s someone who has definitely grown and come into her own. That was something I felt like I really wanted to do for a long time now. We saw quite a lot of that on the show, but here we see a Leeta who has grown into her own shoes. She’s become an intelligent woman, a strategic thinker who is still very much adoring of her husband, but is able to walk beside him in a way that is extremely valuable. STO: One of the interesting things about the character of Leeta is that she started off as more of a comic relief and then grew over the course of Deep Space Nine. What was it like playing a role like that? CM: It was really interesting because a lot of people did see Leeta as eye candy. I’m grateful to say that she was in all the sweeps week episodes in that cat suit, and I think that was certainly one of the reasons why. But you have to credit our amazing writing team under the direction of Ira Behr for her growth and René Echevarria, who created Leeta; she was never just a Dabo girl, she was never just eye candy and they always had more of a vision for her than that. They had a vision of a woman who was very compassionate and knew how to stand up for justice. This is a woman who was more than what she looked like. That is such a Star Trek message. It’s what Leeta sees in Rom. He’s not just a book you can judge by his cover, he’s so much more. And that speaks to us in a way that is very important. We are not just what the world sometimes sees, we are so much more. It’s a very solid message of being a hero for yourself and other people. STO: Even after all these years, Deep Space Nine still resonates with so many. Why do you think that is? CM: Ira Behr told us during our fifth season that he thought this was a show that was going to get more popular with time, rather than less. Now that shows can be streamed, people can watch the show in a way that is not as haphazard as it was before. Deep Space Nine was so groundbreaking in terms of it being one of the first serialized shows on television and that’s very much thanks to Michael Piller and of course, Ira Behr. I think this may have intimated fans initially. The show trusted its audience but also demanded a lot. We wanted you to get immersed in the storyline so you tune in every day. Now that’s possible and we see new audiences every day. STO: Today you were one of the first to check out the Deep Space Nine space station in our new expansion, Victory is Life. What did you think? CM: First of all, Quark’s Bar is just amazing. I want to just go there, and damn it, I want to play Dabo! I want to be one of the players. It’s just such a fun place to be. The atmosphere is perfect. I can hear the music as you take me down that promenade. It just feels like home. STO: Is it weird seeing Deep Space Nine as a fully realized 3D space? CM: It really is. When we did the show, we really couldn’t just walk around Deep Space Nine, because part of it was on Stage 4 and some of it was on Stage 7. It was always in pieces for us. This is actually the most cohesive look at Deep Space Nine. This is the answer when fans ask if there will be a Deep Space Nine movie. Unfortunately not, but this is in place of it. The continuation of these stories, it’s really incredible. STO: We wanted to ask you about the anti-bullying organization you started, Pop Culture Hero Coalition. Can you tell us a little more about how you got started? I heard about a little girl who was bullied for liking Star Wars. She was a little girl in Evanston, Illinois and the boys were following her around school saying “You can’t like Star Wars, you’re a girl.” Her mom Carrie Goldman asked if any women who like Star Wars or science could encourage her daughter. Hundreds of us responded telling her, “I love science. I love science fiction. Katie, you be you.” I was one of the ones who responded and so we kept in touch. Carrie decided to write a book to end bullying because she saw what a huge issue it was. It’s called “Bullied: What Every Parent, Teacher and Kid Needs To Know About Ending the Cycle of Fear” and I highly recommend it. She asked me to help get her book into Comic Con and that’s when it all came together for me. I said, “Yes, let’s get it into Comic Con, but let’s do more. Let’s form a coalition to get every fan of Star Wars, Star Trek and all the other genres together with social justice organizations and end bullying.” So forming this intersection between pop culture and social justice, leading people to be the heroes we see on screen is what it’s all about. We are working with clinical psychologists to create anti-bullying curriculum for schools, which we anticipate piloting in the fall of 2018. We’re working with some fantastic organizations that are helping us base it on evidence. So this is not just ideas, this is solid psychological exercises that we’re working on. People are saying we’re already making a difference, that we’re already saving lives. STO: That’s incredible! Do you have any messages for those who have experienced bullying first hand? CM: First off, I want to say to you and anyone else out there, if you were ever bullied, it was never your fault, ever. Not a bit of it. It’s true and it’s really very important to always keep that in mind. Quite frankly, bullying always comes out of the pain of the other person. The minute you see someone being mean to someone else, you know it’s because of fear and insecurity. They need some momentary feeling of power but it’s not real power. Compassion and empathy is power. That’s where our real capabilities to be human come in. STO: Thank you so much for joining us, Chase. It’s been such a pleasure! CM: I’m really grateful to be here. You guys are doing amazing work. Thanks for continuing our stories! Star Trek Online: Victory is Life, will launch on PC in June and later on consoles. To download and play Star Trek Online today for free, visit http://www.playstartrekonline.com. Join Chase Masterson aboard Star Trek: The Cruise! Click here to enter to win a six-day cruise to the Caribbean alongside Star Trek’s most popular stars. To learn how you can support the Pop Culture Hero Coalition, please visit http://www.popculturehero.org/. Star Trek Online is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online game where players can pioneer their own destiny as Captain of a Federation starship, become a Klingon Warrior and champion the Empire through the far reaches of the galaxy, or rebuild the Romulan legacy as the commander of a Romulan Republic Warbird. In Star Trek Online, players have the opportunity to visit iconic locations from the popular Star Trek universe, reach out to unexplored star systems and make contact with new alien species. Star Trek Online is currently available on PC, PlayStation®4 and Xbox One. .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(http://images-cdn.perfectworld…157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height: 60px; width: 60px; padding: 0; border: 1px solid transparent; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } .share-footer .TI { background-position: 0 20%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .TW { background-position: 0 60%; } .share-footer .FO { background-position: 0 80%; } .FB:hover { background-position: 100% 0%; } .TI:hover { background-position: 100% 20%; } .YT:hover { background-position: 100% 40%; } .TW:hover { background-position: 100% 60%; } .FO:hover { background-position: 100% 80%; } .share-footer a:hover { opacity: 1; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } $(document).ready( function() { $('.show-lightbox').click(function() { var $el = $(this); var link = $el.data().lightbox; $.colorbox({href: link, maxWidth: '90%', maxHeight: '90%', scalePhotos: true}); }); }); .headerimage { border: 2px inset rgba(255, 255, 255, .05); border-radius: 2em; box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); -webkit-transition: all 500ms ease; -moz-transition: all 500ms ease; -ms-transition: all 500ms ease; -o-transition: all 500ms ease; transition: all 500ms ease; } [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10882224-%22moving-shadows%22'] The night sky was still split by the occasional flash. Fighting in orbit was barely visible on the surface, but the explosion when a ship met its end was too big to miss, and the pieces raining down through the atmosphere left fiery orange trails reminiscent of meteors. His watery eyes showing only blurry images of the tiny explosions dotting the sky, Hakken struggled to stand. A dark form loomed over him and then a pair of hands gripped his arms, then another. A pair of people lifted him to his feet. He blinked his eyes several times and looked behind him. The restaurant had collapsed; he was lucky enough to have cleared the doorway right before the explosion. Rubble surrounded the street, and the blue fronds of the decorative grasses were scorched and torn. Hakken tried to right himself but shooting pain in his hip left him leaning heavily on the two people holding his arms. “I… I think I am injured,” he managed to say. Gasping from the jarring pain, he closed his eyes again briefly, then took in his rescuers. His eyes finally focused. One of the rescuers was an older woman with graying hair and wrinkles about her narrow eyes. Despite her apparent age, she was still spry, and her thin fingers held firmly to his arm. She wore a loose gray robe with a carrying pouch belted to the side. Her companion was a young boy, a teenager perhaps, with a glittering, fashionable kaftan and black trousers. Both had a similar pattern of ridges to either side of the dorsal ridge rising up from their noses to the tops of their heads, so they were probably relatives. Grandmother and grandson, possibly. “What’s happening?” managed Hakken. His voice croaked with dust that choked his throat. He coughed and swallowed, then tried to speak again. “There was warning of some kind of attack, then suddenly… it happened so fast.” The older woman replied, “Yes, an attack. Marauding space monsters! Hordes of them flying past the picket ships and streaking to the ground, smashing into things and creating dust and explosions.” She chuckled in the fearsome way that only an old woman could do. Hakken tilted his head sideways in some confusion. “How is that possible? The Dominion… the Dominion should be protecting us.” The young boy took on a haughty countenance and said, “It’s only a matter of time! They’ll be here! The Jem’Hadar will wipe out all of our enemies.” The older woman shook her head sadly. “The aliens have already landed; we can’t wait for help. We need to reach the shelter station.” Hakken caught his bearings. Shelter station… not too far; the restaurant was just five blocks from one. Lucky again. He turned slightly and fire lanced through his hip. Wincing, he leaned on the boy for support. “I’m hurt,” he said. “I don’t think I can walk on my own.” The boy shifted and wrapped Hakken’s arm around his shoulders and said, “I’ll help you. Come on! We can get there and then we can find out what the Dominion is doing and when the invaders will be dead.” The old woman released her grip and moved up to the edge of the ruined restaurant, then, hugging the partially-collapsed wall, she peeked out at the thoroughfare. No grav sleds cruised its lanes now; the only sounds were the moans of the dying and the sparks of a ruined power grid. With the artificial lights destroyed, the night was terrifyingly dark. Hakken swallowed. “I’m a local here,” he said. “The shelter station is that way – only five blocks. We can make it if it’s not blocked by rubble. There’s a park two blocks down. It’s a large, open space; there won’t be anything to collapse and block the way if we can get there.” A sudden scream cut through the night, and then went silent. A brief gurgle followed, then a very quiet, very fast clicking noise, like a bone rattle falling down a slate roof. “What was that?” said Hakken. “Are they… executing people?” “It’s one of the monsters,” said the old woman matter-of-factly. “We can’t stay. Lam, my boy? Let’s go.” The lad replied sullenly, “I wish you wouldn’t call me ‘my boy.’ I’m practically grown up.” Even so, Hakken felt his grip tighten briefly. The fear from that horrible sound had shaken him, too. “Come on. This way,” said Hakken. The trio painfully crossed the shattered lane and ducked under the half-fallen awning of a woolery. Dancing light played out of the doorway from the flames that engulfed the products within – blankets, clothing, fine dyed accoutrements. “Who would be foolish enough to attack Karemma?” wondered Hakken aloud. “Starting a war with the Dominion is neither profitable nor wise.” “I bet it’s the Klingons!” said the boy. “The ones from the Beta Quadrant! They love to fight everyone. And they’re stupid. They’d do it!” The old woman shushed the lad—Lam—and said, “It’s not Klingons. Klingons use disruptors and photon torpedoes. These invaders don’t. It was on the informer. They fly through space and tear apart ships and then they fall from the sky and land among us. Like that.” She pointed back toward the ruins of the restaurant, where a jagged chunk of rock stood out from the roof of the building. Studded with gray crystal and black rock, it was still smoking from its transit. Hakken gulped and said, “I suppose that at least I can be thankful that the restaurant was up to code.” The little group edged forward into the dark, picking out their route as best they could by the light of stars and fires. Past the woolery was an informer kiosk, the emergency cell still giving light, the screen cracked and showing only the flat, bifurcated disk indicating that it was offline. No information was forthcoming. The old woman frowned at the kiosk. “They could at least tell us that some kind of response is coming,” she said crossly, then kicked the rectangular obelisk. “Or leave up a map pointing to the shelter! Someone should’ve designed these better.” “Grandmother, I see something,” said Lam. He took one hand off Hakken to point. “Look, over there. It’s someone else.” Hakken craned his neck to look. Sure enough, another survivor, lying alone in the middle of the street, with dead bodies to either side. The survivor grasped weakly at the air but couldn’t rise. Knocked down by the blast shockwave, probably. “Help me get to him,” said Hakken. “I’m a… I’m a medic.” The old woman leaned against the informer kiosk as Lam and Hakken staggered to the poor unfortunate. In the dark, details were hard to make out, but Hakken could see that it was pointless. A huge, jagged hole punctured the man’s chest. The fact that he still had the strength to reach out at all was remarkable, but the burbling of his compromised chest cavity indicated that he was strangling to death. He wasn’t Karemman, either; his forehead bore the intricate blue tattoos of a Wadi, and he had an elegantly waxed moustache. “Can you save him?” asked Lam. Miserably, Hakken whispered, “If I had my medical kit… but I don’t. I was just having dinner. There’s nothing I can do for him now. Help me kneel down.” Lam took in a sharp breath as the reality of the crisis sunk in, and he helped Hakken to lower toward the ground. Hakken winced at the pain, then leaned close to the dying Wadi. The man couldn’t speak—his injury was too severe—but his eyes focused momentarily on Hakken. His reaching hand flailed and fell onto Hakken’s shoulder. He gripped at the Karemman’s shoulder and neck, blood smearing against Hakken’s orange skin, then he twisted his wrist and pointed before shuddering and dying. Hakken followed the man’s gesture and saw something moving in the second floor window of a residential building on the corner. It wasn’t a person, nor a domestic robot. It looked, from what little he could see, like a spindly insectoid made of stone. A broad head, like some kind of flattened oval with horns, twisted to a sharp angle and he had the distinct impression that it saw him. “We have to go,” Hakken gasped. Lam helped him up hurriedly and they rushed back toward the informer kiosk. “Come on! One of those things is out there!” The old woman grunted and said, “Then why are you wasting time here? Keep up!” She briskly advanced along the lane, passing the remains of small shop-fronts, fallen illuminators, and blasted wreckage from an overturned grav sled. Hakken panted as his hip ground painfully under the flesh. A simple job for a bone mender! But in this blasted wasteland of a battlefield he didn’t even have the time and resources to make a splint. “It’s coming!” shouted Lam. The doorway across the avenue crumpled as a three-clawed appendage forced it open. Shrouded by the dark, the rocky creature stepped out tentatively, then bent down slightly. Its legs eased backward into a crouch. “In here,” said the old woman. “Lam, through the building.” She pointed to the façade of a former holo recreation station. The back wall was collapsed, having been blown apart by another impact. The three scrambled into the partial cover of the building as the eerie clicking came from across the avenue. The old woman pointed behind the commerce counter. “Back there, so it can’t see us!” she hissed. The three moved painfully behind the counter. Lam sunk down, helping Hakken to the floor. Sweat beaded the boy’s face, from the effort of helping to support Hakken. The old woman crouched and rummaged through her carry pouch while Lam peeked out from around the corner. Hakken simply closed his eyes and tried to catch his breath. A gasp from Lam caused Hakken to open his eyes once more. The boy was scampering back on the smooth floor, and Hakken turned his head but couldn’t see around the corner without moving. He pushed up off the ground, trying to see something, anything, and realized that he could hear the clicking of the creature’s exoskeleton as its clawed feet slowly struck the floor—click, click, pause. Click, click, pause. The old woman hissed and turned in her crouch, then stood. From her carry pouch she pulled a holdout disruptor. She pointed and squeezed and the tiny pistol spat a sizzling bolt of green energy with a slight whining sound. Now Hakken could see the beast, as it rose up in response. It thrashed back and forth, and the old woman fired again. She took a step forward and fired a third time. The monster crashed backward against the wall, letting out a high-pitched squealing sound, and a shockwave ripped through the air. The holdout disruptor flew from her hand, her carry pouch spilled her few possessions and she spun around as a compressed blast of sonic energy smashed into her and flung her to the ground. Lam scurried on hands and knees to his grandmother. “Grandmama!” he whispered, panicked. From her bruised face, the old woman said, “Lam. Go. You need to…” Then she died, too. Hakken shifted and started crawling toward the far side of the building. Beyond the broken wall was the park, some of the bushes still on fire, and past that the shining white beacon of light that indicated the shelter station. “Come on,” Hakken said to Lam. He grabbed the boy’s arm, but Lam pushed him off. “You have to help her!” cried Lam. “She’s hurt!” “She’s dead,” said Hakken. “She tried to save us. Come on! We have to go in case the creature is still alive.” Choking down a sob, Lam let out a strangled grunt of rage, then he carefully brushed his grandmother’s gray hair. “She’ll wake up. She’s strong! You’ll see.” Hakken fought back his rising fear and frustration. “Look, you can see the shelter sign! It’s just over there! If we can reach the shelter we can get the militia to help. They can send someone to get her! Come on!” He tested his weight and found that he still couldn’t stand on his own. Painfully, he crawled to the blasted back wall, over the rubble, and out into the park. “Come on, Lam!” Lam shook his head, tears running down his cheeks, as the creature crawled out from around the corner of the commerce counter. Like Hakken, it pulled itself, crawling, pushing with one leg, the other a bubbling mass of metal and flesh that sizzled from the disruptor bolts. Hakken grabbed the nearest tree and pulled himself up, leaning against it, then hopped and pushed off to wobble and grab the next one. From somewhere behind him he heard a crunch and then the flop of a limp body. He didn’t stop to look back. There – a broken park bench. He flopped to the ground and crawled to it and picked up a length of the decorative wood planking. Testing it, he managed to get to his feet, leaning on the makeshift crutch. Click, pause, drag. Click, pause, drag, came the soft sounds from behind him. He kept moving, hobbling as best he could across the park. He ducked behind another tree and spared a glance back past the trunk. The creature continued to pull itself after him. Its claws glistened wetly in the dim firelight, and its head shivered and shook as it let out that odd pattern of rhythmic clicks. Was it laughing at him? Taunting him? It drew itself up and Hakken threw himself to the ground just in time as a sonic shockwave blasted the tree over his head. Wood fragments exploded outward, some painfully stabbing into his face. He blinked away the pain and tried to stand again, hobbling toward the shelter station. In a freakish, slow-motion chase, the creature crawled after him. He passed a bed of scorched flowers and a broken statue, then the makeshift crutch broke beneath his weight. He tumbled to the magnetized avenue and nearly passed out from the pain shooting through his hip. Rolling onto his back, he looked beyond his feet; the creature inexorably followed. He rolled back onto his belly and crawled, pushed, struggled, and grunted, his grunt slowly turning into a scream as he struggled toward the shelter station and its white flare of security. He reached, climbing up onto the far side of the avenue. He pushed, forcing himself up the low step onto the walkway. He struggled, his hand reaching out to the matte metal surface of the shelter station, designed to withstand even an orbital bombardment, coded to send Dominion distress signals, bearing enough underground shelter to protect a thousand refugees at once. His fingers brushed the door, sanctuary at last. The door did not open. Hakken struggled closer, pushed himself up on one hand. The control panel still glowed with its cool, impassive light. He reached as hard as he could and touched the panel. The system emitted an angry buzz, and the door make a squealing noise and refused to move. Hakken looked over his shoulder again, then turned over so that his back rested against the door. He reached up over his shoulder to keep pressing the pad, and again the angry buzz came. Across the avenue, the creature stopped. It tilted its head. It watched him. He let his arm drop to the ground and simply breathed, staring at it. Sweat dripped off his nose and stained his now dirty kaftan. He hefted the last fragment of the wooden plank. He and the creature stared at each other from across the avenue. Could he magnetize the lane and stop it? Override the controls and force the door open, using the plank as a lever? Call for an automated grav sled for pickup and hope that it would not recognize the creature as a person and might hit it, or just block it while he crawled in and it whisked him away? He ran through the possibilities at the speed of thought. He closed his eyes to concentrate. Click. Pause. Drag. Click. Pause. Drag. He opened his eyes. The creature had pulled itself off the walkway on the far side and into the middle of the avenue. Now… now, now, now… Now it reared its head up. He closed his eyes again. An alien scream pierced the evening air. Darkness. Jesse Heinig Staff Game Designer Star Trek Online .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(http://images-cdn.perfectworld…157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height: 60px; width: 60px; padding: 0; border: 1px solid transparent; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } .share-footer .TI { background-position: 0 20%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .TW { background-position: 0 60%; } .share-footer .FO { background-position: 0 80%; } .FB:hover { background-position: 100% 0%; } .TI:hover { background-position: 100% 20%; } .YT:hover { background-position: 100% 40%; } .TW:hover { background-position: 100% 60%; } .FO:hover { background-position: 100% 80%; } .share-footer a:hover { opacity: 1; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } $(document).ready( function() { $('.show-lightbox').click(function() { var $el = $(this); var link = $el.data().lightbox; $.colorbox({href: link, maxWidth: '90%', maxHeight: '90%', scalePhotos: true}); }); }); .headerimage { border: 2px inset rgba(255, 255, 255, .05); border-radius: 2em; box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); -webkit-transition: all 500ms ease; -moz-transition: all 500ms ease; -ms-transition: all 500ms ease; -o-transition: all 500ms ease; transition: all 500ms ease; } [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10883564-destination-star-trek-germany'] We are getting closer and closer to Destination Star Trek Germany, and the Star Trek Online Away Team is performing our final preparations for the convention! Swag has arrived, the booth is almost ready and the shuttle is getting loaded with all that is needed to see you in Dortmund from April 27th to April 29th. On Friday and Saturday, we will hold panels presenting Star Trek Online and the upcoming expansion “Victory is Life” on the Voyager Stage! Get exclusive insider information, see what is coming to Star Trek Online with Victory is Life and take the opportunity to ask the team your questions. The panel on Friday will start at 16:00 CEST and on Saturday at 10:30 CEST. Captains who attend Europe’s official Star Trek convention will have the chance to visit us at our booth, right next to the autograph section and the Star Trek Discovery Display area. You will get the latest updates on Star Trek Online: Victory is Life, you’ll be able to hop on Holodeck and play Star Trek Online from the convention on top of the line Alienware gaming laptops, and you’ll get your hands on a special in-game goodie from the team. Not only that, but our friends at Gameprint will be bringing a collection of the 3D Printed Star Trek Online ships for you to check out on the show floor! We can’t wait to see you there! Our Away Team is bringing plenty of swag for those of you that come say hi, including a holographic Geordie La Forge Bridge Officer. We’ll also have a limited amount of posters, t-shirts or caps that we’ll be giving away, and each and every visitor of the convention will find an iconic postcard in the convention’s goodies bag. Whatever you do, you won’t leave empty-handed. And since we’re in Germany, we certainly couldn’t pass on the opportunity to meet our fans in a local tradition: a beer garden. On Saturday, the away team will end the convention day at a nice local place right around the corner: Strobels Dortmund. Join us there around 19:00 CEST for refreshment and trek talk. We can’t wait to meet you all at Destination Star Trek Germany, Captains. We’ll see you there! .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(http://images-cdn.perfectworld…157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height: 60px; width: 60px; padding: 0; border: 1px solid transparent; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } .share-footer .TI { background-position: 0 20%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .TW { background-position: 0 60%; } .share-footer .FO { background-position: 0 80%; } .FB:hover { background-position: 100% 0%; } .TI:hover { background-position: 100% 20%; } .YT:hover { background-position: 100% 40%; } .TW:hover { background-position: 100% 60%; } .FO:hover { background-position: 100% 80%; } .share-footer a:hover { opacity: 1; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } $(document).ready( function() { $('.show-lightbox').click(function() { var $el = $(this); var link = $el.data().lightbox; $.colorbox({href: link, maxWidth: '90%', maxHeight: '90%', scalePhotos: true}); }); }); .headerimage { border: 2px inset rgba(255, 255, 255, .05); border-radius: 2em; box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); -webkit-transition: all 500ms ease; -moz-transition: all 500ms ease; -ms-transition: all 500ms ease; -o-transition: all 500ms ease; transition: all 500ms ease; } [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Wing Commander News','https://www.wcnews.com/index.shtml#14204']Here's a pretty slick Privateer 2 ad from the UK that LOAF recently ran across. Overall,

advertisements for The Darkening

are some of the most unique and clever out of the whole series. The left page is headlined by a more traditional "Trips worth taking" tagline, but the right side is a bit more tantalizing with extended text and pre-release screenshots. Check it out below!

p2_tripsworthtaking1t.jpgp2_tripsworthtaking2t.jpg

Turn on, Tune in and Bug out.

Welcome to the Trig-System, where your life is only as precious as your cargo, and your future only as bright as your piloting skills. In search of your lost identity, you'll have to bargain like Shylock, explore like Sherlock, and fight like a Warlock if you're ever to escape the threat of the mysterious Kindred.

It's a trip not to be missed.

[/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10880334-renegade%27s-regret-week-3-rewards%21'] Each week we’ll roll out new rewards for the Featured Episode “The Renegade's Regret.” The final week’s rewards is a new Melee Weapon – the Draconian Ceremonial Polearm. In addition, the first completion of this mission on an account this week will grant a Featured Episode Weekly Reward Box. This box gives your choice of an Enhanced Universal Tech Upgrade or a Captain Specialization Point Box, which gives the character who opens it a Specialization Point. The Weekly Reward Box, Tech Upgrade, and Specialization Point Box are all Bound to Account, and may be freely traded between your characters. The Specialization Point Box requires the opening character to be level 60. This Draconian Ceremonial Polearm was recovered from the blasted ruins of Draconis. It has absorbed a large amount of protomatter radiation, which may inflict additional wounds upon enemies when wielded. It has a variety of strikes when used in a combination series. Jette “CrypticSpartan” Leavens Systems Designer Star Trek Online .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(http://images-cdn.perfectworld…157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height: 60px; width: 60px; padding: 0; border: 1px solid transparent; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } .share-footer .TI { background-position: 0 20%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .TW { background-position: 0 60%; } .share-footer .FO { background-position: 0 80%; } .FB:hover { background-position: 100% 0%; } .TI:hover { background-position: 100% 20%; } .YT:hover { background-position: 100% 40%; } .TW:hover { background-position: 100% 60%; } .FO:hover { background-position: 100% 80%; } .share-footer a:hover { opacity: 1; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } $(document).ready( function() { $('.show-lightbox').click(function() { var $el = $(this); var link = $el.data().lightbox; $.colorbox({href: link, maxWidth: '90%', maxHeight: '90%', scalePhotos: true}); }); }); .headerimage { border: 2px inset rgba(255, 255, 255, .05); border-radius: 2em; box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); -webkit-transition: all 500ms ease; -moz-transition: all 500ms ease; -ms-transition: all 500ms ease; -o-transition: all 500ms ease; transition: all 500ms ease; } [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10882244-the-return-of-the-delta-recruits'] During the Iconian War, the best and brightest of the Alliance came together and began anew – training a new generation to take up arms in the greatest conflict the galaxy had ever seen. This new generation of officers had a name, one that’s rung throughout history. The Delta Recruits. We’re pleased to announce that, for the first time since 2015, the Delta Recruit program is returning, first to PC, and later to Xbox One and Playstation 4 for the very first time. Starfleet, the Klingon Defense Force, and the Romulan Republic have all kicked up their recruiting efforts. New captains in any of these factions will be known as Delta Recruits, and they bring with them the knowledge and capability needed to see to the future of the galaxy. There will never been a better time to start playing Star Trek Online than during the Delta Recruitment event, which runs from April 19th to May 17th on PC. Characters made during this time will be Delta Recruits, and they will earn a host of new benefits and rewards to aid them in their leveling experience. Delta Recruits are specifically designed to rapidly close the gap that exists between new characters and characters that have been in Star Trek Online for years. Delta Recruits had a secondary responsibility, and that was to prepare themselves, their crews, and their entire factions for the coming Iconian War. A mysterious benefactor, an experienced captain traveling back in time, will contact all Delta Recruits during their faction’s tutorial and inform them of the opportunities not to be missed during their career. Each faction’s own temporal agency can confirm that what this person said is true, and will guide them using the Delta Recruit window, a new UI element that appears near the Mission Tracker. Delta Recruits will be playing a parallel story to that of their chosen faction. They have a list of goals that they can achieve at any time, and completing these goals will see them rewarded with equipment, Marks, and other rewards beneficial not just to the Delta Recruit, but to all characters on the same account. Completing the story arcs of your chosen faction will reward you with a unique Starship Trait for all characters on your account: Temporal Insight. This trait will proc a Damage Immunity when you use any Hull Heal on your starship. Delta Recruits can only be created during the Delta Recruit event. These recruits can be recognized by the Delta Symbol (∆) next to their names. All Delta Recruits will have an inherent bonus trait during the Delta Recruit Event of generating Dilithium Ore upon defeating enemies, a bonus which extends to your entire group. This trait will only be available during this event and will be gone once the Delta Recruitment event ends, so gather your Dilithium Ore while you can! Additional rewards are gained by leveling up, (linked here is the original rewards blog, ignore the dates) playing through story content up through the Breen story arc, and finding special Delta Recruit objectives on certain mission maps. Many of the same things that players do while levelling their characters will earn Delta Recruits improved rewards! Get ready to make your Delta Recruit, and we'll see you in game! .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(http://images-cdn.perfectworld…157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height: 60px; width: 60px; padding: 0; border: 1px solid transparent; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } .share-footer .TI { background-position: 0 20%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .TW { background-position: 0 60%; } .share-footer .FO { background-position: 0 80%; } .FB:hover { background-position: 100% 0%; } .TI:hover { background-position: 100% 20%; } .YT:hover { background-position: 100% 40%; } .TW:hover { background-position: 100% 60%; } .FO:hover { background-position: 100% 80%; } .share-footer a:hover { opacity: 1; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } $(document).ready( function() { $('.show-lightbox').click(function() { var $el = $(this); var link = $el.data().lightbox; $.colorbox({href: link, maxWidth: '90%', maxHeight: '90%', scalePhotos: true}); }); }); .headerimage { border: 2px inset rgba(255, 255, 255, .05); border-radius: 2em; box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); -webkit-transition: all 500ms ease; -moz-transition: all 500ms ease; -ms-transition: all 500ms ease; -o-transition: all 500ms ease; transition: all 500ms ease; } [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10878854-xp-boost-revamp%21'] As part of the lead up to the launch of Victory is Life, we’re making some changes to how XP Boosts throughout our game work for your characters. The good news – we’re making it so that you get more XP for your purchase, up to 50% from the previous 20%! Take a look at how these changes break down: Previous Pool New Pool 1,000 25,000 3,000 50,000 6,000 100,000 10,000 150,000 In addition, the XP Boost Increase [Large] is getting a price drop in the C-store, going from 975 Zen to 600 Zen! These changes are live right now. Enjoy these new boosts, Captains! .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(http://images-cdn.perfectworld…157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height: 60px; width: 60px; padding: 0; border: 1px solid transparent; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } .share-footer .TI { background-position: 0 20%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .TW { background-position: 0 60%; } .share-footer .FO { background-position: 0 80%; } .FB:hover { background-position: 100% 0%; } .TI:hover { background-position: 100% 20%; } .YT:hover { background-position: 100% 40%; } .TW:hover { background-position: 100% 60%; } .FO:hover { background-position: 100% 80%; } .share-footer a:hover { opacity: 1; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } $(document).ready( function() { $('.show-lightbox').click(function() { var $el = $(this); var link = $el.data().lightbox; $.colorbox({href: link, maxWidth: '90%', maxHeight: '90%', scalePhotos: true}); }); }); .headerimage { border: 2px inset rgba(255, 255, 255, .05); border-radius: 2em; box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); -webkit-transition: all 500ms ease; -moz-transition: all 500ms ease; -ms-transition: all 500ms ease; -o-transition: all 500ms ease; transition: all 500ms ease; } [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Wing Commander News','https://www.wcnews.com/index.shtml#14193']

3dokid

has put together a neat comparison that shows both the Playstation and 3DO versions of Wing Commander 3 playing side-by-side. PC players who might not be as familiar with the console variants might be surprised at the differences. The PSX game was a relatively faithful recreation of the DOS version. Ground missions were cut, but the larger discs allowed the inclusion of some awesome cutscenes that didn't make it in the computer release. On the 3DO, the engine was redone so it might not look quite as flashy as the original, but all of the missions were updated for a newer action-oriented experience. The weapons were tweaked with the Vampire missile replacing the Leech, and new

UI/story

elements were also added.

As a bonus, they also put together a "Top Five 3DO Games" feature a while back and Wing Commander 3 made the cut! There's additional footage of the game being placed with the full cockpit in place, which is still gorgeous. Jump to the 3:50 mark if it doesn't autoplay at the WC3 sequence.

[/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10882354-pc-patch-notes-for-4%2F19%2F18'] Updates and Events: XP Boosts have been updated to provide a more improved boost to gaining extra XP! All XP Bonus Pools will now grant a 50% boost to the bonus XP earned, from the previous 20% bonus. Bonus Pool size has also increased: Small XP boosts have gone from 1,000 to 25,000 The price for these in the C-Store has not changed. Grande XP boosts have gone from 3,000 to 50,000 Venti XP boosts have gone from 6,000 to 100,000 Large XP boosts have gone from 10,000 to 150,000 The price for these in the C-Store has gone from 975 ZEN to 600 ZEN. These changes will affect all currently owned and unused XP Bonus Pool items. These changes will not affect active XP Bonus Pools. The Delta Recruit event has returned! From April 19 to May 17, each new captain a player creates will be a Delta Recruit. This excludes captains where the player chooses to skip the tutorial. Newly created Captains from the 23rd Century cannot be Delta Recruits. A Delta Recruit will advance through all the same missions for their faction as the standard officers have access to except they will have additional tasks involving the coming Iconian war. Completing these tasks will give special rewards to the Delta Recruit as well as rewards for all characters on an account. The weekly shard event that originally ran with this event will not be running. General: Resolved an issue that could prevent the passive bonuses from the Intelligence and Temporal Operative specializations from applying in some cases. Resolved an issue that prevented players who had unlocked the Paradox Corrector or Temporal Negotiator from reclaiming one. Everything Old is New: Resolved an issue that could cause the mission to break when interacting with McCoy. Starbase 24: All players should have their effective level averaged for this map. This will allow low-level players to contribute in groups with higher-level players. The bartender on Drazona has recovered the long lost recipe for the Nerve Tonic. Resolved an issue where the Crossfield was not displaying the Registry and Ship names. Resolved some minor animation issues with stances, idle animations, and sprinting. [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10881114-announcing-two-new-discount-packs-for-victory-is-life%21'] Every day, we get closer to the summer launch of the newest expansion to Star Trek Online, Victory is Life. But when the expansion comes, will you be ready? If you want a head start on everything the brand new Jem’Hadar faction has to offer, we’ve got some offers, available right now, to help you out. They’re called the Gamma Vanguard Starter Pack, and the Gamma Vanguard Pack, and here’s the breakdown of what they offer. You can pre-order both of these packs right now, and have your items drop as soon as Victory is Life goes live. We can’t wait for you to experience all of these new items, Captains. Gamma Vanguard Starter Pack (Click here to preorder the pack) The Gamma Vanguard Starter Pack contains several helpful items to start your adventure fighting the Hur’q within the Dominion. This Pack contains the following items: T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Dreadnought Cruiser Playable Jem’Hadar Vanguard Species Costume: Jem’Hadar Tactical Uniform Title: Victory is Life Title: Plain and Simple Here’s a detailed breakdown on the rewards: T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Dreadnought Cruiser Frequently acting as the flagship for Dominion fleets, this commanding starship is just as suited to frontline assaults as it is to leading its fellow starships in strategic strikes from a position of authority. This ship is for Dominion Captains only initially. It will be outfitted with a Tier 6 Starship Mastery Unlock which enables its use on all other characters on your Account once attained. Playable Jem’Hadar Vanguard Species With the launch of Victory is Life, players will be able to freely choose to create a standard Jem’Hadar Warrior but also available are the Jem’Hadar Vanguard. Jem'Hadar Vanguard are designed for the most intense combat encounters and feature enhanced space combat techniques. Their enhanced combat training has made them incredibly effective at defeating their opponents through superior offensive capabilities on both ground and in space. This is only available when choosing to create a Dominion Captain. Costume: Jem’Hadar Tactical Uniform In preparation for the new battles ahead, a new Tactical Uniform has been made for the Jem’Hadar. This is available for all factions. Title: Victory is Life This title is exclusive to purchasers of the Gamma Vanguard Pack and Gamma Vanguard Starter Pack. It unlocks for all Captains on the account. Title: Plain and Simple This title is exclusive to purchasers of the Gamma Vanguard Pack and Gamma Vanguard Starter Pack. It unlocks for all Captains on the account. Gamma Vanguard Pack (Click here to preorder the pack) Pack Details The Gamma Quadrant is under attack and the threat of the Hur’q has spilled into the Alpha Quadrant. With the items found in the Gamma Vanguard Pack, you’ll be well-prepared to tackle these threats -fighting the Hur’q alongside the forces of the Dominion – or as a part of it! Remember…VICTORY IS LIFE! This Pack contains the following items: T5 Jem’Hadar Dreadnought Carrier T5 Jem’Hadar Heavy Escort Carrier T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Raider T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Dreadnought Cruiser T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Warship T6 Cardassian Intel Science Dreadnought – Damar-class T6 Cardassian Intel Flight-Deck Cruiser – Ghemor-class T6 Cardassian Intel Escort – Detapa-class Playable Cardassian Species Playable Jem’Hadar Vanguard Species Costume: Jem’Hadar Tactical Uniform Three High-End Upgrade Kits 2 Large XP Boosts Title: Gamma Vanguard Title: Victory is Life Title: Engineered for Victory Title: Citizen of Terok Nor Title: Family is All Title: Plain and Simple Jem’Hadar Starships T5 Jem’Hadar Dreadnought Carrier Introduced during The Dominion War, this ship is twice the mass of a Federation Galaxy Class starship and was used to take out outposts and provide heavy support for the Dominion fleet. This ship was once only available in the Lobi store but is now included in this pack for every character on an account. This ship comes with a free upgrade to T5-U when owned by a Level 50+ character. T5 Jem’Hadar Heavy Escort Carrier This Jem’Hadar warship was designed after the Dominion War to complement the tactics of the Jem’Hadar warriors. Often, just the appearance of this ship flanked with its Jem’Hadar fighters could turn the tide of a battle. This ship was once only available in the Dominion Lockbox but is now included in this pack for every character on an account. This ship comes with a free upgrade to T5-U when owned by a Level 50+ character. T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Raider These nimble light craft are even more maneuverable and evasive than the older Attack Ships seen in action during the Dominion War. Their frequent use in subtle operations that sometimes take them away from the safety of the fleet means they are outfitted to be versatile and capable of performing well in a wide variety of situations. This ship is for Dominion Captains only initially. It will be outfitted with a Tier 6 Starship Mastery Unlock which enables its use on all other characters on your Account once attained. T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Dreadnought Cruiser Frequently acting as the flagship for Dominion fleets, this commanding starship is just as suited to frontline assaults as it is to leading its fellow starships in strategic strikes from a position of authority. This ship is for Dominion Captains only initially. It will be outfitted with a Tier 6 Starship Mastery Unlock which enables its use on all other characters on your Account once attained. T6 Jem’Hadar Vanguard Warship When the Dominion needs a heavy offensive powerhouse, this is the new starship of choice to send into the thick of it all. More sturdy and robust than the older Escorts, without sacrificing much in the way of firepower. This ship is for Dominion Captains only initially. It will be outfitted with a Tier 6 Starship Mastery Unlock which enables its use on all other characters on your Account once attained. Cardassian Star Ships T6 Cardassian Intel Science Dreadnought – Damar-class This soaring juggernaut leads the line of new Cloak-enabled Intelligence-focused starships, focusing on misdirection and undermining enemy effectiveness. The Damar-class bears the honor of being named for the martyred military leader that helped free Cardassia from Dominion oppression during the Dominion War, which paved the way for further social reforms and prosperity for the people of Cardassia. This ship is available for all factions. T6 Cardassian Intel Flight-Deck Cruiser – Ghemor-class This sturdy vessel supports a wing of strike fighters while also supplying a frontline defensive stronghold for both support and sustained offense. It is well-rounded and capable of responding to a wide variety of tactical scenarios, and can utilize its Cardassian Cloaking Device to deploy forces behind enemy lines, or escape if the tide of battle turns against it. This ship is available for all factions. T6 Cardassian Intel Escort – Detapa-class Part reconnaissance vessel and part strike ship, the Detapa-class is designed for decisive offensive actions and can rely on its Intelligence abilities to evade enemy defenses, or undermine their effectiveness. Few see it coming, and even fewer are able to react before it’s too late. This ship is available for all factions. Playable Cardassian Species Cardassians have decided to help the alliance by joining the ranks of Starfleet and the Klingon Defense Force. Players will gain access to create a Cardassian Captain in either major faction with this new addition to the list of species available. Playable Jem’Hadar Vanguard Species With the launch of Victory is Life, players will be able to freely choose to create a standard Jem’Hadar Warrior but also available are the Jem’Hadar Vanguard. Jem'Hadar Vanguard are designed for the most intense combat encounters and feature enhanced space combat techniques. Their enhanced combat training has made them incredibly effective at defeating their opponents through superior offensive capabilities on both ground and in space. This is only available when choosing to create a Dominion Captain. Uniforms: Costume: Jem’Hadar Tactical Uniform In preparation for the new battles ahead, a new Tactical Uniform has been made for the Jem’Hadar. This is available for all factions. Vanguard Extras 2 Large XP Boosts *This option un-locks once per account on a character of your choice. Three High-End Upgrade Kits Improve your gear! Turn a Mk XII to a Mk XIII with this High-End Upgrade Kit. *This option un-locks once per account on a character of your choice. Title: Gamma Vanguard This title is exclusive to purchasers of the Gamma Vanguard Pack. It unlocks for all Captains on the account. Title: Victory is Life This title is exclusive to purchasers of the Gamma Vanguard Pack and Gamma Vanguard Starter Pack. It unlocks for all Captains on the account. Title: Engineered for Victory This title is exclusive to purchasers of the Gamma Vanguard Pack. It unlocks for all Captains on the account. Title: Citizen of Terok Nor This title is exclusive to purchasers of the Gamma Vanguard Pack. It unlocks for all Captains on the account. Title: Family is All This title is exclusive to purchasers of the Gamma Vanguard Pack. It unlocks for all Captains on the account. Title: Plain and Simple This title is exclusive to purchasers of the Gamma Vanguard Pack and Gamma Vanguard Starter Pack. It unlocks for all Captains on the account. Victory is Life. .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(http://images-cdn.perfectworld…157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height: 60px; width: 60px; padding: 0; border: 1px solid transparent; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } .share-footer .TI { background-position: 0 20%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .TW { background-position: 0 60%; } .share-footer .FO { background-position: 0 80%; } .FB:hover { background-position: 100% 0%; } .TI:hover { background-position: 100% 20%; } .YT:hover { background-position: 100% 40%; } .TW:hover { background-position: 100% 60%; } .FO:hover { background-position: 100% 80%; } .share-footer a:hover { opacity: 1; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } $(document).ready( function() { $('.show-lightbox').click(function() { var $el = $(this); var link = $el.data().lightbox; $.colorbox({href: link, maxWidth: '90%', maxHeight: '90%', scalePhotos: true}); }); }); .headerimage { border: 2px inset rgba(255, 255, 255, .05); border-radius: 2em; box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); -webkit-transition: all 500ms ease; -moz-transition: all 500ms ease; -ms-transition: all 500ms ease; -o-transition: all 500ms ease; transition: all 500ms ease; } [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Freelancer Moddb','http://www.moddb.com/mods/discovery-freelancer/news/discovery-freelancer-490-changes-to-armor-upgrades-and-battlecruisers']

Discovery Freelancer 4.90: Changes to Armor Upgrades and Battlecruisers

The latest update to the Discovery Freelancer mod brings a sizable change to one of the longest standing mechanics in the game - the Armor Upgrade. The update also brings changes to the Battlecruiser class, a shift of focus from being an anti-battleship vessels into a anti-cruiser one.[/feedquote]

[feedquote='Wing Commander News','https://www.wcnews.com/index.shtml#14200']

endrunt.jpg

As promised earlier in the month, the first half of Wing Commander End Run is now available for owners of the July 2018 Monthly Baen Bundle! This first release includes the entirety of the novella Milk Run by Christopher Stasheff and the first three chapters of End Run by William Forstchen. You can start reading here. The full eBook is also now available for pre-order via Amazon, Apple and Barnes & Nobles' respective eBook stores; we'll update once it's added to Kobo. The full novel releases July 3, 2018.

[/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Citizen','https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/serialized-fiction/16524-One-Good-Deed-Part-Two']

OneGoodDeed.jpg

Be sure to read part one of the story here .

Umar was quickly realizing just how difficult it was to focus on doing repairs when you have a gun aimed at your head. Of course, it should have been obvious from the start that being held hostage would be stressful, but it was one of those truths that doesn’t completely sink in until you experience it first hand. Sort of like how those ‘Slippery When Wet’ caution signs seemed redundant until you were skidding around in a rainstorm.

“Easy on the comms,” instructed Umar’s captor in a steady, even clip. “This is just a normal emergency repair, right?” The man might as well have been casually asking Umar to pass nuoc cham, for all the current situation seemed to be stressing him.

“Right.” Just your normal, everyday emergency repair where someone has hijacked your ship and is looming right behind your terminal in case they need to put a plasma bolt through your brain. Totally normal.

Umar took a deep breath and pushed all that aside. He needed to focus. His life wasn’t the only one hanging in the balance. With a practiced few presses on the console, Umar launched the repair drone Shake towards the source of the emergency beacon — a Terrapin, adrift and giving off a worryingly high IR signature.

With the drone en route, Umar hailed the Terrapin with his most professional, calming voice. “Dr. Hostan? This is Umar from In-A-Fix.”

The response came immediately. “Power plant’s experiencing a critical cascade and my coolers are about to give,” reported Dr. Hostan, breathing heavily. The temperature must have been unbearable inside the craft. Even wearing a protective suit and helmet, her hair was plastered with sweat to her head. “Geiger’s ticking fast and loud. I don’t think there’s much time.”

Umar appreciated the doc’s information efficiency. He didn’t blame people when they panicked in an emergency, but it sure did help when they kept their heads. It gave him an extra tool to work with rather than an extra problem to solve.

Drone’s almost there. As soon as the full diagnostic scan is done, we’ll know what’s causing the cascade. In the meanwhile, I’m gonna have you do a full flush on your coolers. It won’t do much, but it’ll buy us some time.”

“Just tell me what to do.”

Umar began walking her through the process to circumvent the coolers’ safety protocols. The doc was an apt pupil and it wasn’t long before she had managed the tricky manual override. The maneuver was one that his boss, Jess, had taught him when he was first starting out. A fine example of the philosophy, “sometimes you got to break a ship even more if you want to fix it.” If they got the Terrapin up and running again, the coolers would have severely limited functionality compared to their normal operating parameters. But that was a problem for later. The first priority was not exploding.

“The temp’s dropping a bit,” said Dr. Hostan, clearly relieved. “You’re a miracle worker.”

“Naw, Doc. You did all the heavy lifting,” replied Umar. A pop-up on the terminal indicated a new data-packet had arrived. “Looks like the diag scan just came in, so I’m gonna have you drink a hydro-gel real quick while I go over the data. Don’t want you passing out on me.”

As Dr. Hostan turned to find a gel pack to feed into her suit, Umar silenced his audio and video while still listening in on the channel.

“That was a neat little trick,” said the shipjacker once the comm had been muted.

“Yeah,” said Umar, distracted as he pored over the report that Shake’s scanners had sent back.

“I mean you probably just saved her life and what? You’re getting your standard repair rate for this?”

“You mind not talking? I’m trying to figure out how —” Umar let the sentence hang there as he frantically cross-checked the numbers he had gotten from Shake.

“What is it?” Asked the shipjacker, leaning over the terminal to look.

“Grab that datapad,” said Umar, gesturing to where a clunky three-gen-old model was strapped to the wall. “Open up the DayBreak power plant manual. Should be right there in the folder.”

If Umar had been watching instead of directing Shake to do a deeper scan on the Terrapin’s axial power conduit, he would have seen the jacker hesitate. Using the datapad would mean having to holster his weapon. Keeping a wary eye on Umar to make sure this wasn’t a ploy, the man stowed his pistol and pulled the datapad free. After it booted, he found and opened the manual. “Okay, now what?”

“Here,” said Umar as he grabbed the pad. Scrolling, he found the section he was looking for and quickly read it. Then, cursing under his breath, he read it again.

“Enough,” said the jacker. “Tell me what’s going on.”

Umar tossed the datapad down onto the console. “You know anything about reactors?”

“Just enough not to touch one.”

“Then the short version is, thanks to the geniuses at Sakura Sun, the good doctor is pretty well and properly screwed. See …,” said Umar as he rotated the scans of the Terrapin displayed on the terminal. “The DayBreak was designed with these so-called performance improvements that will most likely make the power plant overload faster if I try to fix the problem. And not doing anything isn’t an option since the whole thing’s gonna blow in a few minutes anyway. So, yeah. Screwed.”

“Damn,” replied the jacker, leaning in to look closer. He pointed to the axial conduit. “And if you try to bypass it, these backups will just kick in.”

Umar raised an eyebrow, a bit surprised at his captor’s quick grasp of the issue. “Yeah, that’s right. Ninety-nine out of a hundred times the setup would be ideal, but damn if that one exception isn’t a doozy.”

The man straightened to his full height, resting a hand on his hip near the gun. “So, what are you going to do?”

“It’s what you’re gonna do,” said Umar, eyes flicking towards the jacker’s holster. “You’re the one threatening to shoot people.”

The response came with a heavy sigh, “You want to her to EVA over here before you start the repair.”

“It’s too dangerous to do it with her still on the ship, but with her onboard the Vulcan, we can pilot to the edge of the blast radius and still be able to control the drones. Maybe I can repair it in time. Maybe I won’t be fast enough and the thing will blow. But either way, the doc gets to live.”

“Fine. Do it.”

“You serious?” asked Umar, halfway through preparing the mental argument he thought he’d have to make.

“Yeah. Don’t know how much safer she’s going to be with me around, but it’s stupid to let her die now just ’cause I might get her killed later.” And leaving it at that, the jacker went to the pilot’s chair to bring the Vulcan’s hatch around so the doctor would have a straight-shot EVA.

Umar opened the comm. “Doc, you hear me?”

“Yes,” Dr. Hostan replied. “What did the scans say?”

“I’m gonna need you to EVA over to the Vulcan.”

“Am I losing the ship?”

“Can’t say for sure at this point, but I don’t want to take any chances.”

“Do I at least have enough time to pull my research drives?” asked the doctor. It was the most concerned Umar had seen her so far.

“Yeah, but fast, doc,” said Umar against his better judgement. “Take a minute to grab what you can, but you got to leave after that.”

Not even bothering to reply, the doctor rushed to grab the data she had gathered with the Terrapin’s sensors.

“Tell her to forget it,” said the jacker as he swung the Vulcan wildly away from the Terrapin.

Before Umar could ask what the hell was going on, the entire ship shook and the shields flared from a direct laser hit.

Umar frantically paged the doctor, “Plans changed, doc. Need you to stay put. We’ve got company.”

“How’d these bastards find me?” said the jacker as he evaded the next volley.

Umar checked the radar and saw there were two ships rapidly approaching their position. “Who are they?”

“A couple low-rent hitters.”

“And you thought you could lose them in my ship?”

“That was the plan.”

“Would have worked a lot better if you hadn’t left my drone behind.”

“You’re kidding me. The damn thing was tagged?”

“Six ways to Sunday … wait, where are you going?” demanded Umar when an out-of-range warning popped up for Shake.

“I’m getting us the hell out of here.” Another laser barrage just barely missed the prow of the Vulcan.

“No. We’re staying and fixing that ship.”

“I’m not dying for her.”

“Neither am I, so be sure to keep the ships off her and away from us.”

After a letting fly a string of curses, the jacker pulled the stick back and steered once again towards the Terrapin. “You’re damn lucky I’m a fantastic pilot.”

Umar keyed the comms. “Doc, since EVAing isn’t really an option any more, I’m starting the emergency repairs.”

The doctor took the news in stride. “Good luck.”

“Same to you, doc. If you got any messages to pass along, feel free to send them over.”

“I’ll do that. Thank you.” And with that, Dr. Hostan ended the comm.

Quickly, he opened the bay so that he could launch his last drone, Spear. It wasn’t really set up for this kind of delicate work, but Umar could use all the extra hands he could get. “Drone’s heading out. Can you give it cover?”

“On it,” replied the jacker, rolling the ship hard to one side. He positioned the Vulcan between the two attackers and the doctor. Switching his controls over, the jacker used the remote turrets to lay down a wide field of suppressive fire, forcing the ships to alter course. One of the would-be assassins saw this as an opportunity and attempted to sweep up on the underside, but the jacker was ready for them and let loose with the main guns, clipping the attacker’s port wing. The damage wasn’t enough to take them out of the fight, but it’d give the pilot something to think about.

Meanwhile, Umar had managed to cut open the access panel in the Terrapin’s thick armor and reach the inner workings. Controlling both drones in conjunction, he began the tricky process of halting the cascade and siphoning off the excess energy. Right on cue, the axial conduit kicked in, and as predicted, the power plant responded by increasing its load production. Now it was his turn to cuss up a storm.

Focusing his energy on the injured ship, the jacker switched to the offensive. This would have worked well if the two pilots had been a team, since harassing one would hopefully cause the other to react, but no such luck. The more distant attacker completely ignored the plight of the other and took advantage of the Vulcan’s push, scoring a direct hit. Smoke began to fill the ship’s main chamber. Fantastic pilot or not, the numbers were against them. “How’s it looking back there?”

“Almost done, one way or another.” Umar had about half as much time as he needed before the whole thing was going to blow, taking the Terrapin and the doc with it. What he needed was a way to quickly disrupt the power output all together, without triggering the explosion itself. He ran through the few options he had remaining, dismissing them as fast as he thought of them. Maybe if he had a full complement of drones he could have done something, but with Liam back with the jacker’s Reliant and his own stubbornness to blame for holding off on replacing Wil after the accident — his mind suddenly flashed on something. Wil.

A few years back, the drone had been lost along with a crew of four when what should have been a simple repair had gone catastrophically wrong. While patching the piping to one of the maneuvering thrusters, an unexpected static discharge had caused a feedback surge along the plasma conduits. In that case the surge had been deadly, but with the doc’s power plant already suffering a critical failure, there was a small chance that if he could trigger it and use one of his drones to act as an auxiliary breaker, he could interrupt the cascade before it went critical. Well, Spear, let’s see just how lucky you are.

The jacker had just launched the last of the Vulcan’s chaff, narrowly diverting a missile that detonated nearby. An inadvertent grin spread across his face. After the life he had led, it was a little hard to believe there was a good chance he was going to die doing something this stupidly heroic. Suddenly, there was a second explosion nearby. Something had blown on the hull of the Terrapin. He squinted his eyes in preparation for the blinding light that would follow the whole ship going boom, but nothing else happened.

“It worked! I can’t believe it worked!” Umar had lost his drone, but had saved the ship.

“Not to cut your celebration short, but I really could use a hand right about now.”

Umar’s attention was drawn back to the ongoing dogfight. When did the ship fill with so much smoke? “Pass the turrets to me.”

“You any good?” asked the jacker.

“Line me up a shot and find out.”

With a dedicated gun operator, the true combat capabilities of the Vulcan emerged. The jacker would chase a ship with the main guns getting them into position for Umar to let loose with cannons mounted on the remote turret. Working together, they manage to remove the wing on the ship that had been crippled earlier. Down a weapon, and barely able to maneuver, the ship fled. The remaining assassin, its advantage lost, made the sensible choice and followed.

Umar placed two cans of flavored sparkling water on the table. It had taken about an hour more of work before the doctor’s ship was ready to fly again and the effort had left him parched.

The jacker, sitting on the far side, cracked his open and drank deeply. When he finally came up for air, he smiled. “Guess I do like etrog flavor.”

“All right, spill it. Why do you got a price on your head?”

The smile left the jacker’s face. “Might be better if you don’t know.”

“Yeah, well, it seems a little late for that.”

The two sat in silence for a bit as Umar patiently drank his water.

Toying with the tab on the can, the jacker finally began, “I was working for the Dranton Family, smuggling off of Carteyna, when I got tagged by the Cano authorities. Wasn’t going to get out clean, so I dumped the cargo and ran. Turned out there was enough evidence in there to get most of the Drantons locked up for good. Guess that didn’t sit well because Luke Dranton put the hit out on me himself. Spent almost every last credit to his name making sure I get dead. That was about a month ago, been running ever since.”

“So, we should be expecting more company?”

“Greedy bastards will probably keep the news to themselves till they can come after us again, but yeah, they’ll be back.”

“Right.” Umar tilted back and finished the last of his drink. “We better get going then.”

“Thanks. If you drop me off at Pox, I can make my way from there.”

“I was actually thinking we could make a stop first. See, I came across a recent wreck a little bit before I grabbed you. Told Jess about it, but since In-A-Fix runs salvage there’s a good chance no one knows it’s there except me and her. We get there in time, should be able to make it so the registry shows you sadly passed away in a tragic accident.”

“Seriously? You’d do that for me?”

Umar shrugged, “What can I say, I like fixing stuff.”

THE END.

[/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10878744-star-trek-online%27s-level-cap-increases-to-65'] Upon the release of our next expansion, Victory is Life, all characters will find themselves capable of earning levels beyond the current cap of 60. Starting immediately, any and all Experience earned will start players on the path toward the new maximum level cap of 65. It has been almost four years since the last time we raised the Level Cap in Star Trek Online, which coincided with our second expansion, Delta Rising, in October of 2014. Since then, the game has expanded and grown by leaps and bounds, adding hundreds of hours of gameplay and a huge number of new story-driven missions, queues, battlezones, starships, costumes, and much, much more. The game is continuing to grow, continuing to expand, and continuing the story of the franchise that we all know and love. And this time, that is what the Level Cap Increase is primarily meant to reflect. New Experiences In addition to raising your level, Victory is Life will also raise the cap on Item Marks! Players will now be able to progress their equipment to Mk XV (15) by using Upgrade Tech, and investing in them via the Item Upgrade System. The Technology Points requirements increase at a linear rate beyond 14, and any points already present on an existing item will not be lost and can immediately be utilized to facilitate that item’s progression to 15. Equipment of Mk XV will require at least Level 60 to be worn. Players already at the current level cap may begin enhancing their gear immediately when the expansion goes live. Old Experiences Savvy players may have already noticed that the Experience required to progress from 59 to 60 is currently far less than the Experience required to earn each Specialization Point once you have reached 60. This may cause concerns about how each level will scale past 60… Fear not! We’ve got you covered! While the requirements for each level past 60 are greater than those below, the difference is far smaller than the existing Specialization Point requirements, as shown here: Lvl Experience Required Per Level Cumulative Experience Required 55 12500 75000 56 12500 87500 57 12500 100000 58 12500 112500 59 12500 125000 60 12500 137500 61 17500 155000 62 17500 172500 63 17500 190000 64 17500 207500 65 17500 225000 Spec 159100 296600 As you can see, the amount of Experience required per Specialization Point is actually remaining exactly the same, despite us having given you five more levels to attain! Any existing Specialization XP you have earned above level 60 – progression you currently have earned toward a Specialization Point – will be stored when Victory is Life is launched, and returned to you in-full when you reach the new level cap. This will appear as an empty Experience bar, but this is only temporary. That progression will be refunded to you immediately upon hitting 65, allowing you to pick up right where you left off toward earning your next Specialization point. Time to Progress Progression through the existing levels in Star Trek Online is primarily accomplished by completing story missions, as laid out in your Captain’s Journal. It has become an expectation of our progression that completing one of these story missions will generally reward you with at least half of a level (generally more), making them almost always the most efficient means of earning Experience and leveling up. We don’t intend to upset this expectation with Victory is Life. Each of the new Story Missions being released with this Expansion will grant all Captains more than half a level each (and even more if you’re using an XP Bonus Pool!), meaning that you will be well on your way to the new cap without needing to invest much outside of the central plot as it unfurls before you in the Gamma Quadrant. Rewards Each level past 60 will grant additional rewards to each Captain that achieves them, as seen in the following chart: Lvl Reward Description 61 Tier 5 Ship Token and Tier 5 Ship Upgrade Token Claim a free Tier 5 Starship from any Starship Acquisition vendor, then apply a token to upgrade it to Tier 5-U (T5U ships have additional passive traits, and hull capacity scaling, past level 50) 62 Specialization Qualification Manual Used to add a Specialization of your choice to one Bridge Officer. Choose one from the following: Intel, Command, Pilot, TempOp, Miracle Worker 63 NEW! Captain Ability Each Profession (Eng, Sci, Tac) will gain access to Rank I of an all-new Ability for use during Space Combat! * More details coming soon! 64 Elite Gamma Quadrant Duty Officers Multiple high-quality Duty Officers, direct from the Gamma Quadrant. Fill your roster with members of the alien species seen on-screen in episodes of ST:DS9. 65 Epic Admiralty Ship: C.U.V. Tain The ship of Elim Garak himself can be called to aid you on Admiralty Assignments. Let's just say you'll have earned a favor or two by the time you've reached this level. In addition to the above rewards, earning each level beyond 60 will also grant one Captain Specialization Point. What’s Missing? In light of all the things that a level cap increase can be to an online game, we feel it’s important to list out a few things that will not be included with Victory is Life, so that proper expectations can be set. No New Ranks Captains (or Admirals, or Generals, etc.) have progressed quite far in their careers already. We didn’t feel as though an increase of five levels was sufficient to warrant the inclusion of any further Ranks to signify this career improvement. No New Ship Tier This has been a common question asked in our communities ever since the Level Cap Increase was first announced. As of now, we have no intention of extending the ship ranks available in Star Trek Online beyond the current Tier 6 offerings. Additional ships will always be a fact of life as this game continues growing and expanding, but we’re not currently planning any upward expansion in this regard. No Price Tag! As with all Content that has been released for Star Trek Online, there will be no purchase necessary to advance beyond level 60. In fact, all of the story missions contained within the Victory is Life expansion will be free to all players! (Those looking to enhance their gameplay through the purchase of additional ships, costumes, and more should stay tuned for other upcoming announcements!) The More Things Change… Levels themselves are only a part of the picture in Star Trek Online, with other important aspects of your character’s overall progress represented by systems like Specializations, Reputations, Item Upgrades, Starship Mastery, and more. As these have continued to grow over the past several years, levels themselves have come to mean less and less. This Level Cap increase is not an attempt to change that perception, or to upset expectations as to what a level means in this game. Instead, we’re hoping to use this as an opportunity to show other potential players, as well as Star Trek fans everywhere, that this game – this rich, robust, story-driven experience – is still growing, still changing, still expanding, and still waiting for them to enjoy. Jeremy “BorticusCryptic” Randall Lead Systems Designer Star Trek Online .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(http://images-cdn.perfectworld…157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height: 60px; width: 60px; padding: 0; border: 1px solid transparent; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } .share-footer .TI { background-position: 0 20%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .TW { background-position: 0 60%; } .share-footer .FO { background-position: 0 80%; } .FB:hover { background-position: 100% 0%; } .TI:hover { background-position: 100% 20%; } .YT:hover { background-position: 100% 40%; } .TW:hover { background-position: 100% 60%; } .FO:hover { background-position: 100% 80%; } .share-footer a:hover { opacity: 1; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } $(document).ready( function() { $('.show-lightbox').click(function() { var $el = $(this); var link = $el.data().lightbox; $.colorbox({href: link, maxWidth: '90%', maxHeight: '90%', scalePhotos: true}); }); }); .headerimage { border: 2px inset rgba(255, 255, 255, .05); border-radius: 2em; box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); -webkit-transition: all 500ms ease; -moz-transition: all 500ms ease; -ms-transition: all 500ms ease; -o-transition: all 500ms ease; transition: all 500ms ease; } [/feedquote]

[feedquote='Star Trek Online','/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10878824-play-as-a-cardassian%21'] With the coming of Victory is Life, and its connections to Deep Space Nine, it made sense to bring about one of the longest requested features in Star Trek Online: we’re adding Cardassians as a playable species for both Starfleet and Klingon Factions. Cardassians have a unique species trait and a unique optional trait – check below for some details on what this new race will bring to the table. DISCLAIMER: All information in this blog post is subject to change. Once a dominant force in the Alpha Quadrant, the Cardassian Union fought on the losing side of the Dominion War. The impact of that conflict is felt to this day on Cardassia Prime, left in a devastated state during the war’s final days. Despite many hardships, the proud, ruthless and cunning people of Cardassia have forged their way into the 25th century with a grim determination. After the Dominion war, Cardassia’s military is a shadow of its former self, reduced to a defensive, peacekeeping force. With the re-emergence of the Dominion and the threat of the True Way terrorist group, many Cardassians feel that more has to be done to protect their home. A number of them have pledged their support to the Klingon Empire or the Federation as a result. After a heavy vetting process, these proud citizens of Cardassia are accepted into the ranks of the KDF and Starfleet. Trait Information Inherent Species Space Trait: Recalled Tactics Cardassians are well known for their photographic memory and mental strength, which is utilized during combat to recall the extensive combat training instruction. For every 5 seconds you are in combat, you will gain one stack of Recalled Tactics, which will increase your Damage, Accuracy, and Defense for a short time. Unique Ground Trait: Superior Mental Fortitude Increases your resistance to mind controlling attacks, enhancing innate resistance to the effects of Confuse, Stun and Placate. This also makes you immune to the Vulcan Nerve Pinch! Stay tuned for more information on how to unlock this new playable race, which will be testable on Tribble very soon! Robert “CrypticRidi” Hrouda Systems Design Star Trek Online .share-footer a { margin: 20px 10px 10px 0; background: url(http://images-cdn.perfectworld…157ae31ec5b1466398539.png) no-repeat 0 0; opacity: .5; display: inline-block; height: 60px; width: 60px; padding: 0; border: 1px solid transparent; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } .share-footer .TI { background-position: 0 20%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .YT { background-position: 0 40%; } .share-footer .TW { background-position: 0 60%; } .share-footer .FO { background-position: 0 80%; } .FB:hover { background-position: 100% 0%; } .TI:hover { background-position: 100% 20%; } .YT:hover { background-position: 100% 40%; } .TW:hover { background-position: 100% 60%; } .FO:hover { background-position: 100% 80%; } .share-footer a:hover { opacity: 1; -webkit-transition: opacity .3s; transition: opacity .3s; } $(document).ready( function() { $('.show-lightbox').click(function() { var $el = $(this); var link = $el.data().lightbox; $.colorbox({href: link, maxWidth: '90%', maxHeight: '90%', scalePhotos: true}); }); }); .headerimage { border: 2px inset rgba(255, 255, 255, .05); border-radius: 2em; box-shadow: 5px 5px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); -webkit-transition: all 500ms ease; -moz-transition: all 500ms ease; -ms-transition: all 500ms ease; -o-transition: all 500ms ease; transition: all 500ms ease; } [/feedquote]