Posts by Drakon

Voted simulation - at least under the assumption that Freelancer falls into this category more than the others. I am also fond of Wing Commander games. Anarchy Online and my brief encounter with EVE are probably the only reasons I would consider MMORPGs as a runner-up. Paying monthly installments really irks me though and it sucks knowing that once the servers are down there will no longer be a way to play the game. A '90s game by the name of Battlezone garners my respect for strategy, and Descent II for shooters. The conventional RPG or adventure game tends to be too narrow and restrictive of gameplay for my liking. In fairness though, I may be a bit biased given the fact that I haven't bought a new sci-fi game in several years.

Having grown fond of the old layout, I'd have probably whined if I knew in knew advance this was going to happen. Arriving to this today was quite refreshing though, and I must say this is the best looking forum I have ever visited. ^^

If you don't mind my asking, will it be possible to purchase a ship of the opposing faction or will these be offered at distinct, ASF/CSF owned bases? Also, and I'm not entirely sure why, but I really want to get my hands on that orange HUD setting. ^^

When I enter into an RP situation one-on-one, a personal guideline is generally applied. It is not that different from what was originally proposed here. The practice of having a 20 second RP intro followed by what is essentially continuous PvP until one player gets bored or signs off from the server is unrealistic and, for one who does not like PvP very much, not fun. My personal solution is that if I issue a fine and a pirate kills me, I will try to depart the scene and do something else. On occasions that I refuse to pay a tax and die, or in most other RP situations the same applies. There was a contest of skill and I lost - that's the end of the RP encounter as far as I'm concerned. From there the first opportunity to leave the scene is taken. If this is not possible and I am again killed, F1 is used as a shortcut to someplace else. Things work differently in groups of course, and sometimes I like to go two or three rounds before leaving, but still...

There should not be new rules - the people who play honorably will be recognized by others from their actions (of course, it's all relative - my opportunistic tendencies have come off as dirty and/or cowardly on more than one occasion ^^).

Originally posted by lucy in the sky
    Now for something completely different: Stop complaining about politicians. You got a vote. Use it. Or go into politics and do it better.

That tends to be how I look at it - it's a democracy after all and nobody is standing in the way of any of us getting involved. Most politicians work long hours for much lower pay than their talents would garner in the private sector. They try to bring about changes, but it's much easier said than done. When they succeed, most people don't care. When they fail people gripe about them, use them as scapegoats, and adopt broad stereotypes. Yet that doesn't change anything. The fact is that tens of millions of people loaf around apathetically, form uneducated views, and don't even vote in every election. The only difference is that when a typical citizen neglects their responsibilities there isn't a news crew on site to cover it live, recycle sound-bites for a week, and analysts who bicker over the quality of the person's ideas and character. Other than their money, do such people contribute anything to the process? If one takes a moment to think about it, are there no parallels to be drawn between that dynamic and our own community? :P

Originally posted by I am D
    Drakon, what do you mean about the 2nd Amendment and his position on it? Also what state do you live in?

There are disagreements between what the 2nd Amendment has to say about what the individual's rights are in terms of firearm ownership. I do not believe that regulating or limiting the kinds of weapons that can be privately owned is unconstitutional. To me the phrase "well regulated Militia" refers to what are presently state-level national guard units rather than to private vigilante groups. Congressman Paul is not exactly enthusiastic about gun control legislation. To answer your other question, I live in Montana.

I am actually less concerned about cloaking than most. Especially if there's a fuel source (i.e. a commodity that is "used" to run it), it cannot be used indefinitely by a player. They would have to ration its use and therein lies the strategy involved. If you only have a few minutes of cloak available, and the fuel is somewhat hard or expensive to get, it would be hard to exploit it. As for the water-effect and such, I think it should only be fitting in gas clouds. The NPCs in the storyline had a perfect cloak while in open space, and technology has not regressed since that point in the timeline. Destructible universe features only concern me because oftentimes mods use VHF fighters - the space station gunnery and armor is based on the assumption that enemies will be flying much lighter ships. In my opinion, it should be very difficult for a single fighter to destroy an entire space station. All around though, I agree with Blade's point most of all.