Network card isues

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by pcforce.

• Ok, heres the thing. Im looking at my network connection window, and i see two cards going with one PC turned on and hooked up. One is the NIC card (Reatlek RTL8139/810x Family Fast NIC) which is in use, but i see something else in use at the same time....a 1394 Net Adapter. The 1394 is active, but isnt recieving a signal....which bugs the hell out of me, since that 1394 is showing a speed of 400.0mbps and the NIC, which im using to make this post, shows only 100.0mbps.

I am using a D-Link 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch, but the 1394 Net Adapter shows up even when i bypass it totally. The only other thing the PC is connected to is the Cable modem, which i just disconnected from the PC as well as the router. At this point, the PC was totaly isolated from any internet connection whatsoever, and the icon for the NIC card in the connectins window displayed a small red X showing that the connection had been broken.

However, the 1394 Net Adapter icon showed no red x at all, which i can only conclude to mean that it is indeed inside the PC and is not in use. My main reason for wanting to use the 1394 is possible is speed of course, and that the NIC shows massive packet loss...2,000 packets out of 11,000 were not recieved by the card at all.

The only other thing, is that i do not see any place to plug into the faster card in the back of the PC. There is a phone line hookup, but that cant be it....so what the hell do i do?

Crossfire Characters:
    (IOC){Dark_Angel} and any derivatives thereof.

• I seem to remember having seen a 1394 showing on my network adaptors in the past, thing was at the time i was having major network issues..i.e i couldnt share the network with other pc's or it would share but be inconsistant like kept going off showing limited or no connectivity (on the card that was going to the switch) or i couldnt online on mine...i ended up doing a fresh install of winbloze and the 1394 was gone and all network was working as it should have been, its wierd when i get a windoze problem a new network adapter shows up out of the blue and the network is pretty much none existant, had this a couple of times until i used a different cd to install

A. New Windows XP users might notice a new network device labeled 1394 Connection on their system. This network device is actually your FireWire card. Although most users use FireWire to connect video and storage peripherals, Microsoft chose to list FireWire as a network device, which might confuse some users. Either you can ignore this connection, or you can disable it by right-clicking the connection from within Network Connections (from the Start menu, go to Settings, Network Connections) and selecting Disable.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Ar…rticleID/22718/22718.html

• that article has a comment that says you can setup a network using Firewire, and it will be very fast...is that an internet network connection or simply a network of various devices?

Crossfire Characters:

• ..............is that a yes to internet connection or to a device netowrk? or both?

<---------clueless

Crossfire Characters:

• As far as i know its verry fast (but how much exactly i dont know) internal port just like USB but much faster and i havent seen any device using it. As just a port, 1394 is not a device itself.