Frontier Favorites Tested In WCSO

• DefianceIndustries

continues to stretch the Vision Engine. His latest efforts have resulted in a couple of his fine looking

Border Worlds

ships

being successfully imported. Since his initial project is titled the Secret Ops

model upgrade pack

, DI's not trying to do any kind of elaborate crossover, but it's possible these ships could make it into the simulator for an interesting diversion. Sounds like fun!

wcso_shipupgrade33t.jpgwcso_shipupgrade34t.jpgwcso_shipupgrade35t.jpgwcso_shipupgrade36t.jpgwcso_shipupgrade37t.jpgwcso_shipupgrade38t.jpg

I've been monkeying around with the update patch to see what I can shoehorn into the engine. Based on what I've been told, the below doesn't really stretch the limit but it's a good test. So I used my Banshee as a test subject, since in its original form it would blow up Vision (it has more polys than most of the WCP capships). I converted it to an .IFF directly with no changes and below are the results.

As you can see it's pretty faithful. I'll want to throw it into a sim mission at some point to see how they perform. This is sort of a tangent to the actual progress on the MUP; and it plays well to my magpie-like ability to chase the next shiny thing; but it will be useful to know this info as we go forward. As a fringe benefit, if anyone on the UE staff wants the .IFFs when I'm done and the patch is released to do, say, an update of their own... well... :)

My Durango has been languishing in "Gearbox Patch Hell" for the last several months, I was afraid she was going to go to waste... :) This was my second test of the new patch. Not quite Galactica-scale polys but a respectable 20K faces/ 48K triangles.

wcnews.com/index.shtml#13306