Excalibur Prototype Helps Prove Out Design

• Adm_Maverick

has started to build the first mockup for his precise

Excalibur model

. This is a test fit to prove out the dimensions, and it's already provided some interesting results. When compared to high quality renders, a slight curve exists around the lower nose section that wasn't apparent at first. It's a more difficult thing to portray in a physical model, but that's part of the challenge. Even though these builds are still preliminary, it's exciting for Excalibur fans to see that familiar fuselage start to take shape!

maverick_papercraft14t.jpgmaverick_papercraft15t.jpgsmallwar-confed-4t.jpg

You have to plan your build. You can frequently work around spots you didn't plan properly, but not always. Also the mock isn't so much meant as a means of exact build, but rather a means of low-cost construction that will lead back into additional design work. As I've said I do not have design experience or training. Add to that my rather dubious knowledge of geometry... yeah. Uphill battle with a fairly substantial learning curve involved. But that's also the appeal of the project for me. More then anything else, the mock-allows me to work with the physical design and understand how sections work with each other and see details that may not have been apparent in the line studies.

wcnews.com/index.shtml#13234