The Indy Diaries

• The following are excerpts from The Indy Diaries: Life on The Edge. They
    are a collection of often anonymous accounts of life outside the everyday
    routine of house space, and candidly explores the ships, people, and attitudes
    of those who live on the fringes of civilization.

My Old Barracuda

Say what you want about bounty hunters being crude sons of
    bitches, but damn if the Guild can’t make a ship. Back in my ‘lancing days, I
    spent five years as an associate Bounty Hunter, flying a Barracuda all across
    Liberty. It was essentially my home, you understand. I knew it, my clients knew
    it, and the engineers who designed the thing knew it. Yeah, it’s technically a
    fighter, but you can stand up in it.
    It’s cramped as hell and you can only walk a few steps until you hit your bunk,
    but just the ability to walk around can make a world of difference when
    you’re going to auto-burn a whole day or two to avoid some trade lanes. A
    hunter’s real enemy ain’t the cops or the pirates- cops are easy to avoid, and
    in those days, most of the organized crime was too busy with their turf wars to
    notice little ol’ me. It’s boredom and cabin fever that’ll make you hang up
    your spurs quicker than anything. So yeah, my ‘Cuda came with more cabin space
    than anything else I had found. You had a bunk, a tiny little table, and a
    holo-vision. It’s big brother the Hammerhead even had an honest-to- God chem
    shower, too, if you wanted to spend the credits. I guess the legendary tales of
    bounty hunter hygiene had reached Guild HQ.

It wasn’t just creature comforts with that
    ship. It could take a pounding, give a
    bigger pounding, and was made with parts that any base in Sirius would have in
    plentiful supply. Guild engineering was all business and no frills- their
    R&D department almost didn’t exist then. Of course, it was an old design
    even when I first looked at it- my ‘Cuda was bought used, and I sold it even
    used’r. Now, I had no illusions- I
    didn’t dare fly farther than the Border Worlds in my rig, because even for a
    ship named after a shark, there are far
    scarier fish in the sea than a stock Barracuda. It was just right for my niche
    at the time, though- plinking Rogues and delivering their asses to Sugarland.
    Now, I’ll never exactly love the LPI, but damn if taking their jobs didn’t keep
    me in parts, drinks and dock knockers. If you don’t know what a dock knocker is
    or don’t approve of a man seeing to his needs, maybe you should stick to
    helping old ladies cross the street. You’ll sleep better.

House vs. Indy

For someone who’s never been beyond house space, the
    difference in ship quality can seem mighty counter-intuitive. How could yokels
    on the fringe of civilization consistently turn out ships that are better,
    tougher, and meaner than the fruits of house technology? I’ll fill you in, but
    it ain’t exactly a secret for those with a shred of common sense. Even the most
    died-in-the-wool navy flyboy will privately admit that your typical house ship
    flown by your typical house pilot wouldn’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell in
    a one-on-one dogfight against an Edge-world ‘lancer. In fact, he’d be lucky if
    it were just a ‘lancer- most ‘lancers I know don’t go out of their way to pick fights
    if they ain’t getting paid for it. Other folks, though- that shiny badge don’t
    mean a thing beyond house space. In some systems, it would be a death sentence. You might wonder- houses have the bigger militaries-
    why not just embark on some good ol’ fashioned campaigns to bring the Indies
    and the pirates in line? I’ll tell you why. House leadership might be stupid,
    but they ain’t stupid enough to try a stunt like that. Military adventures beyond house borders have
    a way of going sour- just ask any Brit pilot in Dublin, or
    dust off some history holos about the Rheinlanders’ attempt to “settle” with
    the GMG. House military actually has a terrible record against Indies when
    engaged en mass. Ain’t nothing changed, either.

If it ever came down to a for-real shitfight between a
    Liberty task force trying to “bring freedom” to, say, a Corsair stronghold –
    well, let’s just hope Fleet HR has a “we regret to inform you” form letter, or
    else some poor clerk is going to have a mighty sore writing hand. Hell, the
    only advantages Liberty would have are numbers and prettier pilots. I shouldn’t
    even joke about it, really. You see, an Indy pilot- be them a ‘lancer, a
    pirate, or a smuggler- has a totally different attitude about what it is to
    fly. To navy, your ship is what you joyride in while flying the same route in
    the same place. It’s your job- you clock in, you look forward to it being done.
    That attitude don’t exist in the Indy worlds, because to an Indy, your ship is
    your home. Remember when I was
    talking about my old ‘Cuda? Well, any ship made by an Indy firm is going to
    have a bunk, too. Period. It might be cramped, and you probably can’t stand up
    all the way, but by God, you’ll have a bunk. It’ll also have food storage, a
    water filtration unit, and at least basic facilities. Most of the time, this is
    all packed in a tiny space right behind the pilot’s seat, but I guaran-damn-tee
    it’ll be there. There’s also the fundamental difference in engineering
    values.

You see, unlike a pansy-ass nine-to-five navy toy, an Indy
    ship is designed to run for weeks at a time- while in the ass end of nowhere.
    All the parts- the reactor, the drive, electronics- everything- all have to run
    perfect, every damn time. If
    something breaks, help is likely not available. The solution? Engineer it so that it doesn't break- at least, not without help from belligerents with ships of their own.
    In fact, depending on who you’ve pissed off your last few jobs, chances
    are good that folks at certain ports will answer your hail with a little
    weapons test. Of course, if you’re stupid enough to try to feed from the hand that
    you just bit, I say you’ve got no business being in Indy space to begin with! I
    mentioned that an Indy’s ship is home- and like most homeowners, Indy pilots
    take great pains to keep their property in tip-top shape. Again, it’s a
    difference in attitude- in the fleet or Big Shipping, it’s the hanger tech’s
    problem. For the Indy, maintenance is profoundly personal; whatever they can
    do, they do; whatever they can’t do, they watch over like a damn hawk while the
    technician works. Everything about the ship is a customized extension of the
    pilot’s will (and budget)- the paint, the components, the weapons- even the
    damn cockpit seat is usually aftermarket.

That reminds me: the equipment. That’s another little secret
    that makes house flyboys squirm. See, the truth is pretty bleak- Indy weps kick
    the tar out of house. Indy shields shrug off more damage. The sensors are
    better, the reactors are tricked out, and you can buy black market capacitors
    that make shields regenerate in no time. Some folks, they replace their outer
    hull with armor plating. That’s for the hardcore mercs and ‘lancers- pirates
    don’t usually have it. The added weight means less cargo space, you see. The
    plating itself can range from just another layer of standard ship panels to
    some top-secret material the Order cooked up that takes a lot of pepper to even
    scratch. Some kind of
    diamond-adamantine nanocomposite, I’m told. But you get the idea. Like it or
    not, Navy buys it’s ships and weapons from the lowest bidder. House
    bureaucracies look at budgets first, results second. It ain’t that house
    militaries want inferior equipment-
    it’s just that they can’t and won’t keep up with a murderous arms race that’s
    outside their jurisdiction, and why would they?
    A navy ship patrolling a core trade lane can go years without needing to
    open fire, whereas a ‘lancer flying some cargo from point A to point B in the
    Omicrons assumes that he will.

Of course, a scuffle between two armed groups is more than
    just comparing ships and gear. Hell, it’s even more than weighing combat
    experience; you’ve got to look at the people themselves. Even if all things
    were equal and Indies had to use the exact same equipment as navy, I would still bet my bottom credit on the
    Indies. See, no Indy is going to get drawn into the neat, organized, set-piece battle
    that navy trains for- why would they? Have you seen some of the places Indies hang their hat? Lava storms, dense
    asteroid fields, nebulas where your sensors don’t scan for shit- hardcore
    Indies not only routinely fly but fight
    in these environments as a matter of course- even with Liberty’s huge numbers
    advantage, it wouldn’t be a fair fight. If Liberty was stupid enough to journey to the Omicrons, the Corsairs would have them for dinner- ain't a doubt in my mind.

Is it starting to make sense? If you really want to be a pilot above what you see in house space, you
    move as far away as possible. If you really
    want to turn your rig into a flying dispenser of righteous justice, you get in
    good with Indies. That’s all there is to it. The very best shit is found at the
    most dangerous areas- because of course it is, right? But even getting there
    ain’t enough- you’ve got to be real chummy with the locals too, because the GMG
    or Hessians ain’t just going to sell to any shlub who just wanders by. Hell,
    groups like Corsairs and Outcasts won’t even give you enough time to transmit a
    “howdy”- if they don’t know you, they blast first and ID later. Of course, if
    those guys do let you just mosey up
    and buy their deadliest wares, chances are good that your own moral slate ain’t
    exactly clean- and you’ve probably burned some pretty important bridges getting
    there. So there’s that to think about. Still think it’s worth it?

Editors note: The
    opinions contained in this account are strictly that of the person interviewed,
    and not the publisher's. Manhattan DucuVids maintains the highest confidence that
    the ships, equipment, and personnel of the Liberty government are the best to
    be found within Sirius.

Hanging up the Bounty Hunter’s Hat

At the time, I was
    feeling like a big fish in a small pond. I was taking on Xenos and even the
    occasional Outcast in addition to my usual Rogue popping, and Sugarland paid
    good credits for higher-ranking criminals. Well, long story short, I got a
    little big for my britches and took a job in Rhineland against some Corsairs. I
    agreed to bring in a specific baddy who had a penchant for killing their
    federal police; didn’t even salvage their ships or tractor in the escape pod.
    This guy (I later learned it was a woman) was either a straight-up sociopath,
    or had figured out that having a force of piss-scared cops was good for
    business. The local authorities put a pretty sweet bounty on his (her) head,
    and I happily and stupidly volunteered. I had no idea what I was in for.

Now, in retrospect this is clear as day- but bagging Rogues
    sure as hell wasn't preparation for fighting Corsairs. For starters, Rogues are
    basically petty criminals who got a raw deal- most of them come from poverty and
    did some time in one of the Big Houses. Of course, that shit stays on your
    record, and good luck getting a job fresh out of prison… not that going to
    prison is difficult or uncommon if you’re poor or unconnected. The rural economy all over Liberty is in the shitter, and lots of honest folk turn to crime just to get
    by. A criminal just out of prison only has two real choices- go back to piracy,
    or join up with the Guild and start hunting down your old drinking buddies. Used
    to be you could get a job at one of the factories on Houston even with a record, but nowadays they're
    getting more and more automated. Any leftover human labor is scarce and pays
    next to nothing. You’re either a slave
    for the man, or you’re on the man’s payroll bringing in more meat for the grinder.
    It’s no secret that the LPI regards Liberty's underclass as it’s private labor pool- the
    saying goes that LPI will bust you for jaywalking but hire you for backstabbing.
    So you get the picture- Rogues are typically a mixture of desperation and
    resentment. Most of them don’t have any real flight training, and what assets
    they have are from their more competent benefactors, the Outcasts. Their ships are usually those ramshackle
    “hound” types that are more perilous to fly than to face- but as long as you
    can lash some blasters onto them, they’re dangerous to someone.

Corsairs, on the other hand… Jesus, where do I even start? You
    have to understand that we’re talking about a culture that has walked the
    ragged edge of survival and death for hundreds of years. Every man and woman is
    a Corsair first, and a human being second. Not all Corsairs are pilots, but all
    are warriors in some way or another. There are no freeloaders, no ornamental
    people like you see in London or New York- you either fulfill a useful function
    from the time you can walk, or you’re a waste of scarce resources. Crete ain’t
    Manhattan- crops don’t grow well, only certain parts are habitable, and what
    resources it has are a bitch to extract. Until a few hundred years ago, the
    Corsairs weren’t really a thriving people- until they figured out that rich
    folk with more money than brains would pay through the roof for the one thing
    Crete has in abundance: alien artifacts. Sure, Corsairs didn’t worry anymore
    about where their next meal would come from, but the idea of contact with the
    rest of Sirius only made them more paranoid. You see, Crete had gone from a
    hellhole to a gold mine overnight; gold mines have a way of being seized by
    force. So the Corsairs, who were already used to taking scrap and making a ship
    that could be handed down generations, doubled down on their xenophobic
    philosophy. If anything, their society became even more militantly
    survivalistic- their pilots came to see themselves as not only providers
    through piracy, but warriors as well. So you see, Corsairs started off on a world that tries it’s best to kill them- and
    between the piracy and the artifact trade, most of their neighbors want them
    dead, too. Their ships are excellent
    because they have to be; their pilots are supremely skilled because the
    alternative is death.

Naturally, I felt it was a great idea to take these people
    on.

The operation actually went quite well at first; I bribed a
    wannabe bounty hunter to shadow the Corsair from a Freeport in a pathetic
    little Starflyer while I hung back out of range. He was a young, pimply-faced
    kid who was more eager than thoughtful. The ship wasn’t even his- it was his
    mother’s, and he had borrowed it to do some graduation sightseeing. What he was
    doing at a Freeport was anyone’s guess. Still, a naïve kid in a ship that
    couldn’t harm a fly was the perfect tail to send after a Corsair. Looking back,
    it was the only smart thing I did; a little economy ship with an empty hold
    ain't worth a pirate’s time, and the proximity to the Freeport meant that they
    wouldn’t open fire even if they had a mind to do so. I was unsure about
    tracking the Corsair myself; though I had splurged on a nicer
    sensor array for my ship, I couldn’t know if the Corsairs had one of equal or
    better quality. Plus, following a Corsair in a Bounty Hunter ship ain’t exactly
    discreet.

I had been receiving transmissions on the position of three
    Corsair ships for close to twelve hours before my target’s wingmen finally
    appeared to go their own way. I had to take my tracker’s word, as I had been
    flying blind in a nebula a well out of range; I could receive transmissions,
    but neither my eyes nor my sensors could
    make out more than a few meters in front of my cockpit window.

At the time, I had counted the nebula’s cover as a stroke of
    brilliant luck; I could just follow and wait until my quarry was alone, reel
    him (her) in, and collect my fat reward (minus the chump change I had promised
    my hireling). Now that my target was alone, I throttled up the power and burned
    towards her last reported location.

As my ship burst out of the nebula, I felt a burst of savage
    anticipation as I saw that, as reported, my target was alone. My glee swiftly
    faded as I heard the screams of my young assistant for a brief second as his
    ship was destroyed by precision fire from one of the supposedly departed
    wingman. Rookie mistake- he was so intent on keeping track of our target’s
    position that it had never occurred to him to check his own rear. Well, it
    wasn’t as though civilians were exactly accustomed to watching their back while
    flying. I began to feel real pangs of guilt, or at least would have, if all hell
    hadn’t broken loose at the same time. I don’t much like to talk about it;
    besides, that tale's been told already by some hack who turned my retirement
    story into a cheap piece of pulp.

Long story short- I got ambushed, left to die, and it took
    me four days to limp back to the Freeport. Not sure if I got a wink of sleep in
    that time. Nav was working only sporadically; I barely made it back in one
    piece. My ship was basically scrap; by the time I was tractored back into the
    Freeport, I only had a semi-functioning thruster, a leaking reactor with one
    core working, and life support that kicked on and off. I was fully suited up on
    account of there being a gnarly crack in the windshield. Couldn’t even hail
    anyone on the comm- it was blasted, too. By the time I was within sensor range,
    the Freeport boys figured on their own that I needed help and towed me in. The ‘Cuda
    was trashed. I would have had to take on some serious debt to get her right
    again, and I had my first black mark in the Guild registry for the blown
    mission. Goodbye, paying jobs. See, for a hunter, reputation is everything. For
    me to screw up my first mission outside of Liberty space and damn near get
    killed- nope. Clients would access my Guild record and see that I was nothing
    but a Rogue catcher who paid the piper for thinking that he could take on Corsairs.
    I would be lucky to get a job babysitting convoys for gas money- and that ain’t
    no way for a bounty hunter to earn his scratch.

I sold the ‘Cuda for parts and used what savings I had to buy
    a used Rhino back on Manhattan. What a goddamn disgrace. The ship was
    technically certified for jump gate passage, but I barely trusted it on a trade
    lane. Whoever owned it before me must have thought that maintenance was
    something that other people did to
    their rigs, because there was always something broke on it. It was ugly, flew
    like a sick pig, and the cargo hold started smelling funny whenever I hit the
    cruise drive. The hull was thin, and the reactor had trouble powering both the
    weapons and shields at once, even though they were so weak I might as well have
    just skipped mounting them and saved the credits. Even the goddamn bunk smelled
    like the last guy, no matter how many times I chemed it. Still- it was the only
    thing that I could afford after booking passage back from the Freeport. At
    least it had a similar cockpit layout as my old ‘Cuda- but it wasn’t my ‘Cuda,
    and I was no bounty hunter. I had suspended my Guild membership indefinitely so
    that I could become a truck driver and get back on my feet- at least, that’s
    what I told myself. Truth was, I was done.

Old Hunters say that a man will always know his last job
    with the Guild, one way or another. If you’re lucky, it means a scoring a dream
    bounty. For some like me, it was a scrape that was too close to shrug off. For
    most, though… well, the Guild is always hiring for a reason.

Edited 11 times, last by Pertinax: Lore errors. Rheinland fought GMG, not IMG. LPI controls Liberty prisons, not LSF. Derp. ().