Review: Prince of Persia Warrior Within

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Nuclear_Winter.

• Prince

of Persia: Sands of Time was undoubtedly one of the best games of 2003/2004. It was charming

and witty, set in a beautifully airy palace where dust-motes danced in beams of sunlight

shining through the windows. More important than all this, it was thought-provoking and

highly enjoyable, in a market currently flooded by grisly, brainless first person

shooters.

So where can you go from there? Sadly, despite everything it had going for

it, Sands of Time didnt sell many copies. This has caused Ubisoft to run in completely the

opposite direction with its sequel, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. I can imagine the

design meeting going something like this:

Designer: So, we have a game

which people really enjoy, but it didnt sell that well. What can we do to improve

this?
    Marketer: Semi-clad leather-wearing women! Preferably in

thongs!!!
    Marketer:Pant
    Designer: O......kay, and what about

the gameplay?
    Marketer: Well, we had a game before that was all about

finding your way to the next section, with occasional fighting. How about we create a sequel

thats all about fighting, with a bit of not-very-interesting exploring and a lot of

confusion. That can pass as pseudo-intelligent and will keep people playing

longer.

Thus, the problems with this game are numerous and huge. Combat, the weakest

aspect of Sands of Time, is now the main focus. It crops up everywhere, and the large number

of combos you are provided with reduces the whole process to a button-mashing mess. The

sandstone palace has been replaced by a gothic castle, grey and dark, with a sound track to

match. The whole game in fact is seeped in bloody grimness, with much more emphasis being

placed on decapitation and cleaving animations than on exploration and enjoyment. The

script, such as it is, ranges from cheesy to downright painful, with the Princes charm and

wit so lacking that you could be forgiven for thinking that Warrior Within was written by

those responsible for the brain-dead offerings of Need For Speed Underground.

It

doesnt end there either. The camera, which caused most of the frustration in Sands of Time,

remains unchanged. You still cant pan through walls, which occasionally forces the player

into unnecessarily claustrophobic environments, or makes you fight against opponents who are

off the edge of the screen. The fixed camera angles can also be problematic - to pick a

specific example, on one occasion you have to run up a wall and grab a rope. The camera is

fixed in a position which makes this difficult, but makes accidentally running along

the wall and out over the edge of a cliff much easier.

Sadly, this game is a

disappointment from the very first cut-scene. Boycott it - go out and buy Sands of Time

instead. You wont regret it, and you will be giving an under-sold game some much needed

support.

6/10 (3/10 for disappointment)

• well ime a pround owner of sands of time.. ille surely get this one

and yeah

the fucken camera is really frustrating!!!!!!

• See, thats the problem, regardless of whether you were joking or not.

People, on the

whole, are fucking idiots. And the average gamer is a 13 year old american idiot. That is

why EA do so well, while games like Sands of Time, Metroid Prime 2 and Riddick fall by the

wayside. I get angry just thinking about it.

• jeez!

I thought

that gfx/cpu/mobo upgrade ive been trying to talk myself into would be enuff to run it, but

if that's true, my 512 ram will still cause the comp to die :(

• well you can increase your page

file...

i was thinkin to get 2 corsair 1gig to add to my ram..but thats kinda

expensive