Freelancer.exe - Application Error : The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)

There are 2 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SilverFox.

• I am using:

Windows 7 – 64bit
    Q9300 2.5ghz CPU
    8GB RAM
    Geforce GTX 450

So after numerous attempts over the past 3 days of trying to get Crossfire 1.9 to work, almost ready to give up so this is my last attempt. Each time the problem has been what is in the subject. I have checked the threads that are similar and nothing has worked. I have followed a few different sets of instructions from different people to no avail.

The first time I tried Norton complained at me and quarantined a file which I quickly restored the file and set the correct instruction for Norton to allow the file. I had problems running it still so tried a re-install which then gave me the 0xc0000005 error. I wasn't able to actually start the game on both occasions though.

The last attempt I have just tried:

1. Installed Freelancer – deleted save file
    2. Un-ticked read only
    3. Installed flmm 1.31 (unblocked exe file first)
    4. Un-ticked read only
    5. Installed Crossfire(unblocked exe first) to flmm mods file
    6. Turned off read only for flmm & freelancer again
    7. Ran Freelancer – Opened Crossfire Launcher http://tinypic.com/r/29bknx2/8
    8. Waited for download of client and then clicked on single player
    9. Computer tried to load game for a few second, nothing happened
    10. Tried to run Freelancer.exe again, client crashes and then opens different launcher http://tinypic.com/r/wqt3bo/8 http://tinypic.com/r/2808n5c/8
    11. Clicked on Single player and receive error; “Application popup: Freelancer.exe - Application Error : The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.”

No problems from Norton Anti Virus
    Used Administrator privileges as much as possible
    No problems mentioned during installation of Crossfire1.9 or flmm 1.31
    Used CCleaner/ revo to get rid of all FL/ FLMM/ Crossfire related data before attempting install

Tried setting Freelancer.exe as compatibility mode – windows xp
    No Windows updates recently
    Also tried downloading CF1.9 and FLMM all over again just incase they were corrupted.

Looked in my event
    viewer for Application errors:
    EVENT ID: 1001
    [font='&quot']Fault bucket
    , type 0[/font]

Event Name: PCA2
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
    P1: Freelancer.exe
    P2: 0.9.0.8
    P3: CFLauncher
    P4: CFLauncher
    P5: utrack
    P6: 200
    P7: -1
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

I’ve also tried on previous attempts:
    1) install vanilla FL (remove from whole folder write protection and made COPY for this vanilla FL folder to separate place (will explain later)
    2) install FLMM
    2a (optional) reboot PC
    3) install CF (it will ask for flmm location and will instal into
    flmm/mods/crossfire1.9 directory
    4) (optional) remove write protection from this installed mod
    5) run flmm as administrator! and activate CF
    6) (optional) remove write protection from activated CF
    7) DELETE previous FL save folder in documents (like I mentioned above)
    7b (optional) reboot PC

8) run cf as admin (is rly good idea run cf via shortcut to freelancer.exe.
    Using flmm for run cf is not necessary and very likely only lead to troubles
    (as I vitnessed on one my clan mate). For this shortcut you can easily set 'run
    as admin' in file properties)

As well as the install instructions in the Q/A as well as from the CFguide.swf

Hopefully able to get some help if possible :)
    Thanks in advance.

• index.php?page=Article&articleID=968&languageID=1#New Launcher

... check especially this part with using once MP.

Next trouble can be that after you first time ran launcher, it was remaining in memory as running process. Error code which you posted may be related to this. If freelancer.exe remain in memory, then every further launcher start ends with crash.

For norton: could be good idea put WHOLE freelancer and flmm folder into 'exceptions'. I have bad feeling that most problems with cf have users using this AV. Try please put game folder to exceptions and assure that there is not any freelancer.exe active. My experience is that on my pc when I first time start cf i have crash some process related to launcher. I let him close, check processes in memory and start launcher again - All further starts works normal.

... as note: 2.0 launcher never crashed to me (in few months of tests and 2PCs usage) .

Edit by

Edit by

Edit by
    ... especially ending part on page 2

Edit by

Edit by

• I would try to click on Multiplayer when you can, after a reboot - maybe this fixes the error you made in 7/8. The text in the Launcher (your picture) clearly writes "click on Multiplayer button" :) and you clicked SP
    hth

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png