Search Results

Search results 1-8 of 8.

• space magic! Well, scientifically I would say that "it depends"... Like Huor said... gravity shouldnt be an issue if you are fast enough.... really fast... damn fast. The orbital speed around such objects at such a close range has to be incredible fast. Parking and scooping... yeah... you are pretty much dead. Heat... well a human body is less heat resistent than a space probe. Most electronics today can operate fine at temperatures of 100°C... a human body can not. Of course you can compensate…
  • The thing is that even with such a material (which might exist) you wont get rid of the problems. Gravity is not really a force... its a property of spacetime and therefore can not be shielded. While you can develop materials that can withstand gravitational forces to a certain degree, everything inside this "tin can" would still be vulnerable to gravity. But to be honest just alone to think about that is pointless. Fact is the entire object (ship) needs to orbit fast enough around the star or …
  • (Quote from Huor)I dont know how to generate force fields, at least not such force fields used in scifi. In my eyes it is possible to generate plasma shield around a ship. That would really protect the ship from radiation and micro-meteorites. All you need are a bunch of strong and fine tuned magnetic coils, a bit of ionized gas, a hull which does not corrode while this force field is active and an energy source. It wouldnt protect you from everything but it can shield at least a bit. The energ…
  • Actuallly a plasma shield would be pretty effective against projectiles of any kind and also charge particles. Its the only type of shield that I can imagine to work (except for armor plating). You wont get far with only magnetic shielding. Most particles would simply penetrate that. ... and... nobody said that plasma shields are risk free. Idielly you put the same charge on the ship hull as the plasma field has. Equal charges repel each other. Im not sure if solar wind is a good energy source …
  • I think the most realistic approach to space travel is to develop an ion drive that manages to achieve 1 G thrust. Thats actually not much but gets you pretty far if you burn it long enough. A bit more than one month to mars... slightly longer for locations further away. And you wont need to worry about health risks for the crew. That thrust would create the "gravity" the human body would need.
  • well, i wouldnt want to sit in a ship with drops nuclear explosions behind As soon a shock absorber has a malfunction you are slobber on the wall. Next to that is the radiation still deadly. We are not good at shielding that yet. The Expanse does many things right. The thrust with the equivalent of 1G is all we need for space travel. In theory this possible. Since you dont want to carry around too much fuel due to the mass the efficiency of the thruster needs to be improved. Especially in the p…
  • Well, for the people outside the spacecraft (perspective of the people staying at earth) a 4ly trip would take about 5.5 years. 1G gets you to a max speed of a bit more than 94% the speed of light. Accelleration and slowing down again causes this trip to be a bit longer than simply calculating lightspeed*0.94. Time dilation would shorten the travel for the passengers to about 3.5 years. Not an instant jump... but in my eyes a reasonable travel time for exploratoin and colonization. Howerver, I …
  • I think that of course its too far away for a short trip. But its not unrealistic to in terms of colonization efforts. NASA did work the past decade on the VASIMR engine which in theory could reduce the travel time to mars to about 40 days (a bit more than a month)... thats a significant improvement to the 5 months (travel time varys depending on distance at launch) thats usually assumed. And that engine is currently considered to operate in the "low energy area" (while low is a relative term c…