Posts by slyborg

Ok-I go home yesterday and it's down again. I DID keep a back-up .exe,so no re-install,at least. Checked my AV settings-no changes there. Then it hits me-the icon on the Freelancer.exe (the Crossfire thingie) is gone. I think that's why I thought the .exe file was getting deleted in the first place. So,to verify it-I start the game with the back-up .exe-no probs. I restart my computer and after the re-boot,open the game dir.Sure as heck,the icon on the .exe file is gone. I replace it again,run my Windows maintance program and then do a chkdsk. After the reboot,the .exe is unchanged.I fire up the game-no problems. So,I reboot YET again..and the icon goes bye-bye. All right-I replace the .exe,and run another chkdsk. It STAYS. As long as I have a chkdsk on the harddrive scheduled.the .exe stays unchanged.If I don't,the .exe gets mulched. Has anyone come across this before??

Running Windows XP 32bit,Blaster. Well,I do have a workaround at least. Just seems puzzling,is all. Something else that popped up-when doing a install of Freelancer,the setup program says it has to "modify" the Freelancer.exe. Never came across THAT before,either. The EXE file in the game dir is tiny,compared to the one on the cd-rom.

All right :( I check my quaratine to see if anything is there.Nada. So,I decide to try another mod and see if it happens again. I load up Frontier Space and the same danged thing happens. HOWEVER,this time,I can see a Freelancer.exe sitting in the game directory. It's like the game doesn't recognize it or something. If I try starting the game from CD,I get a "can't start Freelancer" message. Starting from the Start menu,I get a "Windows can't access the file/path/etc-you may not have permission" message. I have had this game a LONG time and have never run into this before. Is there anything I can do?

Ok,this has me stumped. The game has run just fine up till today. When I started the game this morning,I got a "Freelancer can't be found " error message. I re-install the game and it runs, no prob. I take a break for lunch,shut down my computer and when I come back-same thing. I again re-install everything-and it runs. This time,I load a game,run one mish,save and quit. After restarting my computer, the game won't load.OK-THIS time,after re-installing/patching etc,I make a backup copy of the Freelancer exe (after activating the mod). I again run one mission,save and quit,and restart my computer.When the game doesn't run,I copy the Freelancer exe back into the EXE folder...and it runs! I get a "do you want to overwrite" message when copying into the EXE folder but I don't see a Freelancer.exe file in there prior to copying. Is this fixable or do I need to keep copying the EXE file when I want to play? ?(

When activating the mod under FLMM,I see a selection of different options under the advanced shaders tab. If I want the maximum amount of eye candy,which option there is best? Do I need to enable the other options with this also? (dynamic lighting and high-quality textures,I think...)

I had the same exact issue. After I got the intial error message,I tried starting the game from the Start-Programs-Freelancer folder (Windows XP 32 bit). The game fired right up and I have been able to use the regular launcher (off the CD) since with no problems.