Posts by Finisher

Yes, you're right of course; I was just editing my statement regarding that, even as you must have been typing yours in.

:-)

<i>If a clan wants some "real-estate" they buy it </i>

Yes, but more than a third of the X-3043-accessible systems are already taken, and each of these systems has restrictions against entry, to one degree or another. That is their right: I am not disputing that; but read to the end and perhaps you'll understand my main point.

Neophobos seems, to me, not a bad little system; and as I mentioned I really like the Gunstar. Baene wants people to fly his ships, I would venture to guess; the Gunstar's a well-designed ship that no one gets to use. Effectively removing ships from circulation is a waste of the shipwrights' efforts and detracts from the richness of the CF mod.

Two or more systems appear to be rented by clans that are all-but-nonexistent. A few clans have strict rules barring anyone from so much as entering without explicit permssion, no matter if the other party belongs to another server clan or is a freelancer. One clan says, in so many words, that "no ppl are allowed until further notice" (forgive the misquote).

Outsiders are expected to stay out of these systems and not buy their ships without asking, even when no member of the clan is on the server. Again, this seems fair enough. It's their space -- they paid for it.

But some clans, I gather, have not been seen in multiplay or in this forum for weeks (months?) on end.

I certainly would not want to see a trend of "spoken for" systems that are kept locked away in cold storage.

It certainly would not serve to add excitement to the game!

If entire systems are left to their own stagnation -- off-limits, abandoned, and isolated from the rest of CF -- space could get to be a pretty dull place.

<I>They seem inactive though; if you were to sneak in I suppose DaD would never figure out.</I>

Man, that is tempting.

Who dares go into the Neophobos system...the shiny, golden, sparkly Neophobos system...the jolly, colorful, candy-like Neophobos system.

But this raises a question: how long can you lease a system <i>in absentia</i> ? There are many active clans and active players out there that would love a piece of real-estate; and yet there's not that much prized real-estate to go around.

Yeah, I would think they would threaten you with KOS, to force you to sell the ship, and give you a harsh tongue-lashing, etc., but this business of banning players for "breaking the rules" seems ridiculous.

Half the Sirius sector are supposed to be pirates, misfits, and rule-breakers, for crying out loud.

<b>I am not talking about technical rules that need to be enforced, such as cheating or misrepresenting clan affiliations and so forth.</b>

But when it comes to infringing on territories, that's what makes online role-play interesting, ain't it? Someone sneaks in and buys your ships. Well, time to get that bastard! Hunt him down like the mangy rat he is and make him sell that thing! But jeepers, ban him from the server? That sort of over-reaction will quickly make for a dull, over-refined, extremely clique-ish community. Everyone will be flying around kow-towing to one another and sipping tea.

This is a wargame of sorts. Lines are drawn in the dirt. If someone crosses your line in the dirt, kick their butt, by all means. It's all part of the fun, I should think. But ban them from playing? What kind of fun is that?

Hello,

Someone in multiplayer informed me that DaD hasn't been around in "ages." (Their expression.) Does that make Neophobos sort of a dormant/closed system? I saw in their rules that nobody was allowed in without asking, regardless of clan affiliation.

I was hoping for the opportunity to ask permission to buy a ship there.

Seems sort of a shame that all the ships there are effectively off-limits. That Gunstar is a smart-looking piece of flying equipment.