Posts by synapticflow

Thank you all! I absolutely plan to read, learn, and then take on the single player campaign of the game. After that I will try my hand at multi-player.

From these forums and other sites, I have learned that people call an un-modded version of a game "vanilla" Imagine that. Ha ha.
    I have seen recommendations that a first timer start with Vanilla. I may in fact go that route. If nothing else, it will help me fully appreciate the
    great deal of changes and work that has been put in by the modders.

ps: I'm still trying to learn my way around this site. I didn't even know that people had replied to me. Maybe there's something I need to change
    in my profile settings. I'll look into it.

My name is Brian - aka Synaptic Flow in my electronic music making and DJ life. I'm a new member as of today and wanted to say hello.

I'm a lifelong shmup fan and have playing them for years. I enjoy various other types of videogames, but anything involving a spaceship
    just always felt like what videogames were meant for.

Until recently, I hadn't played a space simulator type game in ages. I can't put my finger on the exact year but I want to say somewhere
    the mid 90s. I remember buying a red and blue flightstick made by Interact, but I have no memory of what games I was playing. I guess
    that means they weren't too noteworthy. After a few months, I was done with that type of gaming and stayed focused on my shmups and
    whatever else I could find to enjoy.

In the past few months I started seeing mention of several new space simulator games. I was happy to see their return even though my
    experience and knowledge with them was quite limited. I just know it was something that I was ready to embrace this time.
    I started researching some older games because I don't have a great computer right now. That's how I stumbled upon games like
    Freelancer and Freespace. I had heard of them in the past; even seen their boxes on the store shelves, but never bothered with them.

Imagine my amazement when I found out about Crossfire and various other amazing mods that people have slaved over to upgrade these
    games to modern standards. I knew I was about to be in for a really cool experience. I have Freelancer and Freespace 1 and 2 waiting for
    to explore them.

So I'm here today about to undertake this space simulator journey for what truly feels like the first time. I'm waiting for my flightstick
    to arrive and getting my computer neat again. Then I will be ready to launch.

I've messed around with Galaxy On Fire on my android tablet and found it to be fun. I can't wait for a full fledged PC experience that will
    blow that one away.

So greetings to you all. I hope to see you in space someday!