Posts by Arvedui

Originally posted by NewPol
    That was a cute and sympatic mouse, but my wife has a different opinion on this subject . :D

u know, u cannot mix women and mice...

however they love those small cats... cats and mice are both small hairy mammals... where is the difference?

even cats love mice ^^

well... who can understand women?

mmm, the repair process most times doesnt allows to reset admin

password i think... anyways, i think also in some comps it could allow... usually the best

admin password for most computer owners is no password at all, so i usually dont care too

much about the admin password screen during repair/reinstall (u know, the nextnextnext

syndrome) :rolleyes:

the program i pointed in the other post allows to reset any

users password, including admin

its

part of my job to do that stuff and i repair 2 or 3 systems each week :) and definitevely it

works... sometimes...

the repair proccess is in fact a reinstall process in wich

part of the registry (including the part regarding the installed software) is not

deleted.
    its specially useful when the mainboard or any other main component of the

computer is replaced... it allows u to keep ur old system working in the new system without

reinstall the software or removing ur data

its main goal is not to remove old

passwords, but, as many other windows install process, usually ends with the "users setup"

screen, where u can add new users (although it can vary depending on the version used and

the users config in the previously installed OS)

on the other hand, it is a long

process (as long as a full reinstall of XP) and it can fail if the hardware in the comp is

not so standard and includes some exotic drivers... (usually TV cards are problematic)
    if

it fails the only way is to reinstall from scratch, formatting the HD...

for mechs

case i think this repair is only a "last resource", to be tested only if he cannot find a

software capable to recover the password in an easier way...

jtak gave a very interesting website and u probably will find some

software that allows u to recover the password

anyways, if everything fails, and

before formatting, try this:
    just boot from a XP disk. the second time it asks about

repairing system press R. the repairing proccess will start. the screens u can see are quite

similar to those in the windows install proccess, but unlikely to there, all the info and

config of ur comp will remain usable (including installed software and drivers). at the end

u will be able to choose a new admin password and to create new (admin)users
    its very

important that the XP version u have in the comp matches the one in the CD (u cannot repair

an XP Pro with a XP Home disk or a XP Home with a XP Pro disk)
    mmm, and take some

coffee... it will take an hour or so...

good luck ;)