Blue dots and weird things on screen

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Ruivo.

• My pc is going from bad to worse, now i don't have only to deal with constants bsods, but also with these weird blue dots that appear in the boot screen, and weird images on windows loading screen. The windows doesn't load anymore, (only when i boot the system via security mode, and still, it crashes after 10 to 20 minutes.)

The bug is similar to the weird images that appear when you overclock your graphic card too much. But i'm not overclocking mine, and it has a big pentium II fan sticked to it.

Any sugestions? (just please, don't tell me that my GC is on it's final days of life)

• First you can start with "what was my last software changes that i made" - some programs installed/uninstalled may cause trouble. If you're sure that your video card is not overclocked then check the following - see does the fan on the GPU is working fine and make good contact to the GPU surface. If evrything is ok i believe only your video card memory modules left to cause this usually again if they are overclocked but as you said their are not. How long you have this video card what was your last changes on your PC setup. I think most cooling fans on both CPU, GPU and so on are not blowing wind into the radiator but do exactly the opposite - it creates vacuum between the cooler and the radiator by "throwing" the air out of the top so air is comming sidelong the GPU and the radiator ang going through the fan to the top. I hope i could explain it on my not verry good english. This was nearby components and the radiator are both cooled. If your cooler is not making this vacuum but blow air into the GPU, nearby componets most likely are getting hotter (maybe memory chips too), under the cooler is created a "dead spot" where air is not mooving much. Also dead spot and the fact that old GPUs are not flat at the top (that created bad contact between the cooling system and the chip) make it hotter, so if last days your room temperatures is rising or by some reason cooling is not that efficiant anymore or airflow in your PC case is changed to worse that could happen. There are hell alot of things that can cause this you should try alot of things. You can see does a open case will raise the amount of time that system don't crash. Touching the radiator of the card when its under load, and checking does it make good contact should be done i think.

• I guess you hited the right spot. It's summer here, and summer in Rio is very hot. This week we're getting temperatures between 43°C to 45°C, and 97% of air umidity, 97%!

I don't overclock my graphic card, but i use it a lot, and this definatly fried it. I've tested it in another pc here at home, and it didn't worked, i've reseted the CMOS jumper, and also, didn't worked.

It was my first true graphic card, i bought it last year, from a friend who used it for 1 year as well. Now i guess i'll have to announce "Fried GeForce 4 64mb" on eBay :(

• Try working on the cooling system - try open case or add an extra cooler at the back of your case (most of cases have a 120mm fan slot at the back) andmount it in direction to get air out of the case not to pus air from outside to inside (i did this before and this really make it hot inside). If you can mount a cooler at the front of the case to get fresh air inside the case and try to move your HDD, CD-ROM and so on cables not to interrupt the air flow (front->back direction)

• Yeah, i did that long time ago, it stoped most of the bsods, but i guess that this won't fix the gc, already screwed up.

• Is there any possible way, that the anti-alias 2XQ might be bugged and causing that problem? I never used it, and this week, the first time i've enabled it, the problem appeared.

Another thing is that i never used outlook express either, and on the first day i've used it, nothing wrong, but the next time i've turned the PC on, there was the problem.

When i've thought i got rid of the problem (by cleaning the golden part of the GC with rubber), i was able to use windows. But when i've started outlook, the pc booted and there was the problem again.