BSOD problem. Opinions?? Please!??

There are 2 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Ruivo.

• Hello folks, i'm having a BSOD ("blue screen of death" for those who don't know. The windows blue error screen, aka as "STOP" error. I hate that, who doesn't?)
    problem with my "new" mobo.

Ok, it isn't new, it's my brother old mobo, an pIII from 2002, can't remember the model...

Sometimes is "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" (memory issue, most times), sometimes "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA" (page file error, i tried to fix by giving the page file a constant size (512mb), looks like it's ok now), and the most disturbing, one i've never heard about, "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" (i mean, i've heard of LFN LIST CORRUPT, and FREE LIST CORRUPT, but PFN!?)

I've considered contacting Microsoft, but since my windows copy is ilegal (it's almost umpraticable buying windows outside the United States, and since i don't live there, the pirated copy was my only choice), that was out of question.

I am thinking that this is definatly an memory problem, i mean, these errors keep happening, 4 times yesterday, and this is irritating. But other thing is, i've used these memory sticks in my old mobo, and that never happened.
    The easiest way i think would be dumping this mobo and return to my old mobo that is the same thing, the only difference is that this mobo can handle pIII's up to 866mhz, and the old one was on the limit with an 750mhz pIII. And it's my old brother mobo, i mean, when he bought this, it was top of line, 4 years ago, so i spent happy hours on it and couldn't wait to put my hands on it. :P

Could be an memory slot problem? Reducing the memory clock, or the cpu rate could help!? anyone!?

• Hello Ruivo,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have had a quick look at your problem, and would like some additional information.

At what point does your machine crash. Is it during boot up, or at times during normal use.

I include the following links to help you get some background on this fault, and hopefully we can sort it out.

Common Stop Messages for Troubleshooting

http://www.microsoft.com/resou…t/en-us/prmd_stp_xbsx.asp

How to Troubleshoot a "STOP 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" Error Message

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291806&sd=RMVP

STOP 0x4E, STOP 0x1A, STOP 0x50, and STOP 0xA Errors Occur When You Try to Start the Computer

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=271955

As you have already discovered, the fault may be with your memory or a driver. I would suggest taking the memory out of the machine, and giving a good blow in the memory slots to remove any loose dust.

If you have good hands, you may consider getting some toilet tissue or similar, and rubbing the gold contacts to remove grease and dust from the memory sticks. Be sure to touch an earthed pipe in your house first, as you may damage the memory with static electricity from your body.

You may also be having issues with the speed of your memory. If this does not match your BIOS settings, instabilities will occur.

The above should keep you out of trouble for a while, but please PM me if you need further assistance.

Regards,

PiA_JtaK

• Hey man, thx for the links, they're very usefull and i'll take a good look at them.

But for now the best tip is the one you gave me, as for this motherboard was working on a dusty place for some time.

And yes, one of the memory sticks is pc100, and i've found out that the memory clock on the bios was set to 133mhz, so i've reduced to 93mhz, and that helped a lot, the pc is usable now, but the errors still occurs sometimes when i'm using the pc normally. Thx for the advice m8!