Am I installing this right?

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by goodone.

• Today I tried installing the CF 1.7 mod onto a clean install of FL. I first installed FL. Then the official v1.1 update. Then FLMM 1.31. Then CF v1.7. The SP game started fine, but the multiplayer button was greyed out, so I tried installing the CF 1.7a patch. Still no multiplayer, so after digging through the forums, I found out about CF 1.7e patch.
    To make sure everything was installed OK, I uninstalled the patch, the mod, the mod manager, then FL itself. Then I made sure all folder, files, and any leftover registry entries to FL, or the mod where deleted. I then installed FL, and rebooted like the game said. Then installed the v1.1 update. Then the FLMM 1.31. Then the CF 1.7 mod. Then I unzipped the CF 1.7e patch to a folder, then moved the data\ , & exe\ folders to the Freelancer game folder overwritng files it wanted. When I tried starting the multilayer option from within the SP game (as suggested in the forum thread), the game crashed to the desktop before loading the server list. Am I doing something wrong? ?(

PCPartner RS485MKM-A94S (ATI Xpress 1150 + SB600)
    Athlon X2 5600+
    2GB Gskill DDRII 800
    Nvidia 7600GT PCI-e 256MB
    ESS 1938 Solo-1 PCI soundcard
    WD 80GB SATAII HDD
    WinXP Pro Sp2

• did u delete the saved games (My Documents/My Games/Freelancer/)?

btw: official patch 1.1 is not needed

General - DC commanding staff member & DC Truchsess
    DC Website: http://www.swat-portal.com/php…hp?page=Board&boardID=413

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

--
    Karl Marx: To do is to be!
    Lenin: To be is to do!
    Freddie Mercury: Doo be doo be doo!
    --
    RPG: Es gibt keinen Alkohol in Mittelerde! -> Mist!
    --
    I heard that's me having a beer (^^):
    ..... O
    LI² \ ' /
    ..... ^
    ..... / \

• I did delete the the save game folder as well. I'll try again without the v1.1 patch.

Athlon X2 5600+
    2GB Gskill DDRII 800
    WD 80GB SATAII HDD
    WinXP Pro Sp2

• hopefully, u did wait for launcher to update files, started sp (no need to go into multiplayer), exited fl and started it all again waiting for updates again. and btw, u dnt need cf1.7e update no more... but it will not hurt if u install it too.

u r receiving updates, right? - will be my 1st remark.

We sit together,
    The mountain and I,
    Until only the mountain remains.

- Li Po

• I seen nothing of these exact, extra steps being stated in a readme. However, I did let it update, which it wouldn't unless I installed the 1.7e patch. I have did a clean, fresh install, without, the v1.1 patch, and am letting the launcher update the mod as I type this, then I'll quit the game, and relaunch again. After it updates again, should I quit, and restart again before launching the game?

Athlon X2 5600+
    2GB Gskill DDRII 800
    WD 80GB SATAII HDD
    WinXP Pro Sp2

• It's working now. Thanks for the help.

Athlon X2 5600+
    2GB Gskill DDRII 800
    WD 80GB SATAII HDD
    WinXP Pro Sp2

• i am glad u have made it. enjoy ur stay here. ^^

btw, u have just followed my instructions, right? entering sp once helped solving the problem?

We sit together,
    The mountain and I,

- Li Po

• Is anyone else getting this type of error? :

When I activate the mod in FLMM, near the end of activation I get an error, usually something like:

Error: problem activating 'Crossfire Mod 1.70 Client Edition'
    Error: SHCopyFile failed ('C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\ ...

Thing is, the error was different from the last time I tried to do a clean install of the mod.
    So, the next time I tried it, I re-activated the mod in FLMM *without* a clean install or restoration of backup files (the FLMM menu option). I thought I'd just try to overwrite the previous activation attempt. I get the same _type_ of error, except it's a *different* one.
    The first error was something about a pirate head 5 file. The second round, the error was about failure to copy content.dll.

There are no other mods installed.

• cf patch is not compatible with deactivation/activation option in flmm, because of the way flmm works, and mod's complexity.

every installation of cf should b done by a fresh install of every aspect from installation procedure. this might change in the upcoming 1.8 version.

b sure to follow installation procedure EXACTLY as it states.

We sit together,
    The mountain and I,

- Li Po