Search Results

Search results 1-10 of 10.

• (Quote from YourConscience) There have been talks about creating a small company to approach Microsoft (Uberlancer), but they suffered from a lack of knowledgeable and rational leadership. The stated goal was to ask Microsoft to release the source code (which is a pointless exercise). To my knowledge, no organized group of Freelancer enthusiasts has approached Microsoft with the kind of licensing plan that you suggest. And, yes, a licensing plan has a much better chance of success than asking M…
  • (Quote from Ryleous Arkane (SA_ORION)) Civil engineers have more at stake than money and legal risks if they don't do things the right way. During my first month of undergrad school they showed us the video of the first Tacoma Narrows Bridge: [video]youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw[/video] It was intended as a reminder that mistakes made by engineers can have devastating consequences. In other words: Don't screw up! (For those who do not know the story, the first Tacoma Narrows Bridge became a l…
  • (Quote from SWAT_OP-R8R)Right, I mentioned Igiss, as well (Discovery). All of the modders on your list are strong (obviously). I helped LancerSolurus publish his SUR Builder, which is a brilliant tool (I fixed a couple of bugs and improved the user interface). It creates working SURs in a few minutes, which is very helpful for many modders. It will never replace hand-crafted SURs, of course, but it is a convenient tool nevertheless. As you say, he is an extremely knowledgeable (and interesting)…
  • (Quote from Michael)Yes, it is real. The bridge was built in 1940. At the time, the Tacoma Narrows bridge was the third-largest bridge in the world at nearly two km (more than a mile) in length. The motion was noticed when the bridge opened, and attempts to fix the motion failed. It finally collapsed when the wind increased to 64kph (40mph). You can read about it here: Tacoma Narrows Bridge (version 1.0, 1940) The whistling effect was sub-sonic. The wave motion appears to be less than one hertz…
  • (Quote from Huor)Very true. In 1940 Igor Sikorsky was still experimenting with his prototype helicopter, cars were unreliable, and nobody even dreamed of Facebook. To attempt to build a 2 km long bridge over water at that time seems like an enormous undertaking. As for running a local Crossfire server, I do not think it would be all that difficult to achieve, but I suspect that OP would not want us to discuss the instructions here!
  • (Quote from Michael)Well, I meant, "not that hard for a normal person". OP always sets the bar a little higher than normal. That is the yin and yang of Crossfire -- it is awesome, but almost all of its problems come from trying to do things that are not easy to do. (Shrug)... I have had more fun playing Crossfire than any other mod. In the end, I suppose that is the only thing that really matters.
  • (Quote from Michael)I have. I have done all of the quests, mapped every system, visited every base, killed every type of alien except for the largest Dom cap ships, found most of the wrecks, and returned all of the surviving GMG pilots back to the GMG base in Omega 3. I played most of it with difficulty_scale set to 2.0... until I reached the Inner Core! I personally find MP boring, as do many hard-core SP players. I do not find it fun to do PVP when my ping times are ten times longer than my o…
  • (Quote from Michael) Well, I never made it into the Nomad base on Styx, and obviously not onto hostile Dom bases. Otherwise, yes. As I said, most of the time I increased the difficulty rather than decreased it. Of course, it only took a few trips into the Inner Core before I turned difficulty_scale back to 1.0. > time to make your own ssytems now !! heheh I have modified systems, and many other things in Freelancer. After all of these years, the modding is at least half of the fun. > the ping c…
  • (Quote from SWAT_OP-R8R) Yes, exactly. Still, though, it is a cool achievement. How many other people have built something as cool as Crossfire? Ever in their entire lives? You might as well retire now, OP. It will be hard to do anything more impressive in the rest of your life. You would be better off just giving up now... (jk!)
  • (Quote from SWAT_OP-R8R) Good.