Search Results

Search results 1-7 of 7.

• I was confused by this choice at first as well... On the record, it is said that President Obama received the prize "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." For my part, I can think of a few things the American President has done in terms of foreign affairs that may merit this. For starters, in the words of the New Zealand Herald, "Not being George Bush was a good start. For Bush represented an arrogant, belligerent, unilateralist st…
  • (Quote) Maybe, but I see the President as moving towards the centre with policy (yet losing it to the reorganizing right-wing). What ever happened to no more wars in the Middle East? He won't even set a time-table for withdraw in Afghanistan while considering to send more troops. Maybe he'd back single-payer health insurance like the rest of the developed world has? Nah - he immediately leapt to a compromise, and when the GOP balked he let Baucus have a swing at it (whose proposal was so conser…
  • (Quote) @I am D: The documentary was produced by Alex Jones' infowars.com. Alex Jones is a self-proclaimed paleoconservative and talk radio host from Texas who is considered by mainstream media outlets to be a conspiracy theorist. He has released at least a dozen videos since the late 1990s that (more or less) all relate to his negative perception of federal government and international affairs. According to Stephine Dubois, paleoconservatism refers to an "Old Right" faction in the U.S. that se…
  • Diablo: If he should be cut some slack it's because he's been in office less than a year and high expectations mean that everyone is going to feel disappointed regardless of how much gets done. Gender and race are irrelevant when it comes to the Presidency. They have no bearing on the person's ability to do their job. It is the ideas that should matter, and whether or not the public supports them. @I am D: Neither of us are lost. We've just got different ways of looking at the world. I agree th…
  • I am not sure of any names either. It is hard to learn about people like those who win these prizes without digging deep for information oneself. After all, bad news sells better than good news and this is clearly reflected in what gets reported. Theres nobody to blame for it, really, but it makes it hard I imagine for people to raise awareness of those who do the most good in the world behind the scenes. As for Ron Paul, I do know about him. He was very popular in the county where I live, and …
  • (Quote) There are disagreements between what the 2nd Amendment has to say about what the individual's rights are in terms of firearm ownership. I do not believe that regulating or limiting the kinds of weapons that can be privately owned is unconstitutional. To me the phrase "well regulated Militia" refers to what are presently state-level national guard units rather than to private vigilante groups. Congressman Paul is not exactly enthusiastic about gun control legislation. To answer your othe…
  • (Quote) That tends to be how I look at it - it's a democracy after all and nobody is standing in the way of any of us getting involved. Most politicians work long hours for much lower pay than their talents would garner in the private sector. They try to bring about changes, but it's much easier said than done. When they succeed, most people don't care. When they fail people gripe about them, use them as scapegoats, and adopt broad stereotypes. Yet that doesn't change anything. The fact is that…