Posts by Aendadar

My previous question about the unchecked files when doing the Norton security deal, it was a moot point. After doing the manual registry part, I went back and looked at the Norton deal....the entries were gong anyways.

Just finished going through this whole process all over. I even found a couple things I'd missed the first time around (dealing with going into the properties of certain files and clicking the 2nd top tab...for compatibility. I went over everything with a fine tooth comb. I even "combed" a few strands of hair twice (in a manner of speaking), just to double check.

BUT............when running the last step, running the desktop Freelancer Crossfire icon as administrator, it updated the files, started to run Freelancer, but got the same error as before and never even left the launcher before it closed.

This is getting so frustrating. Nothing seems to work. I'll give what Silverfox suggested a try...but not holding my breath.... hope it works...but......

If something don't give soon, I'll probably give up on Crossfire and go reload Discovery 487 a go (uninstalled it before even playing it, to give CF a shot).

I am at the point in running CC cleaner.  This is a copy and past from the install guide.

--- unmark all entries BESIDE were freelancer is written in any combination

Shouldn't I need these cleaned/deleted (so shouldn't they stay checked?)? I was curious first through this process, but unchecked the freelancer entries and everything else got cleaned. When I ran CC again, pretty much the only entris were the freelancer ones. So, just to be sure (would hate to have to go through this all over again), the freelancer entries stay or go?

I truly hope its worth the effort. I like space sims in general. I liked privateer way back when..... I recently got a copy of Freelancer (a friend picked it up for me) and played it from begging to end. I played it almost non-stop (only game I played for the time). I was going to just continue with freelancer then I found out about the mods (i.e. *.487 and installed it...then found out about Crossfire and started the process (didn't start playing *487 before uninstalling it) of D/L and install. Looks to be an awesome game and am looking forward to it.

Anyways..... here I go.... going to uninstall everything (mod, game, mod manager, etc)... then start as totally fresh as possible.

Thanks for the help. I'll be back here with word of the outcome. Hope its a positive one. :D

I just went back and doubled checked my Norton settings, to be sure the rules and exceptions for the files/folders were added.... they were/are. I tried to re-run the launcher, and got the same problem. My Norton/Virus/Firewall protection don't seem to be the problem. Freelancer, Crossfire & the Mod Manager initially downloaded and installed with no problem. I don't know if this is a case of "not seeing the forest for the trees" or something else.

I followed the guide as closely as possible (i.e. restarts, write protect shuffles, etc).... or as closely as the minor differences between the guides's (the person who wrote it) OS, virus/firewall protection version, windows version, etc. It is more likely than not, that there will be slight differences. For example, for the write protect part, there was no part that said write protect (when viewing a file/folder's properties), I could only uncheck the Read Only box. Then if I ever went back to the properties again, I would have to re-uncheck the box. Even though I clicked Apply, it'd revert back if I opened the properties again. There were a few other minor differences (guide's author having a different version of windows/Norton than I did for example).

Before using the guide, getting the programs/mods installed/downloaded was on the other side of the galaxy by comparison. By using the guide, I have been able to get into the same system and orbit the planet (in a manner of speaking), but am unable to land of the planet's surface (play the game after the launcher starting and file updates).

I'm so close....I can smell the Apple Pie cooling in the window. It's just so frustrating that I am unable to (as of yet) to eat any of it. I'll be glad to get this all figured out. I attached my dxdiag & launcher logs and the install guide I used.

Thanks for helping out so far.

I seem to be having the same type of problem that has been discussed here. I had many problems getting CR installed. I found an install guide that I followed and got everything installed, with no problem...well almost no problem. When I ran the CR shortcut (as Administrator), and the launcher came up, I clicked on SP. I was told that there was files to be updated, and if I wanted to update now, which I answered yes. There was over 200+ files being updated. After that was done, I clicked on SP again and was told there were files to be updated, I again answered yes. There were only about 11 this time. After the updates were done, I was told that CR was preparing to start, and so on. But before anything actually started, I got the errors that CR was stopping. I've attached the launcher log here. I followed the install guide on disabling my protection (Norton 360). I've attached the DxDiag file for my system also (running windows 7). I played the original FL with no problem from start to end. I'm also attaching the install guide I DL/ed so whoever tries to help me, will know what steps I took. I really hope that I can get this fix. Looking forward to playing CR. Oh, and yes, my copy of Freelancer is original store bought copy.