The Complete Elite Dangerous Background Simulation Guide 1.5.2

Andrew van der Stock, Sirius Inc CEO: Welcome to the first all-new background simulation (BGS) guide in quite some time, one that covers modern crime and punishment, fleet carriers, and, of course, Odyssey ...

Who is this guide for?

This guide is primarily for those who are just starting to get into BGS and those who are experienced BGS coordinators - to help them understand BGS better and be more efficient. This guide is designed to allow you to be highly effective at manipulating the BGS for fun and profit. Much of the guidance in the first part will not be new or surprising to experienced BGS Coordinators, but I hope the reference section can help them produce better BGS requests that use their team’s time more effectively.

BGS is not a second job!

BGS can be all-consuming. BGS is not a second job; do not let it get in the way of your family, life, or real job. If you feel obligated to do BGS every day or start to feel burned out, pull back and do something else in the game. Or take a break from the game. If you want to talk about it, come to SINC’s Discord (link) and chat about it. We have all been there.

• Version 1.5.2

Only text section to change

• Updated the bulk stealing section because after testing, I found the original process did not work, but it still did something interesting

Really minor updates from proofing the document

• Updated some image and table captions to be more accurate
    • Updated an equation to suck less
    • Fixed the ToC - unfortunately, Word has a bug where text can become headings, and this was in the ToC.
  • Version 1.5.1

Update notes:

With thanks to Cmdrs Cluster Fox, Smoke (Jal'Bur), Taipandot, and Pro Cambarus [SSL] for their suggestions and improvements, v1.5.1 has more than a few changes:

Get it from here: https://sinc.science/guides/sinc/The Complete BGS Guide 2024.pdf

• Revisions to the combat and election sections based upon hard data (Updated in v1.5.1)
    • Links to all of Jane Turner’s BGS forum posts (Updated in v1.5.1)
    • Playing as a team with a plan: the BGS force multiplier on page 60
    • Constructing a BGS Plan on page 60
    • Improvements to diplomacy recommendations
    • New Mining ship builds on page 25
    • A new method for loading your carrier twice as fast on page 34 thanks to Ghost Giraffe
    • A new method for influence peddling and smuggling bulk stolen goods on page 41
    • A new method to murder clean ships and avoid ATR on page 39
    • Improvements to positive and negative levers throughout the document
    • Improvements to descriptions about the way demand and profit drives trade
    • Improvements to the diminishing returns model
    • Incorporating details about effort on population size and max influence that can be gained.
    • Improvements on the reducing influence, particularly murder, and bringing them together.
    • Revisions to the retreat model to explain the important day more clearly.
    • And much more.

It's all open source. You can find the link to the GitHub repo in the frontispiece.

And I am ashamed to say that I didn't thank Jane Turner until this version of the Guide. Basically, because so many of the links to the important posts are now broken. I fixed that in this version of the Guide. Finding the new links was a tad challenging, but totally worth it. Thank you Jane!

• Version 1.5