Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 37.

• Hello everyone, I have something important to discuss with you today. It's about the future of this community so please take some time to read it.A few days ago I informed the Staff members of this community about a few issues and a potential solution to these issues. The SWAT Portal was founded more than 15 years ago and since that it went through many changes. Back then we started with a small forum and a rubbish website. In 2010 we did a major upgrade to our current Portal and improved it bi…
  • I dont worry about russian bots. Chinese and Korean bots are the real pain in the ass. Ive spent the past days testing demo environments in detail and contacting contacting different software developers to gather has much info as possible about features and of course the best procedure how to do such an upgrade. There is alot to consider here.But before we can even start upgrading we would need to see how far we would get with the financing of all that stuff. I managed to get a bunch of discoun…
  • i dont worry about my old friend coffee
  • It is very much appreciated and helps a lot.
  • well, hopefully the main part of the Portal can be transfered automatically. I am not sure about all parts. Its a lot of theory until I actually start working on it.The transferal of the wiki would be a copy/paste job. I would provide detailed information and access rights to the volunteers as soon the main part of the Portal transferal is done.(step by step)
  • thanks I meanwhile started taking backups but I guess getting everything running will take 1-2 days.Probably I can trying doing the main update this weekend. Next week I would have some additional free time to do detail work. Today i got the info that lancersreactor suffers the same problem. I absolutely didnt think of that. The software over there is even older than the stuff we use here at the Portal.I currently dont intend to do an upgrade there aswell. Lancersreactor has much lower priority…
  • Ok, just some important info on the current state. I have successfully taken multiple backups of the entire Portal and created a working duplicate of it that we can use for the WIKI transfer (and in case something goes wrong with the upgrade).The backup procedure finishes just a few minutes ago. So whatever you post from now on will not be part of the backups.That means if you create important posts between now and the time when I do the upgrade these posts are at risk of getting lost if the up…
  • (Quote from Crimson487) yep, one opinionmy opinion is very different from that when I look at how many different components have to be compatible, the support and most important the possibility to do upgrades without losing data.
  • cheaper is not better Ive used other software before and I also use other software for other purpose right now.Nothing else that I have tested so far offered the amount of the features that we need in a quality that Id like to see here.Lets face it you of course can get a free Forum somewhere, maybe even a free CMS, a Gallery and a place to upload files... but wont find something free that reliably is able to connect all of that and provide professionaly group and access management (plus alot o…
  • Ok, the upgrade took longer than I hoped for and was much more difficult than I expected. It looks like the Portal databases have become a bit too big to be simply imported or updated. I already started doing tests last thursday just to notice the upgrade is going to be a nightmare. The original idea to set up the software and then import the data never would have worked due to the large database tables. So I went with direct update procedure of the old Portal. This procedure failed +20 times d…
  • you still can check the wiki on the backup link above
  • speaking of mobile support Do we need a bright style just for mobiles? I would need to install one if required
  • taking a backup had highest priority
  • only that one?
  • (Quote from SilverFox)always trust your feelings
  • the new portal works more efficient. I improved the database access a bit and removed a bit leftover junk. All sites and userdata gets compressed during the server communication and I've forced all data to be encrypted so the data transfer between you and the server always is secure. I intend to do further improvements to the speed but that is more complicated and I need to convince the company that hosts the server to give me access to these settings.
  • The Portal might be slow atm. Ive started rebuilding one of the last datasets. That will take about 12-13 hours. Last dataset rebuild will happen tomorrow.
  • what issue?
  • Ok, I just finished the fine-tuning of the Portal settings. That took much longer than expect. The data rebuild btw. did successfully complete. That means that the new software converted all the data that was transfered from the old Portal into this new system. With other words: the new Portal will run smooth now. Just a bit info about what has changed in the past few days. The filebase which still has missing files (I am working on that) now offers the option to create support threads. These t…
  • Aside from a synchronization bot there are no other bots yet. Ive just set up a basic channel - nothing more. I am not very used to Discord (Ive only recently installed because I needed help with something). Whatever Discord channels, bots, etc. we might need will be set up. I just need feedback from the community about what is needed.