Posts by LancelotOnCrack

ASL Season 10 Semifinals

1. Flash (R) 2 - 4 Soma (Z)

2. Larva (Z) 1 - 4 Queen (Z)

Battle for 3rd place

Flash (R) 3 - 0 Larva (Z)

Soma(Z) and Queen(Z) are the next Sunday's finalists.

(Merged content) Please carefully read the options below before voting.

I've reread all of the posts since the hate talk started, and there are actually only 5 proposed changes to the current Arena rule set.

Also, it's unfair to slam OP for not magically fixing our problem as long as we are not 100% ready to break this problem into pieces and come up with the best outcome for all players - both those who want to just PVP and those who want to RP.

So, allow me to exert my uh... secretary skills, and put up the list with the proposed solutions so far.

We are morally obliged (if I used the word "forced", YLIYAN would have killed my crack dealer) to:

• Understand the consequences of these suggestions
    • Debate further
    • Eventually come up with more suggestions
    • Vote

NOTES:

- I'll update this post as suggestions / modifications will be posted.

- In all honesty and objectivity... Disco does not offer PVP only system(s), and it's RP would not solve our current problem. Like OP mentioned, it evolved around the universe their player base have constructed in time with their RP - just like this mod was created based on how the CF player base evolved over the past 10+ years. I really don't see a problem with CF's role play guidelines other than the Arena topic.

1. Keep the current rule set

Arena, Coloseum and The Hive

These are event systems and are not part of the role-playing universe. Players can use these systems for training, testing ship configurations and taking part in events. Players should not use these systems to avoid RP or protect stores ships. Players within these systems (eligible to RP) must leave if another player wishes to RP with them. The player must exit in a timely fashion though not necessarily through the nearest exit.

2. Allow RP in Arena/Colosseum/The Hive while still not allowing Out Of Role Play attacks anywhere else.

Quote from (IOC)Wanderer

It seems to me that this small change should not cause any new problems. "Players can use these systems for training, testing ship configurations and taking part in events" would still stay true for any training and testing that involves OoRP fights. Protection of events is already covered by another paragraph ("During events") in the rules.

The positive effect of this change would be to prevent questions like those Lancelot and Iliyan were asking. It can also make life simpler for Arena dwellers, for other players seeking RP with them, and for GRs who receive complaints from both.

3. Add AFK timer in Arena

Quote from Michael Webber

Add Afk timer in Arena to kick after 1h and fix the problem atleast partially?

4. Let Arena an PVP and Event only system

Below is a summary from multiple posts from YLIYAN (@YLIYAN please correct me if I am wrong about this or I am missing something):

• Let Arena to be PVP and event only system.
    • Players in Arena are out of role-play for as long as they stay there - this means that they are not eligible for placing bounties on them.
    • Players seeking refuge in Arena to avoid RP situations are breaking the rules, therefore are subject to being reported.

5. Disable placing bounties on players that do not have licenses equipped

Quote from Ajay

Okay. So far, I see that the sore point is people sitting in Arena, getting bounties placed on them and unwilling to leave Arena. Either because they were bountied for a reason or because they are only interested in PvP. I see two possible options:

1) Disable placing bounties on players that do not have licenses equipped. That way people who only want to stay in Arena (like Iliyan) can't be forced out by someone placing a bounty on them out of nowhere.

1.1) To stop people from carrying out an RP interaction then selling the license, disable dismounting the license within a set time limit after the last RP interaction (taxed, fined, evaded tax/fine, placed/collected a bounty, purchased BMG).

2) Only allow placing bounties on people that have carried out an RP interaction within a set time limit (don't we have an RP time limit of 2 hours?..). Again, if people only want to PvP, they won't be forced out by a bounty if they haven't done any RP.

6. Paid entrance to Arena/Colosseum/The Hive systems outside events

The mechanics are simple:

1. Deduct an amount of credits from each player that docks with the gates of Arena/Colosseum/The Hive systems - let's say 5,000,000 credits.
    2. This amount would be deducted daily (once every 24 hours) from the player's bank until the player leaves the system.
      • If the player does not have enough credits for this, then move player to planet Crossfire in X system.
      • If the player paid entrance, logs off after several hours and does not log back in for X days, don't deduct anything from his bank until the player logs back in the game with that char.

Obviously, this can be abused by players to avoid RP situations - eg: avoiding a merc that wants to collect a bounty, running away from a police / pirate to avoid being taxed/fined, etc... BUT because the player pays the fee to enter these systems, the loss is on his side too.

Before steering the crap hole further...

We all know that the Arena topic was raised far too often both in game and in forum/tickets.

The purpose of my 3 examples I used in my previous post was not fueled by hatred or a need to complain.

On the contrary - I reignited the Arena subject with those examples (and my subsequent posts), because, contrary to what Martind says: "Current rules are simple in this to avoid all kind of possible personal problems/excuses and discussions between players and server staff", historically it was proven that people tend to interpret the rules differently, and having clear answers on specific situations would leave less room for interpretation. Wanderer figured it out and played along - cheers, man!

This worked to some extent. After filtering out some of the replies in this thread, we are being left with more context on the rule and even suggestions.

I don't know about you, but I call this constructive, not whining/bitching/finger pointing - I apologize if I left another impression through my posts.

Thanks for picking on it, Wanderer. I will elaborate on #3 and #1.

What if I have no clue that I am being chased as my pursuer, for obvious reasons, doesn't state his/hers intention.

All I know is that someone placed a bounty on my ass. In this I must avoid Arena and postpone my mood for PVP till either expires or someone tries to claim it ?

Things get complicated if I am a known criminal or a police officer.

By camping Arena I am denying the other players that carry opposite license than mine from exerting their role. But for this, we have the Arena rule:

These are event systems and are not part of the role-playing universe. Players can use these systems for training, testing ship configurations and taking part in events. Players should not use these systems to avoid RP or protect stores ships. Players within these systems (eligible to RP) must leave if another player wishes to RP with them. The player must exit in a timely fashion though not necessarily through the nearest exit.

But, what if I just want to PVP all day ?

If I am a known pirate (*cough* ThanhRui *cough*) chances are that I will be denied this activity quite often. The same goes if I am an asshole cop and every pirate wants me dead, but they can't while I'm in there.

According to the Arena rule, I am supposed to stop what I am doing and exit the system whenever another player sends some nice mother related compliments over the com, expressing RP intentions. Maybe such kind of scenarios might have led to the events described by ThanhRui.

And this kinda messes up the Feng Shui, because I'd like to be able to have a break from RP while shooting disruptors at ThanhRui all day without giving a phoque. On the other hand: if I seek shelter in the Arena while being engaged in a RP activity, I am avoiding RP, therefore breaking the rule.

I think that there is a fair chance we will have this discussion again in the future, especially when there's going to be more players, unless we agree on altering the Arena rule to accommodate the players that just wanna PVP.

Example 1:

I log in the game and I am in the mood for PVPs. I set course for Arena, I reach the Arena system and I wait > 1hr for other guys to join me in PVPs.

Example 2:

I log in the game and I am in the mood for PVPs. I set course for Arena and along the way I mess with other people - tax, kill, etc... I eventually end up with a bounty on my head and with Police and/or Mercs chasing me. I reach Arena system and I sit there > 1 hour waiting for other guys to join me in PVPs.

Example 3:

I log in the game and I am in the mood for PVPs. I set course for Arena but along the way somebody places a bounty on me and A merc pursuits me for the bounty. I reach the Arena system before the merc can get close to me, and I sit there > 1 hour waiting for people to join me in PVPs.

In which situation am I breaking the rules?

Main priority is to get the basic functions running so players can connect to the new server and have at least the basic MP features aswell as the background security features running next week.

There certainly will be further improvements in the upcoming weeks dealing with statistics and such stuff. Right now this has no top priority.

Are the hook commands included in the basic MP features?

The new CF installer is almost complete and passed a few initial tests already.

I still have to update a few info files and am almost certain that I can compile the final version later this week. However, before publishing it it would be nice if some of you could do a few more test runs to ensure that everything is perfectly working. Any guinea pigs.... ehmmm volunteers?

Count me in.

Long time ago I played on a RP extensive server.

It was good for me until people started to create improbable and sometimes impossible scenarios in order to gain an advantage. We constantly had to redefine the RP rules because RP empowered people would always find a way around them for personal gain. At the end of the day, the server staff often felt that they finished a 2nd shift at work, instead of having a good time flying their ship and actually role playing. But... this happened long ago, on a server that was constantly full.

I think that RP can be a positive change on CF, and I believe that it can start on a personal level, with a few people having a drink over the discord chat.

So far, the majority of proposals circle around keeping the model with clan systems and bases. One proposal was to enable non-clan players to build their own "small" personal base (details at the end of the post).

Assuming that any of the proposed actions would happen after the clan leader(s) / representative(s) are informed that the rent is due, the following is a summary of the proposed actions when a clan fails to honor their end of the bargain:

Option #1:

• Remove clan billboards and messages from clan's system.
    • If exists, keep the base intact and lock it.
    • Set the system as available for rent.
      • the new rent price may be influenced by the base and i'ts completion status.

Option #2:

• Remove clan billboards and messages from clan's system.
    • List the system as available for rent.
    • If exists, lock and stash the clan base ( = archive it internally, but delete it from the system), so that if and when the clan representatives return, they have the option to:
      • Re-rent the system if is available.
      • Rent another system.
      • Redeploy their previous base in the newly rented system (previous or new one).
    • This option requires additional coding in order to enable base stashing and eventual redeployment.

Option #3:

• If clan base doesn't exist:
      • Announce via forum and/or other public method (in-game system messages, carrier pigeons, etc) that the system will be available for rent in <insert amount of time here> if current owner will not pay the rent within that time.

• If clan base exists:
      • Public announcement that the system rent was not honored.
      • The following actions will gradually happen to the clan's base and system:
        1. Deconstruct a base module / or multiple base modules after every <insert_amount_of_time> pass.
        2. When there are no more modules to deconstruct, deconstruct (=delete) the base.
      • This process would be publicly posted so that everyone to know what to expect when a public announcement like this is made.

• This is a very good incentive for other people (eg: clan's allies, friends, videochat sponsors, etc) to jump in and help by paying the rent in order to maintain the current ownership.
    • This option may be rather hard to implement in order to have the process automated.

Enable each player to build their own base

• This could actually enforce the roleplay (eg: allied clans building multiple bases in close proximity systems, thus fortifying their position).
    • This could also render clan bases useless, as every player (clan and non clan alike) could build their own base - depends on how players see this.
    • Clan systems will eventually end-up hosting multiple individual bases - one for each clan member.
    • Defining which systems are available to build bases in - to be discussed.
    • Payment method for such bases is yet to be decided: monthly VS one-time payment.
    • If monthly payment, then such bases will be subject to deconstruction on a yet to be decided model:
      1. Instant deletion when monthly payment is not honored (aka Option #1 above)
      2. Stash the base, hide the base, redeploy the base when player decided to pay again (aka Option #2 above)
      3. Public announcement and gradual deconstruction of the base (aka Option #3 above)
      4. <Insert other option here>

I believe that a poll would be useful here, but till we open one, let's see if there are any other ideas/suggestions.

I know <C> hasn't been around for enough time for it's voice to matter much. I am also aware of the events that led to <C> becoming progressively inactive. But here I am, back and trying to build it up again.

Re-listing a clan system and it's base for people to grab is unfair for the original owner(s). All the effort initially invested in building the base would basically be available for somebody else to benefit, even if it's short term. Inactivity can happen to any clan, as we are all well aware, especially when RL happens on key members of the clan (eg: in <C>'s case, 2 founders had their kids born, births that happened 5 months apart) .

Renting systems for clans and clan bases provide a unique purpose in playing this game - to my knowledge, no other mod offers this. And even if it did, the balance in this mod's ships and gear as well as the CF's dynamic economy are unmatched.

In my opinion, bringing new players aboard is simply a matter of publicity/visibility: streams, funny youtube vids, adverts on other sites, etc... , because this mod's got what it needs to be in the top. Getting stuff away from the players was in no case a good thing (except you're EA) .

So, my proposal is:

• Keep the model with clans owning systems and bases.
    • If a clan fails to pay the rent, then:
      • Message the leader and/or other key clan members 1 week before expiration
      • Provide a time buffer of 1 month after expiration date, for the clan leader(s) to pay the rent.
      • If within the 1 month time period there is no payment received from clan leader(s) or a honest and justified intention to pay but after the buffer , then:
        • Delete billboards, welcoming messages and list the system for rent.
        • Delete the base from the system but keep it "stashed" on the server, so that when the clan returns, they could rent another system and use the base in the new system -- not sure if this is possible form a technical POV, but in my opinion it would be the most fair thing to do.

As for the micro transactions - I agree that this might be a good thing, as long as it offers aesthetic perks and/or non-clan items. For example:

• purchase a color set for ship's lights from a pre-defined list of color sets.
    • purchase an engine trail color fro ma pre-defined list of options.
    • purchase a honk - the honk sound would be selectable from a predefined list of sounds.
      • an invisible hard point can be used for this, I believe, and the honk would be mounted on it - but it would require all ships to be remodelld with it.
    • purchase all available non-clan items.
    • purchase all available non-clan ships.

I have more ideas, but I will eventually open a new thread for it, as this is in regards to clan systems and bases.

Starcraft 1 ASL Season 10 started with a general WTF on everybody's faces when FlaSh decided to play as random. The WTF continued during the group stages when some of the underdog players moped the floor with the group favorites. Most of the games so far were a carousel of mixed feelings and uncertainty that lead to spectacular wins and comebacks.

WIKI:

For those who don't know, FlaSh is the StarCraft 1 progamer regarded as the GOD of this game due to his countless titles and trophies won, excellent multi-tasking and strategic play, often mind reading his adversaries and god-like macro game. He played only as Terran, having an overall win ratio of 71.04%. Having won more ASL trophies than any other SC1 player in the history of this game, he decided that it was time to give himself the ultimate challenge and YOLO ahead playing as random. During the Round of 16, FlaSh got to play as Protoss in both of his matches against Snow, who is regarded as the current best Protoss player in the game -- Flash 2-0 him within ~ 12 minutes per match.

Here is the link for the Round of 8 matches that happened today - enjoy: