Posts by Shadowdragon

Greetings fellow IOC mates, Shadowdragon here.

Just received an incoming transmission in Kusari space from an SA- ROOSTER

Msg states the SA has gathered all necessary commodities needed for an IC run scheduled to happen within the next day or so, and that they would need assistance in transporting said commodities. Said SA member requested that I relay this message up the COC to our Fearless Leader in order to coordinate logistics with SA Admiral Forlorn. Msg ends.

Looks like we may have an opportunity for some profit here folks.

@ RayOk; I am not exactly sure of your insistance here. You wish to have a thread closed because you have already given your opinion and you feel that this is old news? Interesting.
    Very well. I do apologize for taking up your valuable time Sir in reading this topic thread, but since I didn't happen to see any current (timeframe wise) posts concerning this and was responding to a post in an established thread, I trust you will allow me a small modicum of time in which to convey my thoughts/responses to a given situation. I will of course attempt to be concise, as well as limit my prose in this and all future posts in order to alleviate any potential literary onsomnia in regards to your viewing impatience.
    I do thank you for your post though, quite refreshing.

my thanks kind Sir, much appreciated. Hmnn, I'm afraid I don't quite understand your colloquialism of "washing your head". I'm going to interpret that as "giving me a wake up call" that we use here in the States. It wasn't my intent for that post to come across as a rebuke, and if it did so, I apologize.

1) You are correct. There are good people to interact with in space (and I have and am doing so), and to be able interact with those individuals is quite enjoyable. However, my first few hours ( and encounters) on the server were less than enjoyable. I realize that there is a potential language barrier on this server, and have taken that into account, but that doesn't mean that everyone is going to be cordial in their interactions with a new player, which was what I was trying to point out. I in no way meant to imply that this is a hostile server towards newcomers, merely pointing out what I have encountered on my first day on board as a comparison. No insult was intended towards anyone.

2) I agree with you for the most part. My observation within this context is that the individual was extremely young, impatient, and lacking sufficiant skill in articulating his issues in a positive and constructive manner. However, in this particular context, I was merely giving my opinion of what could be percieved as lacking any initiative of turning a negative into a positive. While I can certainly see yours and others opinions concerning this issue ( epecially givien the long and illuminating history of this mod), you will have to admit that to a new comer, your response can be misinterpreted at the very least as coming across as jaded, hence my responses.

3) This was actually just an observation, not a criticism. Given the time zone differences, and probably the time frame that I am logged on in order to play, it doesn't particularly surprise me that very few people are online, let alone any Rangers being on as well. This is not really an issue for me, as I enjoy playing irregardless.

Ticket system; Understood. But as a new player, starting off by complaing about pirate bullying by complaing to the admins right off the bat is usually not conducive to attempting friendly relations on a new server. Again, this could be contstrued as a perception error.

4) Certainly understandable, and I have no problem admitting my mistakes. Given my limited experience thus far, I am undoubtably equating character level with veteran level in terms of longevity for players. For that, I am in error, and will attempt modify my perception of player status. Thank you for bringing that to my attention, as I didn't consider that possibility.

5) Hmnnn. An interesting conundrum concerning this aspect. My perspective is that in my second hour of playing, my first encounter with a pirate demanding 5milc and then getting smoked when attempting to RP with the individual isn't really part of my fun factor meter :). I do agree that not all players/pirates are like that, but for a new player who doesn't have any real experience (fortunately I do have it) in these kinds of situations, it could be rather unsettleing. I do agree about the not giving up, I know I certainly won't ( I'm too old and stubborn, lol).

6) We're all human, and have different tipping points where social interaction is concerned. I certainly didn't mean my comment as a rebuke or to come across as if I'm better than you. I was merely trying to point out that despite the given provication from that young lad, there is always a potential to salvage something positive in any given situation (hmnn, gadzooks, am I really that old to be waxing loquatious like this? lol) in order for all those involved to benefit.

@ Mr.'s Zitzat and SWAT; unfortuneately I have to get ready for work, so I am unable to respond to your posts at this time. I will attempt to do so later, as I believe conducive dialogue assist in alleviating any potential for misunderstandings. My sincere thanks for your responses to my posts.

Shadow.

Such problems usually happen when ppl do not look (or ignore) on differences between different mods. If you try to ask little around, you can learn that hud color depends about player affilation to NPCs which is something completely else as crossfire role-play. For pirates and also other cf rp types are given rules which are on server page. You can get also help and many advices ... all this need only one: ask.

... gl on disco.

As a new player on this mod and server, I would like to give my observations/opinions towards this particular response of the topic.

Different Mods; Those of us who actually take the time and trouble to read the plethora of information contained herein for this mod, actually would understand the differences. For example, I also play Disco, Underverse, and a couple of other minor mods just to see how far the mod community has come (I remember when Lancers Reactor was the go to community repository, and when the 1st Crossfire came out) since Freelancer showed way back when. The OP's opening statement can (and does to some extent) have merit, and in my case, has validity because I have been exposed to similar situations in my brief time on here (Disco has similar issues as well, human nature vastly ironic at times). Simply stating that it is the problem of the player for not reading the appropriate info is in my opinion a blanket statement, and not conducive to resolving any potential problems.

Asking around; Again, similar situation to Disco (and I apologize for the comparison), where an individual takes the time and trouble to read all( or most) of the pertinent data in order to maximize the "fun factor" in the game, only to have any inquiries rebuffed or told "I don't talk to noobs" , which leaves the new player feeling dejected or otherwise unwilling to continue in MP RP. A suggestion to alleviate this particular problem would be for in game admins ( TBH, I haven't seen any yet) to keep an eye out for new players and be proactive in offering to help out with questions or issues that may arise when a new player first logs on.

CF/Pirates RP; This IMO is abused in the extreme ( I'll try to avoid Disco references here :)). My first night on here do to pirate activity was probably the most frustrating part of my evening due to continuous bribes (once I was past level 40), or even flat out getting iced (and yes, I read which systems require permission before entering) just for exploring local systems to set up trade runs. I realize that there is a ticket system to report this, but why? TBH, given that the server population is so small, why should I potentially antagonize a lvl 70+ player who will make my the rest of my MP time on the server hell (and this is from experience, I assure you)? The issue is endemic with a percentage of the vets who populate this server, the mentality of " this is mine and why should I bother to share anything with you, especially if your going to up and leave in a few weeks anyway". I understand this particular aspect (and unfortunately, have done this myself) of a vet's perspective, but it doesn't alleviate the underlying problem at hand.

...gl on disco;

This, I must say saddened me. Instead of trying to get to the root of the problem and try to understand what the overall issue might be, and perhaps coming up with a potential series of solutions, you merely wished him on his way and the server lost a potential long term player. Do I understand your blasé attitude? of course I do. You have undoubtedly encountered more than your fair share of complaining new players in the life time of this server. However, as a new player who takes the time and trouble to read the available info, create a forum account, or even post an occasional comment or rant, seeing an Admin giving a new player some rather cryptic sentences in response to a posed question concerning fairness (which I'm sure you have been asked countless times) in such a manner demonstrates a level of callousness. To a new player, seeing that type of interaction, well, it just doesn't inspire any levels of trust in maintaining any sense of belonging to a community, more like the feeling of being an outsider who is allowed to play with the rich kids toys.

Anyway. My apologies for taking up your time to read this. Just thought I should give my particular perspective concerning this topic.

Shadow.