Greed vs. Style: Solo explorer ship choice

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ILIYAN.

• A couple of years ago there was a thread asking about people's aesthetic preferences in ships. Predictably, the aesthetics part soon got side-lined, but it was/is a very interesting and educational thread. I was reminded of it when I recently considered the relative merits of greed/acquisitiveness and style/deadliness.

Having finished the Crossfire campaign and a run through Renaissance space, I've been doing some solo itinerant trading while carrying out a more thorough and leisurely exploration of the systems in the Crossfire universe. I've been flying a fully equipped Haidar, which is--IMHO--pretty much ideal for that purpose. It's called a freighter, and it certainly has a freighter-worthy cargo hold, but it is designed to carry VHF equipment. In fact, ship dealers whom I visit seem to think that it's a VHF when they eye it as a potential trade-in. It's not the most agile ship, but it's formidable and to me it seems the perfect design for a pilot with both trading and exploration in mind, but who doesn't suffer a few misguided pirates gladly. It's not exactly the most elegant ship, either, but to me it looks exactly like what it is: a tough, large capacity freighter that can fight its way free of most problems, and make a profit while exploring. I imagine it's the kind of ship that, in a different universe, Nicholas van Rijn (one of my early role models) might have flown as a very young man. Until the Coalition-origin Haidar is more familiar in other areas, it may even be somewhat like the "Q-ships" from WW1 & WW2: it looks like a nice merchant target until pirates get close enough to see the bristling weapons...and maybe their pods end up in that capacious cargo hold.

On the other hand...the dynamic market happened to provide me with a very profitable trade run in Helios recently. Inexpensive engine components were available on Planet Eton but fetching high prices at nearby Empire Station. What's more, at the time I wasn't particularly disliked by the local criminals; possibly because I had shot down quite a few Xenos not long before. With plenty of money, and pretty much all of the gear I could want, I began considering a change of ship. With many systems still remaining to be explored in depth, and with the expectation that risks will abound, I remembered that I was quite nearby a very different sort of vessel, but one which could also be an ideal long-range exploration ship even in the more dangerous corners of the universe. The Chimera is sleek and can be very well-armed, indeed; it would be a pretty good choice for exploring even the areas where the more powerful aliens lurk. Its cargo hold is respectable for a VHF, although not the biggest among them. It's agile, good-looking, and can be quite deadly. There are similar choices available (the Coalition Saracen, for example), but to me it's hard to find a ship that looks as good as the Chimera while being as deadly and still broadly functional in a variety of roles.

So, I'm trying to decide: explore with greed or in style? Decisions, decisions...

• Apparently Chimera is one of the to-go ships in CF. So is Saracen. I have both on my secondary chars, they are nice. Saracen, IMO, looks rather nice as well.

On a more PvE-skewed advice, I'm considering the Coalition Saber. It's a middle of the road ship that has 100/100 bots/bats. It also looks sweet too, reminds me of the Mi-28 for some reason. I like to imagine that the Saber is the line fighter of the Fighter Corps, the ships the rank-and-file pilots fly, with Lagg handed out to more skilled pilots.

My own choice for a solo explorer ship (with full PvE tilt, 'cos it's p much garbage in PvP)? It's... right there in my sig. Not really recommend it. It's just I'm probably the worst combat pilot to ever grace this area of space and its peculiarities help me survive my own mistakes I might make while fighting IC aliens.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• Personally I think you can go pretty much with almost any ship for PvE. Provided that it has enough Nanobots/Shield Batteries and it's well armed as you just said. You can go both with "Style & Greed", there are quite of ships that are beautiful in design and dangerous for any NPC.

For example, in the SP campaign I took the " Geko " VHF (it's sold next with the Raptor ) because I kind have felt in love with that design, it kind of looks like an F-18 Hornet which is one of my most favorite jet fighters... but is it well equipped like the Chimera for example? Or can I use it in PvP? No... but I can still carry my two missiles ( Nemesis & Cataclysm ) and 1 Sunslayer Torpedo Launcher and it's enough to destroy any kind of NPC.

Again, when it comes to picking up ships... personally I think you should be worried about what ship you might use for PvP. If you're good enough against NPCs, there isn't really much of a choice. Just pick a fighter that you like and that is well equipped and just go for it.

As for PvP... I use the Saracen & Cayman , Saracen being my "average" PvP fighter, the Cayman when I need to overturn a heavy gunner or people that are "manipulating" some thing", also it's perfect in a massive fight due to it's speed.

=> My personal opinion

• Ajay, if you prefer lots of batteries and bots (and, I assume, a strong defense generally) I can see why you might choose the Coalition Saber over the Saracen, despite a smaller hold. I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it, but the Saber is somewhat reminiscent of the Mi-28.

Your beloved Basilisk somehow reminds me of the Orion from Privateer. From your description in the lexicon, I suspect they my have similar handling characteristics.

Iliyan, I think it's entirely reasonable to choose a ship for essentially aesthetic reasons or in any case not only objective ones. I guess the Geko does somewhat resemble an F-18, and if it has sufficient features for the uses to which you intend to put it, what's not to love?

I'm aware, for example, that the Saracen can be said to be objectively better than the Chimera, feature-wise (although I've flown both I don't recall which is more agile, though), and it's a good-looking ship, but I find the Chimera more visually appealing, It comes down to personal taste I guess, and "de gustibus non est disputandum".

I do suspect that my chances of survival in exploring Inner Core systems would be better in a Chimera or Saracen than in my trusty Haidar, though.

• Exactly! ;)

But if you're really going to the Core, you need a lot of firepower. So my suggestion is to take the Chimera, it's an amazing fighter indeed, beautiful design, strong armor, agile and very deadly. Not to mention that it has 3 slots for CDs/Torps, I think the Chimera is the perfect choice for PvE. I did try it in PvP, but this ship is simply not for me in that area...though some people are like masters with that fighter. My ships for both PvP & PvE are still the Saracen & Cayman, which means that I have no issues of going on an NPC hunt with my PvP fighters.

However, if I am going "full PvE", the Chimera is really a great choice. I even might take the Predator, one of my old time favorite fighters... very nice design and the guns are placed in such a place that if you put guns with the fastest Refire Rate (for example - the Coalition Gattlings) the effect is just... priceless. Yeah, the fighter still have 4 gun slots, but the thing with the Predator is where the gun slots are located... which is one of the reasons I love that fighter (apart from the design).

Another of my old fighters is the Shroud, still one of the most beautiful fighters I've ever seen, it has 3 slots like the Chimera, agile, strong... it's perfect. Reminds me of the times I used to steal that fighter from one of my old clans (CFPD) when I used to be a troublemaker in the server... eeh youth :D , but that's a story for another day haha.

Anyway, you cannot go wrong with either... just make sure that you have a lot of firepower, a fighter with strong armor, enough slots and agile enough to dodge a lot of the aliens guns and you're good to go.

I can't recall if you are able to reload the ammo in the Core though... so don't mount the same Missiles & Torpedos... meaning if you mount 2 Nemesis & 2 Sunslayers it'll take as twice as ammo (2 for each instead of 1 for each), so 1 Nemesis / 1 Cataclysm / 1 Sunslayer / 1 Starkiller (optional) and pretty much you are good to go. My favorite guns are still the Coalition Gattlings though, but you have a lot of choices in that area too.

Have fun! ;)

• Iliyan, I believe that's good advice about IC exploration ships.

I haven't tried the Cayman, although I gather that it's liked for its speed and agility, so when I finally attempt MP (and thus PvP), maybe I'll give it a try.

I'm curious about what leads you--or anybody who's reading and would like to jump in with an opinion--to prefer the Saracen to the Chimera. The Saracen has more cargo space, armor, and bats/bots; the Chimera has a sleeker, less utilitarian look, but they handle very similarly IIRC. Is there anything other than aesthetics that would sell the Chimera over the Saracen? Presumably a preference for the Saracen is a ;logical/analytical choice? I'm probably not a good enough pilot to recognize a subtle difference in handling, although a significant one is a different story.

That Shroud is a good-looking ship, and I'll give it a try one of these days. It reminds me somewhat of the Dralthi, the Kilrathi medium fighter from

wing Commander and Privateer. The Shroud is designed more sensibly, though, IMO: the Dralthi looked cool but those distinctive wings were flat rather than down-curved like the Shroud's, giving the Dralthi an unusual near-saucer shape...but obscuring the pilot's side vision pretty severely.

Thanks for the advice about the missiles and torpedoes, too. I own at least two each of the Nemesis, Cataclysm, and Sunslayer launchers, but have been using one each of the missile types for no special reason, since their damage is similar. The numbers for refilling missiles and torpedoes do seem a bit odd when you have two of the same launcher equipped, so I'll have to experiment a bit to see whether I should replace one of the Sunslayers with a Starkiller, despite a rather large damage difference (quite a difference in ammo price, too, IIRC).

As for replenishing ammo in the core, I don't recall because I haven't hung around in there for very long so far. I do know that, for whatever reason, you need to go to Sirius (and maybe Sol?) to buy Nemesis or Cataclysm missile reloads, at least if you're in Coalition space where neither are sold.

I'll have to check for missile reload availability the next time I'm in Renaissance space, too.

• For IC ... try Iguana ... I didn't found other ship which can be regularly used for high lvl missions in the Altair Sector ... missions against coalition rogues are imo ultimate test (how difficult is hit the ship with guns) ... if you can surivive these missions, you can be sure that you will be able defend against the 'dooms' in IC. I mean this as solo operations in IC, in wing (even in two with some practice) you can use practically every decent VHF. Iguana if properly piloted is ('can be', could be more correct) practically non-hitable with guns ...

• Is there anything other than aesthetics that would sell the Chimera over the Saracen? Presumably a preference for the Saracen is a ;logical/analytical choice? I'm probably not a good enough pilot to recognize a subtle difference in handling, although a significant one is a different story

Mmmm... not really. The Saracen is one of my most favorite ships that's why it's my PvP Fighter for all of these years (so far) because it has everything... Design, Armor, Agility and when you put the 4 Coalition Gattling guns on it... it's a beast. And just because it has everything, I can use it for PvE as well, not just PvP.

The Chimera is pretty much the same... as far as which one is faster, I think it depends on the pilot. Although when I tried the Chimera in PvP, I am slower with it than with my lovely Saracen, but some people are really fast with the Chimera and it amazes me how they handle that fighter... so I think it depends entirely on the pilot in this case.

At the end of the day, I think you should just try these fighters out and decide for yourself. Because even some top PvP fighters (Spiky) used the Eagle and we all know that the Eagle is 'obsolete', yet he is one of the top PvP fighters here.

Yes, some ships are faster, have more armor... but even if you're with the most agile fighter and a better pilot than you is with a slower one, doesn't mean that you'll win, so it all depends on the pilot.

Currently, the fighters which are used for PvP are these:
    - Saracen
    - Chimera
    - Cayman

Back in the day (as far back as in 1.7v):
    - Saracen (1.7v - 2.0v)
    - Saber (1.7v)
    - Lagg (1.7v)
    - Shroud (1.6v - 1.7v)
    - Predator (1.6v - 1.7v)
    - Chimera (1.9v - 2.0v)
    - Cayman (1.9v - 2.0v)
    - Persephone (1.8v - 1.82v -> basically the old version of the current Cayman)
    - Eagle (1.6v - 1.9v, used mostly by Spiky)
    - Thanatos (1.82v - 1.9v, probably because it has 6 gun slots, but it's not as agile as the other fighters)

(These are my observations ever since I joined the server back in 2005/2006)

Yes, there are exceptions because not all of the people were using these fighters, but these were the most used in PvP. Yet, all of these fighters even though that they were used in PvP, you can do perfectly with them in PvE as well.

What I am trying to say is... it depends on the pilot. You don't need the most agile ship in order to survive whatever or whomever comes at you.

If you go with the Saracen, you'll do perfectly. If you go with the Chimera, you'll do perfectly as well. Even if you go with the old school fighters (Predator / Shroud / Saber), you'll do great as well. So, personally... I think you should try them all out and decide with which one to go on and which fighter might end up as your personal favorite. :)

Just because we use them for PvP, doesn't mean that you can't use them for PvE as well, because the NPCs aren't as 'agile' as us the humans or fight like us... so even if you're with a slow fighter (in agility), you'll do just fine if you use basic maneuvers and attacks. So I think you should try them all out and decide for yourself.

PS: Sorry if I went a little Off Topic (with the PvP subject, because I know that you're asking about the PvE)

Edited once, last by ILIYAN ().

• Thanks for the information and advice, Iliyan!

Even though I was indeed originally interested in opinions about SP (and thus PvE) exploration vessel choices, I am also very interested in PvP, in which I hope to become involved at some not-so-distant future date. So your take on it is in fact very valuable to me, as are the opinions of the others.

I find that neither my reaction time nor my own agility are what they used to be back in the days that I used to play, say, the Wing Commander series, or even when Freelancer first came out. Currently I'm also temporarily unable to use my desktop PC--or my desk, for that matter--so I have to use a laptop that's starting to show its age. What I'm attempting to do now is to improve my piloting skills in SP to make it at least possible to attempt a debut on the server without making a fool of myself.

Thus the PvP oriented advice/opinions are also valuable to me.

BTW...I wonder if anyone else misses the days when space flight simulators were played with joysticks rather than mice. :)

• Thank you, Balefire, I appreciate it and I am glad to help out in any way I can. :)

Regarding the PvP aspect, you don't have to be skilled in order to play in the server. Granted, there might be some pirates who'd take an advantage of new players, but there's also the police to protect. Not to mention that by the time you get to engage in RP you'll already be skilled enough and in case you need help to get started, we are all here to help.

But yes, there's nothing wrong to get to know the SP aspect before jumping into the server :) , you'll also get to experiment with different ships, its upgrades and get to know all of the systems as well, so... whenever you are ready, we are here to help you with the MP as well.