BS Missile Turrets

There are 16 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Titan_addict.

• [677] [22]

:D ;D

LiNk1N P/\Rk 4EVER

Dont Drink And Drive....Smoke And Fly!

Play the game and enjoy, you might die tomorrow

• LOL that looks to me like a "NO"....

And as far as I know there are no missile turrets

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers
    For he, today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother...

• No there arent such. Well not exactly. No in the way you probably imagine them. Flak Turrets are the missile turrets. Simple tests proves it that this weapon is more like a missile than a gun:

1) if you fire with a flak turret at station it will go hostile instantly (if the bullet hit it) - the weapon dont do that much damage to get base hostile from oen hit but it happens. Same is if you fire with missiles or torps against base.

2) the bullet fired by the Flak Turret have hull like missiles and torps

3) if you activate the Turrets to fire with left mouse button as Defense turrets you would notice that Flaks fire only once while guns keep refiring - same will happend with missiles and torps

4) info card shows that Flaks have turn rate

I still cant see the point of Flaks cause they dont lock on targets. Each time you fire with them the result is changing - sometimes they wait a little at one place then move or sometimes they never move just blow right in your ship. I guess that is cause those guns dotn have moddel of the gun or the hardpoints are not on the surface of the ship but little bit inside.

• I'd think they'd be effective if three things would be to happen: first, that the hardpoints be moved so that the munitions don't "stick" to the BS hull (which about 80% of them do with an advanced turret). Also, the damage is far too low. The former missiles may have been no more than Catapults, or something along those lines. The damage should be at least quadrupled to make the weapon as dangerous to VHFs and the missile turrets were to low-end NPCs. Lastly, it would be great if the turrets, being such, could me made fully-automated like the rest of the turrets. I don't mind clicking the mouse for every shot all that much, but it gets old really fast and probably isn't all that good for the mouse ^^. Anyway, my thoughts on the matter :D.

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• I think that there is an un-paired situation of fire power between actual VHFs and Cruisers or BSs, cause a VHF can easily, if wisely used, finish a cruiser.

Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

{LP}Amos and derivatives; {LP}Ivanov{X} from the Altair branch of LP

Originally posted by Inferno
    hehe, turret fireing a missile

good joke

Believe it if you want, its not my problem but what is written from me above are tested things :tongue:

• Guns can fire just about anything in RL. Bullets, flak rounds, SAMs, rockets, and even nuclear weapons (yeah, silly US Army :D). They're all technologies, but don't really have ti make sense. Likewise, BS turrets fire flak rounds that act like missiles out of their barrels. Rofl, if you want a rationalization, I'd be more that happy to spam one up :D. The concept it most closely follows would be like a TOW weapon, but why that would evolve into a weapon on a BS I have no flipping idea, hehehe. Games are fun like that :P.

@ Amhos: The ships on the mod are unbalanced in this way. BS need to have either more turrets or more powerful guns, cruiser/destroyers need either few turrets, less manueverability, or weaker turrets, and all around a capitol ships needs to be able to pawn a VHF (turret turn rate really needs to go up). Imagine if you will a Hind helicopter sinking a cruiser with its guns or a Swordfish biplane torpedoing the Yamato into submission. These are unrealistic things, and it's a complex problem. If these ships are made as good as they're supposed to be, naturally everyone will want one. The trick is to balance VHFs and capships just right between realistic superiority and (motivation for) ship diversity from complete inferiority. Nasty problem, eh? :D

Originally posted by Marshal Cunningham
    Imagine if you will a Hind helicopter sinking a cruiser with its guns or a Swordfish biplane torpedoing the Yamato into submission

;)

Actually there is helicopter deployable anti shipping missiles and in WW2 it was bi plane torpedo bombers that crippled the Bismarck so the British fleet could catch her

• I think he has some already [13] :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers
    For he, today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother...

• In addition to justification in real life, there is precedent in the fictional background of the Starlancer universe for cap ships with missile turrets.
    Before Chris Roberts left EA and signed with Microsoft, he was the creative force behind the popular Wing Commander series. In WC Prophecy, all the alien cap ships had regular turrets which fired laser rounds and missile turrets. The WC cap ships were more realistic because a fighter could NOT disable a cap ship. To take down a cap ship, you had to

1) destroy its shield generator
    2) disable enough turrets for the bombers to gain safe access to deliver torpedoes, and
    3) disable the bridge AND engines.
    Although fighters could disable shield generators and turrets, only bombers could disable the bridge or engines (using torpedo's or an uber gun that only came on the heaviest bomber).

It's kind of irrelevent because WCP had no multiplayer element and Crossfire is an offshoot of FL, not WC. But plenty of the names of ships and planets come from the WC universe, so it's not totally irrelvent, as spam goes.
    Call it Spam Lite. :D

• @ DS: I'm completely aware, but the Bismark was disabled by multiple Swordfish, not a solo one, and the helicopter I was making reference to was a sort of gunship and anti-tank vehicle. ...and a railgun would be good enough for me, thank you very much :P.

titan: Prophecy probably had the most realistic fighter vs. capship scenarios I've yet seen. Though Prophecy is much different than FL, one must keep in mind that Chris Roberts' WC Privateer was the game FL was striving to imitate and expand upon. (btw, those missile turrets actually packed a punch, and it was pretty hard comparatively to avoid them).

Nevertheless, it's really not such a big deal. The capships are fine the way they are I suppose as long as you don't dwell on the PvP or disgruntled tendency not to dock with things properly. I don't see how any of it was spam though. I'm on topic (vaguely) and as the flak turrets don't seem very effective, having decent missile turrets (rounds are fast-locking, and very hard to shake), would very much balance them out with other ship classes.

Originally posted by Marshal Cunningham
    I'm on topic (vaguely) and as the flak turrets don't seem very effective, having decent missile turrets (rounds are fast-locking, and very hard to shake), would very much balance them out with other ship classes.

Firestalker turrets perhaps? :P :D
    Alternatively flak turrets could be replaced with lighter, high-refire rate turrets, that do little damage per individual hit but are optimised for targetting fast-moving objects (such as fighters :D). Of course things like fast turn-rate, and a high weapon-projectile velocity would be needed or the turrets would be pointless....

• Speaking of Wing Commander, one of the weapons I'd like to have from that game (that was also used in SL) is a "dumb" high velocity, high payload missile. I haven't played WC in years now, so I forget the name of it. I think they were screamers in SL. But those would be fun for targetting cap ships or gunboats.