Sliding around Hovis' race course in Single Player

There are 20 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Oldgit.

• The other day I posted a request for information regarding "sliding" as referred to in another thread as a solution for getting through Hovis' track with a freighter. It seems to have been eaten by binary gremlins. I don't know whether the practice of "sliding" is a cheat or not, so presuming it is not, could someone please explain it to me? I have a Bullpup Mark 3 and my vanilla thrusters don't seem to be up to the task.

Many thanks, MM

• Heh, LOL .. it was quite some fun beat Hovis in Clydesdale :D ...video will be uploaded soon :)

• Cool if you did it in CF its a triumph m8 cause its definitely not easy... :) :)

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• keep your eye on the next gate is key :)
    but the Bullpup MK III is not possible, it will not take the corners, it just keeps drifting around the ring.
    i tried so meny times, but it was always the same
    i got a lot better, but the last bit was just impossible.

• Thing is, that player should not have bullpup ship at that storyline time. I always recommended to anyone, to do not go into areas which will be revealed later in campaign. Bullpup mk III can (and will) have more problems with story progress.

• Instant 13.7M to MF's Account by Denne ^^

Best I could ever win in CF2.0 was a titan but its not the same

Never Fear! Lucifer is here!
    |DP|Lucifer, the ultimate engine of destruction is at your in-game disposal for a small fee of credits!
    whether it is to sniff out a dodgy cop, to track smuggler's, or even to destroy a pirate or freelance Mercenary

The choice is in your hands!
    Contact |DP|Lucifer in-game for any help related to above
    The charges may vary with his mind, but it will be no doubt a small fee for our troubles.

Contact him today!

:tot:

• Thank you very much Ringotwin, Martind Forlan, DeepSilver and OrdRaydenMK, for replying so quickly. I really appreciate it. And Martind, I found the vid very helpful. I think what I'd do next is see if I can make it to Hokkaido and back with a pair of advanced Hydroxin thrusters (if they exist in the SP game) and try it again. Failing that I'll take your advice Martind and advance one of my saved games with a vanilla ship. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers, MM

• Adv Hydroxin do exist in MP
    However Sup.Hydroxin is only available to Clan members on MP

|DP|Lucifer, the ultimate engine of destruction is at your in-game disposal for a small fee of credits!
    whether it is to sniff out a dodgy cop, to track smuggler's, or even to destroy a pirate or freelance Mercenary

The charges may vary with his mind, but it will be no doubt a small fee for our troubles.

Contact him today!

• I think what I'd do next is see if I can make it to Hokkaido and back with a pair of advanced Hydroxin thrusters (if they exist in the SP game) and try it again.

These thrusters will do "0" difference, bcs in cruise they behave similar. I did this video above with heavy thrusters only. Main trick for this race is "pause" cruise (using reverse speed key) like I mentioned in another thread in circa 3/4 of race when there are two gates in very short distance and bad angle ... in video (around 1:50 time) I paused them too late to do it "good", but it was enough for win.

• just keep your eye on the next gate.
    when your coming up to the gate, have the next one lined up.
    go wide, and sweep or cut in.
    start taking the ring before you get to it.
    meaning start turning before you get to it.
    be smooth when turning, or you could hit one
    not to fast or to slow
    if you do this. it's not likely you'l hit a ring. :thumbsup:

• Nice Job M8 :) just watched the Video :)

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• What great responses; LordRaydenMK, SilverFox, Martind Forlan and RingoTwin thank you for contributing;

Well, I fought my way to Ainu Station in Hokkaido, picked up a pair of advanced Hydroxin thrusters, fought my way back and (Martind is correct) they made no appreciable difference. I wasn't aware of our ability to "pause" our cruise engines. I will have to try that, especially for those back to back gates. I tried it without weight reduction, without guns and with different thrusters; all to no avail. I traded in my beloved Bullpup MkIII for a Crusader HF but in truth; they felt the same. Then I got a Cavalier LF and my luck changed a bit. However, I seem to be just that little bit off, that caused me not to miss gates so much as hit them. I spent over an hour yesterday on the track and the best I could do was once losing to Hovis when I was on his bumper, and twice leading Hovis is the back stretch only to be fast forwarded to "you loose" cut scene. I don't know what happened there. After 70 minutes on the course, my wife let me know I was swearing loudly and often so I gave it a rest and worked MP for a bit. (Much more relaxing)

SilverFox, thank you for the link and race strategy. I will review the combat guides and have printed your advice. I shall endeavour to practice what you preach until I prevail. If only I could kill Hovis afterward, that would be very satisfying.

Cudos to all, MM

• Well there was this one time, where I picked up a Sabre in Custodian before I did the hunt for Ashcroft. The Sabre is a well enough ship to race in, Really good, I don't think I've ever lost a race to Hovis in that ship.

Maybe if you'd like, you could go back and pick the sabre instead. The appropriate time would be before the Ashcroft mission.

Contact him today!

• Rofl about loud swearing :D ... that reminded me some moments quite well :D ... I suggest give MP priority a bit and get used to flying with chosen ship. At some moment you will improve significantly without even noticing it, and you will with surprise see that beat Hovis was easy.

• Thank you Martind Forlan and LordRaydenMK;

The Sabre has been my ship of choice for many years, as a matter of fact I was flying one in MP until later last night when I traded it in for a freighter. Once I beat Hovis with the LF (to know how), I will try a HF and then the ships I would prefer to fight in, such as the Sabre and the Bullpup. Thanks guys.

MM

• The Sabre was my ship of choice for a long time m8. But if you want a non expensive choice to take you around at the beginning even all the way if you want Planet Blood quickest and closest rep allowing if not there are other locations next in mind if rep allows is Nephele Bundshu Base at the end of the trade lane upon entering the sector from X and get yourself the Black Eagle it's a new config on the old Eagle it won't drop its shield if you need to eject insignificant cargo to pick up pods and it won't lose its wings in a fight and its agile.

Good luck and good flying you are going to have tons of choices as far as ships and you can fly them all.

• Well, I made it through the race course in the Cavalier LF. I tried it again in a Crusader HF and then the BullpupMk3 but bombed on both. I settled on advancing the game with the Cavalier. I made my way back to the Custodian system only to find that my associations with the Outcasts, Junkers, GC's and Blood Dragons made it damn near impossible to get out. I bought a BullpupMk3, a Titan, a Sabre and a Black Eagle; and could only escape Custodian with the Black Eagle. So now I'm in Kusari space with the Black Eagle, riding in style.

Thanks to all for your counsel and sharing your experiences with me. MM