Jump Gates/Holes/Stations visible through clouds/fog/smoke.

There are 14 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Hrvoje Umic Elogar.

• This is what I see in Vanilla FL when I finish my jump into the Badlands:

This is what I see in CF 2.0 FL when I finish my jump into the Badlands:

This is a problem for me, why can I see through the cloud(s)?
    Is there any way to change the opacity of the clouds or replace them completely with the Vanilla FL ones?
    In Vanilla FL I liked the feeling that I got when I was flying through those thick and mysterious gas/fog clouds, it felt like I was exploring something unknown and dangerous, in CF 2.0 FL, I don't get that feeling.
    I see everything through whatever cloud I am flying in - Ships, Stations, Jump Gates, Jump Holes(especially Jump Holes), Wrecks, everything, there is no sense of exploration anymore, it ruins the immersion!
    I welcome any advice in solving this problem, from the freshest modder to R8R himself.

EDIT: Stuff answered.

Edited 3 times, last by Zanec ().

• the way how clouds look like is absolutely intentional and realistic (no nebula is popping up like in vanilla FL)

the visibility depends on how big the nebula is and your position in it.
    objects in large nebulas or behind them are usually not visible while small nebulas or objects which are close to you are visibile since not enough dust particles hide these objects

an object 12k away is almost in scanner and docking range so its just logical to be visible

there is nothing you can do to change that (at least not without damaging the mod and its look)
    next to that is it not allowed to edit the mod without permission

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I can see nearly everything through whatever nebulas, Jump Holes are visible from half a sector away, nebula or not(because a bright speck against the background that sometimes moves and doesn't look anything like a star is not visible at all, amirite?).
    It really doesn't matter for me if it is realistic or not, it just strips away the feeling of exploration which is what I loved in the original FL.
    And about scanner range, thats another thing which I liked in the original game, you had to keep an eye on your scanner, not your screen, lest you miss something!

I can play with Vanilla FL graphics easily, don't really care about how the game looks, I just want CF content without CF graphics if that is the case then. I've got nothing against damaging the looks of the game.
    If that also requires modding CF then I am also asking permission right now.

Edited once, last by Zanec ().

• Hi. Zanec
    Why not just go into the game settings and adjust the graphics details until you find a combination you like.
    For myself I like the way CF is.
    When you get into the larger sectors you don't see everything........ it is great to be able to spot something with your own eyes far in the distance and then fly towards it to investigate.
    You can adjust details and fly in black space if you want .... monochrome or just a bit forward on the sliding bar to add a bit of colour.

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• Hi. Zanec
    Why not just go into the game settings and adjust the graphics details until you find a combination you like.
    For myself I like the way CF is.
    When you get into the larger sectors you don't see everything........ it is great to be able to spot something with your own eyes far in the distance and then fly towards it to investigate.
    You can adjust details and fly in black space if you want .... monochrome or just a bit forward on the sliding bar to add a bit of colour.

I am not sure if you actually read or if you did read then if you actually understood what I meant.
    And to be honest, no, no it is not so great to see something in the distance and go to investigate when all the things that you do see have the same model and you already know what they are, in other words - nothing to investigate.

• Look m8 I know exactly what u are saying I have done what u were talking about played single player for years before going on line
    Done every mod you can think of played combos you should not even try and put together.... sometimes they worked and it was fun to explore
    CF is a great mod its fun to play but it has allways been different to other mods
    Play it if u like it .... if u don't like some of it no reason u can't still have some fun playing
    Anyway luck to u maybe it just not going to work for u
    There are tons of other mods out there. See u in space sometime
    Hope u hang around CF and get some enjoyment in some way.

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• 99.99% of all the players seem to like the way how the mod looks and appreciate all the time and work that we have invested to make it look like this.
    Crossfire was published the way it is and I see absolutely no reason to change that.
    Crossfire also was published with a binding license agreement that protects our work and also the other players.

This means you are not allowed to edit the mod. We are also not giving you any permissions to do edits.
    Some of the most important reasons have recently been explained here: CF2.0: Changes to constants.ini file

Overwriting the files with vanilla versions will not only cause graphical bugs in vanilla system (the majority of systems wouldnt be changed at all) but would also cause instabilities, crashes and other bugs.
    Trying to edit the files manually would require to compare almost 600 files in order to restore the original settings.

Next to that would the integrated anticheat clearly notice such changes and do its job in background.

If thats your choice... well... Im only giving support for intact copies of my mod... so for me this discussion is over.

My final comment:
    If you want to play Crossfire then play it the way it is.
    If you want it to look like vanilla FL then play vanilla FL.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• It is an intact copy, I haven't changed anything, yet.
    I also appreciate the way it looks, however, I play the game because it is fun, not because it is pretty to look at, graphical fidelity is just a bonus to any game I play, not something I need.
    Plus, I don't need every setting restored to Vanilla, just whatever is used for the nebulae.

Edited 2 times, last by Zanec ().

• You claim to exactly know what I am saying and yet what you posted before helps me in no way(either because I have already tried it or because changing those settings wouldn't achieve what I want to change).
    And we probably will not be seeing each other, I don't play MP.

Edited once, last by Zanec ().

• he tried to offer an alternative solution
    that you dont like it is not his fault

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• he tried to offer an alternative solution
    that you dont like it is not his fault

That is not something I would call an alternative, but ok.
    Oh, and a heads-up about it being an alternative instead of a direct solution to my problem(as he claimed to know exactly what I was talking about...) would have been nice.

• ZANEC
    It is an intact copy, I haven't changed anything, yet.
    I also appreciate the way it looks, however, I play the game because it is fun, not because it is pretty to look at, graphical fidelity is just a bonus to any game I play, not something I need.
    Plus, I don't need every setting restored to Vanilla, just whatever is used for the nebulae.

The game is more than fun, and as regards beauty, easy to adapt, accept and enjoy.

Crossfire mode is more than a game. Encourages responsibility, teaches us patience and control, understanding and gives knowledge, inspire learning.
    Thank you to the whole team for their effort and idea.

Hrvoje Umic Stoklasa aka ELOGAR