Asp Explorer

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• Thats my current ship with its current loadout.

The ASP of course can do larger jumps if less heavy equipment is mounted but I personally prefer this heavy loadout since dislike running from a fight.

It would be possible to increase the shield capacity even more buy using a A6 shield but I personally think that this is not required. Next to that would it cost me valueable cargo space which i seriously need for smuggling.

Also a different armor could be used but personally im not sure which one makes more sense. It certainly depends on what other ships you are fighting with and which kinds of weapons they use. Mirrored armor is good against lasers (75% protection laser, 25% protection cannons), reactive armor is good against cannons (25% protection laser, 75% protection cannons). The military armor has a 50%/50% protection which right now appears to be the best choice since I encountered many ships using both types of weapons (eventhough more seem to use lasers, while cannons of course do alot more hull damage).

Next to the A rated components (best quality) I have a good amount of cargo racks, the largest fuel tank for that ship (default equipment). A fuel scoop which I didnt need so far since the jump range is pretty good. And a landing computer which i consider a luxury item that allows me to take a break and google a bit while the ship is docking (however, the chances to get scanned on large stations are higher when you dock automatically - thats why I usually activate it after passing the blue force field.

Having 2 medium beam lasers turned out to be the power efficient way to mount weapons. Using 4 small beam lasers would deal about the same amount of damage while using alot more energy. Using 4 gattlings (multicannons) however is also very power efficient, especially when you run low on power (then you can switch to 2nd fire mode until the energy is restored). It is not only a power efficient setup... it also saves you alot of ammo since in most cases you dont really need your cannons.

When it comes to utility mounts there are probably countless of different setups which all are right. However I have decided to use 2 point defense turrets on this ship which destroy incoming missiles. The first of them is mounted on top of the fore region of the ship... the other is mounted on the rear hardpoint below the ship. This way I can cover a true 360° area around my ship. The other ultility slots are used for a shield booster and a chaff launcher (which disturbs enemy gimballed weapons and turrets in range).

Different internal components and loadouts on the utility slots are of course possible ... especialy when you do special jobs such as bounty hunting or mining.

This here is a high-end multipurpose setup for the ASP. Pretty expensive but also pretty useful in nearly every situation.

Compared to the cobra which clearly remains a good multi-purpose ship the ASP is a bit slower, bigger, heavier and clearly alot more expensive. In my eyes its still worth its money since all other stats are better. It is perfect for trading, exploration, doing missions and also shows a fairly good performance in combat. You just should not die with it as the insurance costs are... well... umm ... yeah, just dont die in it. I guess the insurance costs are actually no problem since the income seems to increase with time.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Edited once, last by Martind Forlon ().

• One additional note:
    In Elite you can get discounts on ships and equipment if you are friendly to certain factions or if you are in the right location. Some stations sell ships and equipment with up to 20% discount.
    I got my ASP and its equipment with a 15% discount.
    Considering the 36,8mio worth I saved 5.5 mio credits (and the ASP is compared to other ships relative cheap).

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Nice info this above, thx! Link below can help with actually working places for discounts.

Active Discounts thread

• i found another site a few days ago which keeps track of various thing as seems to be up-to-date.

Extra *plus* for the Firefly / Serenity reminiscence it site-name :D

INARA - Elite:Dangerous companion

Edit: Here is my ASP: http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/….Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=ASP - Mole
    AS OP already wrote, there are a lotof possible and useful layouts. This one is for running from CMDRs and fighting NPCs. The low mass makes it a bit more nimble (if you can say that for an Asp), but if shield goes down, you better fall silent and run. Scanner and fuel-limpets are for my part-time hobby: saving stranded CMDRs (The Rat Cave | Where The Mischief Never Sleeps)

Edited once, last by Moorhuhn ().

• After some thinking I decided change my cobra_ for ASP and I need to say that it is really a nice spaceship (even if this behave like a slow behemoth compared with agile DBS :) ). Because I like do mining, I had some experience in this area already, and with an ASP it make really a nice profit roughly 1-1,5M per one mining run (which is only simple short travel from system with pristine resources and high-tech system). My actual setup is here, for full setup will need to add 10M.

What is imo one other from strong sides for ASP is energy amount and how quick it restore with 4pips ... 3 mining lasers can fire almost constantly and duration for 2 ginballed beam lasers is great - killed poor npc pirate in Cobra in one pass.

Downsides for this ship are big 'inertia' and mainly slow speed ... if things will go wrong then try escape to SC or higwake to another system.

• Here is link for ASP with features coming in 2.0 (Hull Reinforcement Packages): http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/25A5A5A4C4A5A5C1a1a1i1i1i1i000404034g5i2929290153.Iw18QDClA===.CwBhrSpAmBmMMmmEA===?bn=Forlon%27s ASP - combat and setup which I currently use for fighting.

Pulses save alot energy (compared with beam lasers) which allows you much more effective energy usage. Canons have much less ammo as multi-cannons, but you can inflict heavy damage in one-pass at short distances also in case when target use chaff. Against small targets, when you not have much time for aim, they work much better. Next to this, to my big surprise, is ASP also very good for "ramming" (in setup which I use) ... hit small ship with pulses, canons (shield is going off) and then ram to it, fight ends - PvE. PvP - it was not planned "hit" when I tried fight BoldMole in his nimble DBS, but he went from 100 to 17% hull. Ramming worked good also on bigger ships (PvE) as tested against few Dropships, Pythons in HazRES which were destroyed much quicker as I expected (not mentioning it saved canons ammo).