WINDOWS 10

There are 30 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by RonaldoDaVinci.

• Many users of win 7sp1 and win 8.1 might have registered a 'new' icon on their taskbar, offering them a feeless upgrade of their OS to windows 10.
    Wondering what kind of spam, virus, trojan or else I might have captured I did a 'lil search on the web : It seems to be real and no malware (whatever you might think of windows itself :P )

Seems we get another OS with questiionable compatibility to Crossfire .... or not ?

1st
    Windows 10 will be released on 29th of JULY and not before, so no comments on it (generally and according CF) are possible yet. Up to date only previews and tech-builds were available for testers (what I am not ! ... have to rely on others esp. professionals like Game Star, PC Hardware and others)
    2nd
    You only can reserve such an upgrade using this unasked installed 'lil app on your computer. You don't get nothing yet.
    3rd
    More or less directly you're asked to check if your computer is eligible for win 10 at all => Microsoft has a free hand to check all of your actual hardware AND probably (most likely) your software installed. MS get everything ... they wanna know of you.

I don't know much about win 10 yet. Only that the builds tested yet dig quite deep into your system, esp. including your security/antivirus software and set-up, that can/might/will be changed by such an installation/upgrade by microsoft itself ... with questionable control of this process by you.

From the reviews I've seen so far, win 10 seems to be an optically changed version of win 8.1 with a real working start menue, that rly owns this name. Some slight speed enhancements on starting are also reported, compared to win 8.1 and even slighter to win 7. Otherwise it seems to be ... win 8.1.

Any other opinions/notes/perhaps even knowledge on win 10 are highly appreciated.

IMO this unwanted app has mainly one function :
    to 'spy on your hardware, eventually software for usage out of your control by microsoft.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• cant tell about that app

regarding win 10 ... well I could have tested it but passed this chance due to the lack of time
    However a friend tested it on tablet and PC and was very satisfied with it.

You get a more functional win 8 thats compatible with all platforms.... which means that apps certainly are easier to develop and share.
    You get a pretty fast system (win 8 already had performance benefits over win 7) and you probably get a more functional desktop.
    New are the voice control function and the directX12 support.

Voice control certainly is something nice for ppl that like to talk to machines (i dont belong to these kind of people... but I wouldnt downrate this feature due to my personal preferences).
    Most interesting in my eyes are the performance boosts in win and the DX12.

DX12 also works on DX11 cards (certainly not all features but downgraded versions, dunno).
    Most remarkable is that the dx12 code has been cleaned and improved which will massively improve the game performance.
    Ive read about tests the performance under Dx12 increased by up to 150%.

Im still on win 7. Despite the fact that win 8 has better performance than win 7 i never bothered to upgrade because I need a PC where I can actually work on instead of clicking through shiny apps. But I guess Ill give Win10 a try someday.

I personally doubt that old games can not be played anymore. FL is DX9 and many current game titles are still released under dx9. In my eyes nothing to worry about.

Just like many others I am a bit sceptical about the free win10. A company always aims for making profits... giving out something for free is weird. Only logical reasons i can imagine is that Microsoft wants users to switch over to win10 so the support for older version can end and costs for such a support gets minimized OR/AND that MS will focus more on selling APPS for Win10.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Maybe this: CF2.0 works on Windows 10 Technical Preview allows little optimistic look on chances play CF on Win 10 :)

• "There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• There should be seen different way 'technical preview' and 'released system'.

• dieses Update ist schon bekannt seit es 8.1 gibt und beim kauf von 8.1 wurde schon informiert das man es auf 10 updaten kann wenn es da ist

und ausspioniert wird man mit jeder Software mittlerweile

Big brother is watching you !

• Windows 10 will be free for the first year. However, after the year is up, there will be charges depending on what Windows 10 version it is.What these charges will be is not yet known, but it could be a reduced buying price or something along that line. It will not be subscription based, that's known so far. This will happening with the next Windows version.

• THX @Crusader that is an important bit of info.

This would mean, if I 'upgrade' from the win7 prof I have now, I will get a bill from microsoft in a years time ... when I would have still my win7 prof WITHOUT any additional fees, if I don't do this upgrade. ....

Edit by
    by APE

The german microsoft site states :

Ja! Das Upgrade auf Windows 10 ist für unterstützte Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 Update und Windows Phone 8.1-Geräte kostenlos. Das kostenlose Upgrade ist ab der Veröffentlichung von Windows 10 für ein Jahr verfügbar und anschließend können Sie Windows 10 frei genießen.

Means :
    ... The free of charge update is available for one year after the release of windows 10 and after that you can enjoy w1ndows 10 for free.

?( Is there something different stated on the neglish site ??

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

Edited once, last by APE ().

• No, it says the same thing. If you use the icon in the sys tray and subscribe for Win 10 update/upgrade, it will be free for you to use forever. Win 10 is the last Windows OS. Something different after that. They didn't say what though. If you don't get the update/upgrade during the first year (allowing a year due to time it will take to have it avail to all that want it during that time) it will cost you 150 USD. Case in point, I didn't get the Icon in the sys tray until two days after you guys had it.

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• As far as I understand: if you upgrade from Windows 7/8.0/8.1 to Windows 10, it will be free of charge (even there will be some updates later). But this is only for first year. Of course you have to pay for Win 10 when you buy it "fresh" from Media-Markt/Saturn/Amazon, etc.. :-)

If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen! :-)

• THX guys, clears things a bit ... regarding a decision of my own ^^

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• There is just one question that arised for me from this thread.
    If windows 10 will be the last windows version.... then what comes next?
    Doors?

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• This link better explains the comment about "the last window": Why Microsoft is calling Windows 10 'the last version of Windows' | The Verge

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• ...... so, sounds like more often, smaller (or not so small) updates to "the windows" and its ... components/apps.

Only way I can think of atm, how they will get their money then : at some point you have to subscibe to microsoft windows for these updates, like a "pay-to-play" game .... only for the 'apps' (browser, X-box stuff, media player, ...) or for the OS itself too ?

Don't think I like this idea ...

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• that works only so long until the OS core requires larger updates

fortunatly this happened so far actually only once -> the step between 32bit and 64bit

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• how they will get their money then

Simple:
    No. 1: word-of-mouth advertising
    No. 2: offer for free upgrade is only one year.
    No. 3: if you don't upgrade you will pay a lot of money when you buy OS.
    No. 4: if you use XP, Vista, OS X or Linux you can't upgrade for free.

If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen! :-)