Profit vs. Ownership

There is 1 reply in this Thread. The last Post () by Marauder.

• When the software industry started the "Cloud" concept, they were looking at profits. If you own a piece of "Cloud-based" software, you will never have a hard copy to hold on to. The software companies never again have to buy packages, print labels or burn DVDs. It is all up in the smoke. Personally, I like having a disk in my hand, even if it takes two or three seconds longer to open.

Having worked on computers since 1980, I know that when you put software in a centralized location, you give the hackers an easier target. How will these software companies reimburse us if the cloud is down? If they have thirty million computers connected to an infected cloud, what else do we lose besides our access to that one specific software package?

I saw one recent game where after you bought the game, you had to buy parts, weapons, skin designs and everything else you needed or wanted. The amounts were not great, but over the lifetime of the game, they would have collected a hundred times the initial cost of the game itself. That is BS! Buy the game - play the game, period.

The only reason any software developer is planning to sell you the game a piece at a time is MONEY! They have discovered the techniques of the old scam artists and improved on them so they can make more money while doing less work. They will keep you interested by "NEW" thingy's to buy next week, next month or next year. Keeping you on a Leash because you want to use your own software.

HP put their own software on the hard drive with a backup available on the same drive. They were sued because no one could have a hard copy of the software they bought with the computer. In the end, HP either refunded the cost or sent you a copy of the software. Of course, they made the software so that it would only load on one specific HP computer...or so they thought.

I will rent time on a server if needed, but the software is mine if I buy it. I have a nice collection of software from the Dos 6 era forward. Unfortunately, I had to make room and donated a lot of my old stuff to senior centers and such. The worst thing I ever did was give away my copy of "Elite."

Chris Roberts and others like him are in it for the MONEY. Don't be fooled by sentimental statements and wishes from the past. If you buy software, you better get a hard copy in your hand.

There is a reason we all play Freelancer with many of its MODs. If I could be out in Space flying loads of stuff from one world to another, it would be the best job and greatest adventure of my life. Being able to play at it, takes my mind off of my troubles, my disabilities, my family issues, and scumbag politicians. Whatever your reason, enjoy yourself - either Single-Player or Multi-Player, it is all just for fun!

If I was a farmer, I certainly would not buy a heard of cattle that I could not see nor keep on my land. So why would I buy software that is up in the clouds that I have no physical control over? It is just another money scam! Comments???

• I don't buy anything I don't get a hard copy of....but maybe I missed something in fine print over the years. Cloud concept can still KMA. Oops, now I am old!!!!

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D