Good Hot Tips Needed

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by (IOC)Horus Hotepsekhemui.

• For some time now I've been looking to convert to Ubuntu Linux for my operating system and leave Windows 7.

Don't get me wrong I like Win 7 it's a great Op system, but Ubuntu has caught my eye and I'm wanting to give it a Go!

My question to Any and All is - does Freelancer Crossfire work in a Linux environment, has anyone tried this or is using it now. I'd like some input before I make this change and although I know there are to be some issues a foot, somethings I'm not willing to live without... :D

God of Kings]Horus[Hotepsekhumui

9538-6938e351.png

:salutes Have Fun and Fly Safe 8).

• So you want to exile yourself from the universal thing to something that needs a fix/patch for any random software ? You need training on Linux to give it a go :D I don't know about CF on it though.

Then you can try give Win 8 a go, use the feature to add the Start icon back and PC startup to desktop, instead of the Metro menu, and all good on a 15% slimmer system.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I wasn't looking towards Windows 8 due to the touch screen aspect of it, that just doesn't seem practical to me as a PC gamer. I have heard of people using it who don't have a touch screen so if you are one of those ppl and it works great for you I may consider that.

As far as patching goes, after some sort of update Windows 7 is telling me my Installation is not valid and may be counterfeit software, I've done every thing under the sky from DOS Fixes, Windows Support, & Pirated Patches, Fresh Installs etc. and the stupid window keeps popping up to the point it literally kicks me out of games to the desktop just to display.

I've gone through a two months of this torcher and I'm feed up with it to no end. I refuse to spend another dollar for a new Key when the two I've bought in the past year is all I care to spend for Windows 7 again.

As far as Ubuntu goes I know there are going to be rough roads ahead, and as far as working with Linux I'm a fast learner when it comes to languages, my major is Computer Programming so I welcome the challenge.

Thanx for the utrack lead , and I will look closer at Windows 8 before making this leap to see if I can find more insight then I found last time I looked. Originally I saw Touch Screen and left.

9538-6938e351.png

• i have my doubts that it will work eventhough ive heard that some ppl got it working
    you would need to get directx running plus a tons of windows runtime components

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• WoW! Thanx all for the responses, after reading the issues Nhull was having I'll look for a smoother transition. Maybe give Windows 8 a try and see how a Non-Touch screen setup works out, if I'm going to fork out anymore cash to Microsoft I'm upgrading, not paying for the same system I've bought twice already.

Thank you for your valued input, and I'll just make Linux a side project for now.

9538-6938e351.png

• why "either" and "or"? why not "as well as"? 8).

me for example has both systems (Win7 and Kubuntu) on one computer. i have to choose in the beginning, which system shall be started. that's it. both system are running perfectly. and if one of them crashes, there is still the other one to rescue all datas (in case u saved them on an extra partition).

u can install Kubuntu, while Win7 is already installed. it takes the necessary space from the hdd, makes new partitions (which u won't see from Win7). as i kbow, it is possible to install most Windows-programs in Linux. there are at least 2 options that i know: VMware (creates a virtual machine, where u can install Win7 again :D ) or WinE (=Windows-Emulator, i never tried that out).

maybe u have seen the player "Free-4-Live" on the server. he has Mac-system, used a virtual machine too and is able to play CF.
    another player told me, he runs CF on native system AND on virtual machine. so he can play CF twice at the same time with 1 computer (what is rly helpful, if u need transfer and are frightened someone could kill ur store ;) )

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Not everyone has spare memory for two OS :D

Anyway, Horus, yes, I use Win 8 with "Classic Shell", and it runs the same way as my old Win 7 (which I didn't had for long, since the jump from Win XP, through Vista...), and established on this one. Modifications, registries, stuff keeps working as a windows, but with 15-20% less RAM usage and it actually does have a "Quick Start" lol.

That METRO UI is just a feature, it's not the windows itself. Mine starts directly to Desktop like Win 7 because I set it to that, and the Start icon is down there in the bar, again. Aspects ? I prefer my games and CPU killer conversions go smoother than having "Windows Vista" style again.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• thanks again all,

denne I actually considerd using a VM for any compatibility issues within Linux, but after reading Michael's post I think I'll go with Windows 8.

I didn't know you could turn off that touch interface, that makes me a lot happier camper.

just the same denne there's no reason I can't use Linux & Windows 8.

9538-6938e351.png

Edited 2 times, last by (IOC)Horus Hotepsekhemui: fix ().