Possible hosting of own server ?

There are 13 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Hello everyone,
    I've been getting into Freelancer since short and I love it, although, coming from other games, before I played X3, the main game is really limited, so far I played around with the Crossfire mod and it seems to add an extra punch.
    What I'd mostly like is new ships as fighters don't really satisfy anymore after having flown capital ships. ( Does this mod add any bigger ones which pack more punch ? ).
    Anyhow to get to the main question, love the multiplayer part of Freelancer, but I'd like to host my own server.
    Going to a lan party soon, plus me and my friends always game in groups ( prefer own servers / private servers to have less hazzle with others ).
    flserver.exe seems to run the vanilla one from 1.0 Freelancer.
    Hope you can help me out, if it is not possible to host my own server, is anyone here aware of a mod which adds significant content and allows you to host one yourself ?

Thanks in advance, Robin.

• Sorry to hijack a thread...

This is more a question for you Huor...(and maybe OP) But is there any way a second, perhaps US-based Crossfire server could ever be created granted with OP's approval, "blessing" and under his direct supervision?

Granted, I imagine the server population and server loads would have to peak out on the current server as well for this to even be considered a possibility of course. I assume this also would facilitate the need for a "partner" to the Swat team to be based in the US to become a "sub-admin" for such a server. Anyway, I expect the standard expected response, but maybe, just maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised... So let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance! :thumbup:

• its not impossible

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• My ping to the Freeworlds USA server is 32ms. If people actually played there, it would be great :) but no one ever seems to be in there. If there was a Crossfire server on my side of the ocean, I'd be there ALL the time! I notice that Crossfire does have a good number of North American players but compared to the number of European/Russian players, there isn't really that many. Maybe less than 10% ? So, if there are 40 players in the server, 4 of them are playing from the US/Canada side of the Atlantic. And the reason for this is the ping. It's not the mod because the mod is great. Many people over here would rather play with a 50ms ping than a 150ms ping. The Underverse and Discovery USA are pretty popular servers and I bet a good number of players from there would switch if there was a Crossfire server here in North America.

• I think this is $$$ issue. But if OP open new CF in america I sw to American server to be pirat...my dark side rise.

:)

• I'm here in Washington State, U.S., and my ping is sky high (160, if I remember).

However, I rarely get a Yellow Lag warning, and almost never see Red Lag. Sometimes, my son gets on the same connection to the server and we share bandwidth. Again, no problem.. Granted, I haven't been in any hairy, missile spamming PVP yet. But when I'm jumped by six or more Nomads, It's smooth.

Another server in North America would be nice, but from my perspective, totally unnecessary.

• Ahhh, I stand corrected then, good to hear OP, thanks!

Yea, I agree with your sentiments Rex and Husker, creating and running a whole new CF server would be rather expensive I'd imagine. It would need quite a bit of financial backing and support of course, with someone here in North America as a representative of Swat who would be dedicated to help make it happen. Not only with man hours towards getting the server established, but also with a substantial amount of money to rent the server and for hosting services. I've actually hosted a Freelancer server on my own computer years ago (once as a vanilla server and other times as other mods, like Freeworlds 1.66) So I have some inclination of how much time and effort can go into it getting it up, running and stable. I can only fathom that Crossfire 1.9 is probably many more times more intensive and requires far more server muscle to run, much less the amount of administrating to get it running smoothly along with managing player accounts and governing things through server police, aka the GRs.

Yea, I too noticed all the major Freelancer mods have a US-based server,(with pretty good player numbers to boot) so I hope one day Crossfire will have one too. For now, I can only dream I guess... But first things first, I gotta get some free time to even be able to log in to Crossfire again, my personal endeavors with music right now is my current priority sadly.

• other question... would other servers support this community and help with the modding work?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!