64 bit systems and Adobe Flash Player

There are 15 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Shockwave.

• At work I have a pretty good computer, but the friggin' Firefox and Opera crash many times in one hour of browsing. Now I've read that the most likely cause is the Adobe Flash Player, who's versions do not yet support native 64 bit. It's said on their website that native 64 bit version of Flash player is under development, and I think Linux users have or had the option to download a beta of the 64 bit Flash.

The problem of those crashies was so critical, that the Firefox added an additional executable to its installation, called Plugin Container, to prevent primary application from crashing. Well, from experience, I can say that that doesn't really work as well as it should, since in most cases both PluginContainer AND Firefox crash (at least for me).

NOTE: My Opera is also crashing, because the Flash plugin is shared with the Firefox.
    Chrome, on the other hand, doesn't crash completely, but tends to display that the Shockwave Flash plugin crashed, leaving the main window open and active. Guess he has better handling of plugins.
    Safari and IE 8 - I haven't been using them enough to see if it crashes too.

I had those same problems in Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate, and now in Windows 7 64bit Pro.

Anyone else having those problems?
    Do you know of any "custom" workarounds?

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• run in compatible mode? 64 bit usually dont fit into 32 bit - thatswhy it keeps crashing^^

Yeah, but theoretically - Firefox and Flash Player are both native 32 bit apps, and should run on 64 bit system (Win7) and 64 bit processor (dual core Athlon something +6000) with no problems. But, obviously they're refusing to. :D

You know, I tried pretty much everything EXCEPT running it in compatibility mode... Idjit me. :D

• Hm, it seems Adobe updated Flash Player today... Today, only 2 crashes on Firefox and 1 on Opera. And that's a good score. :D

• flash is the number 1 cause of web browser crashes (at least thats what I can say out of experience)

... and thats also why jobs didn't want to include it on his iphag :D

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• I heard there were work-arounds for that. :D

I don't think highly of Iphone, could be that future versions of smartphones with Android and that new thing Nokia is doing could be better.

• Would be better if you didn't say nothing at all.

Anyway, a mate has a similar system now, so I guess we'll see how stabile it is. Hopefully, they won't stall the Flash64 edition for long...

• In light of all this, there's a beta release edition of Flash Player, codenamed "Square", available for download here at Adobe Labs. Hopefully this will improve a few things... :)

• Hmmm, what about other plugins bringing that fuzz - ever tried to deactivate other plugins one after the other to have a look to it? I do not have a single problem with flash/shockwave at w7 64.

Click the image above to visit us.

• Could be.

Some say there's a possibility that the Catalyst drivers for ATI's Radeon graphic cards can cause hiccups, even leading to Blue Screen Of Death. Others claim that the instability is caused by AVG's scanning engine and/or ZoneAlarm firewall, both of which I'm using. I'll have to do some more extensive testing to find out what's the deal. But not only Firefox - Opera is crashing too.

Now, my friend uses another antivirus, but also uses Catalyst drivers, and he also has problems with browsers crashing in W7 x64. Now he uses Chrome, since that one has built in Flash.

• I'm using Flash Player and 64-bit version of Win7 Ultimate, haven't had any problems of that sort so far... And I also have ATI Catalyst driver and AVG antivirus which is use to scan the entire hard drive on a weekly basis, and, again, no problems so far... ^^

• Dunno, it could be that the hardware on that work computer of mine is messed up, but the friend's computer is brand new and browsers cause problems...

• Under 64bit OS there is an .exe program called Agent.exe that Macrovision uses to update Adobe. However the culprit is a process called isusus.exe that needs to be disabled, which creates a custom boot.ini

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Thanks, will try it.