An Overview

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Al-Rik.

• A single-player campaign with over 30 missions. New scenarios include flying with Vasudan squadrons, piloting advanced stealth fighters, and "painting" targets with TAG (Target Acquisition & Guidance) missiles. Command up to eleven squad mates in battle. Order them to defend, attack, disarm or disable your target.

An in-depth combat system enables players to target and destroy subsystems, disabling engines, defensive turrets, missile batteries, and fighter bays.

Armed with cutting-edge weaponry, new fighters and bombers hurl the player into complex, fast-paced WWII-style dogfights.

Encounter 70 space-faring vessels, including these new ship classes:

With over 80 turrets, Juggernauts span six kilometers from bow to stern. Stealth fighters are engineered to minimize their EM signatures, rendering them invisible to sensors except at very close range. AWACS enable allied ships to target hostiles in the volatile environment of the nebula. Gas miners gather deuterium-rich nebular gas to fuel fusion-powered vessels. An innovative and immersing nebula environment changes game play dynamics. Impaired visibility, communications, and targeting ability create opportunities for ambush and new combat tactics. Up to 12 players can battle in dogfight, team vs. team (8 players max.), and cooperative missions via LAN, TCP/IP, and modem.

"SquadWar" pits squadron against squadron in a multiplayer battle for control of the universe.

Create and customize single player and multi player scenarios with FRED 2, the new and improved mission editor. Exchange missions with other designers in the FreeSpace on-line community.

3D acceleration (required) improves frame rate and generates stunning graphics (e.g., higher polygon detail for ships and "free" alpha blending and fogging for nebula effects).

Supports the latest hardware innovations, such as Pentium III, EAX, A3D, Force Feedback, and Voice Messaging.

Source : Volition.

THE FASTEST ONE

• PXO is not active anymore
    nowadays a different system is used (i dont have the details atm)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I also know but could not connect online. :(X(

Can you please tell me how to play Freespace 2 online ?(:):D

THE FASTEST ONE

• FreeSpace 2 is a 1999 space combat simulation computer game developed by Volition, Inc. as the sequel to Descent: FreeSpace The Great War. It was completed ahead of schedule in less than a year, and released to great critical acclaim. Engrossing gameplay, excellent sound effects in addition to the inclusion of vocal talent such as Robert Loggia and Ronny Cox led several gaming sites to have proclaimed it as the definitive simulation game for 1999.

The game continues on the story from Descent: FreeSpace, once again thrusting the player into the role of a pilot fighting against the mysterious aliens, the Shivans. While defending the human race and its alien Vasudan allies, the player also gets involved in putting down a rebellion. The game features large numbers of fighters alongside gigantic capital ships in a battlefield fraught with beams, shells and missiles in detailed star systems and nebulae. Free multiplayer games were available via Parallax Online which also ranked players by their statistics. A persistent galaxy was also available as SquadWar for players to fight with each other over territories.

In 2002, Volition released the source code for the game engine to the public. This code became the core of the FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project, which has produced several mods based on science fiction series such as Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica.

THE FASTEST ONE

• Going back to the first post, I think I recall there also being a TAG weapon system in Battlezone and Red Odyssey going by the same name even.

Drifting back onto topic, Freespace is one of the later games in teh Descent line, yes? I seem to recall Descent II very fondly from my Mac days in the 90's. Think I played the Freespace demo once, and a lot of features were very familiar... er, or am I thinking about something entirely different and have no clue what I'm talking about? :D

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D: