Sea of Thieves

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• That looks like fun.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• A small review on Sea of Thieves.

I pre-ordered it and had some time to take a look at the game last weekend.
    Is it worth 70€?
    That depends...

The idea behind this game is pretty nice. An open world which doesnt take much serious except a few fundamental gameplay concepts. The day one patch was an eye-patch (yep... there it goes overboard... the seriousness).
    You are a pirate and your goal is to become a legendary pirate captain. Yeah, thats pretty much everything about this game.

As pirate your job is to find hidden treasure chests. You can buy treasure maps (or find them by luck) and set sails. Unlike other games which try to overload the player with functions and automatic gameplay features Sea of pirates focuses on the concept of "doing everything manually". You lift your ships anchor... decide where to go... set sails and try to find the treasure.
    You dont have world map that you simply can open to see where you are... nope... that map is pinned to a table on your ship. You always will have to return to that table to see your current location (on small ships you can spot the map from the deck above).
    The game can be played solo (thats what I did so far) but actually its better to play with a team.
    You can decide which kind of ship you want to use... a small one or a bigger one.
    The small one can be "piloted" by one or two people. (better two -> because you can not fire cannons and maneuver at the same time)
    The bigger ship is designed for bigger crews. -> more firepower but also more work to be done.
    Since you have to do everything manually you always have something to do (eventhough there are not that many different game functions).

Once you reach the correct island you need to find the treasure. The X marks the spot... either that or a riddle you have to solve.
    Unfortunatly is the game world not so big... and the tasks become very repetive (eventhough still fun).
    When you managed to find the chests and got them on your ship its time to sail back to the outpost.

That of course if no other pirate crew wants your treasure. The game has no rules... it is open and other players show no mercy.
    Playing solo I have lost 3 ships... two in combat and one because I didnt check it for holes in the hull becore exploring the island. One time I was robbed while standing on the map table (some asshole came onboard and shot me - when I respawned two of my chests were missing).
    But I also was victorious once... some guy was attacking me at an outpost and my first cannon shot hit directly his own cannon while he was standing there. I used the respawn timeout to sink his ship (when a player dies he has to spend a short amount of time on the Ferry of the Damned before he can enter the mortal world again).

Its not a game for bad losers... its a game for people which want to hunt achievements. The game has no progression system... all the money you earn is for cosmetical changes on your captain or the ship. Nothing really makes you stronger, nothing gives you an advantage in combat. A starting player is as strong as everybody else.
    This could be a strength of this game... or its biggest weakness. It depends on what kind of player you are.
    If you can say "well, that was fun" while watching your ship sinking and all your treasure gone then Sea of Thieves might be perfect for you. Or you can use it as some kind of therapy... dunno.
    The game certainly makes more fun with you play with friends and do every crazy shit with them.

The graphics are nice eventhough its comic style is not 100% my taste. The water effects and well done sailing experience is perfect. It really looks impressive, especially in the middle of storms.

There is one issue I have with this game. The controls are not very responsive... it always feels like there is a delay and i cant get rid of the feeling that the animations are more important to the developers than fluid gameplay.

So... is this game worth 70,-€.
    Probably not... it is a fun game... but it in first place lacks content at this time. The game world is too small and the lack of different tasks let this game appear very repetive. Also the fact that you only achieve cosmetic upgrades but no really progression system is a big disappointing.
    Id adivce to try this game when the price drops a bit because it can be really fun if you play with friends.
    70,- € at the moment appears too much at the moment. But maybe additional features will be introduced later... its an MMO so content updates are very likely to happen.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• could be

my biggest problem with sea of thieves is the lack of content and the lack of purpose.
    some people on youtube compare it with no mans skies and even say that it is worse than no man skies.

Well, I can understand that.
    It really lacks content, it really lacks purpose.
    But the very few things that it offers... the sailing part... the battles... the multicrew stuff... the treasure hunts are at least fun to do.
    Its just not enough to justify 70€ because it really does not offer content for 70€.
    It feels more like a 30€ game or an early access title where you can expect more content later.

The stuff that the developers did is good... its just that they have not done enough stuff for the game to be great (at least not yet).

[xattach=9736][/xattach]
    I wish I could say that damage is from a glorious battle where I wrecked the enemy, but the truth is... i am a terrible sailor.

Files

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• i never buy a game full price. i generally end up buying a game a year and a half later as an impulse buy on a steam sale.

Even if there was a game i wanted to buy upon release, i still wouldn't preorder or pay full price. not just because i'm a greedy Jew but because i'd rather wait for the developer to release a patch or 3 before even considering purchasing the game. and it'd better be on sale....

• I do it the same way for most of the games... but not for all.
    On MMOs the player numbers are highest at its first year... especially when its about PVP driven content thats an advantage.
    Some games are pretty much dead after a year.
    Singleplayer games are usually different ... let them fix these games first. Today most games get released in a totally broken state.

However, you can currently test Sea of Thieves for free (I found out about that too late).
    You can get a Xbox Game pass which currently contains Sea of Thieves. That game pass usually costs 10,-€ per months but the first 14 days are free... so you can test the game and then cancel that subscription before the 14 days are over.
    Xbox Game Pass | Xbox

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• psh. forget Xbox #pcmasterrace

Yup, developers and publishers are all about that almighty dollar instead of creating quality games that aren't broken hot off the assembly line.

ps. i actually knew somebody like this^

• well, with xbox i mean xbox live.... which is a default service on PCs with windows 10.
    Sea of thieves works on PC and Xbox... you can play it on both and just with one purchase.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,