PC upgrade

There are 95 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• For graphic cards, maybe wait until the prices normalize again, hopefully they will go back down soon enough, as mining already went down.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• I think will need use backup plan, local shop have ZERO g-crads with 1060 and it's price in other shops rised in last 1,5 month by 50%. I think will go for build my new pc with chosen components, solve windows installation and use as graphics my actual radeon 960.

• The good thing is that the graphic card is the one component you can replace without much problem.
    Open the PC... stick it in... add the power cable... close the Pc... done.
    opening the packaging is more complicated

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• MB: MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK
    CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
    Ram: 2x Kingston HyperX Fury_ 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 CL15
    SSD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB (plus my old HDD)
    Gpu: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1

Hmm, I wanted ask (before decide to push "order"), for gaming purposes, is worth think about Intel Core i5-8600K? In real it means the need to buy also separate cooler (which I5-8400 have in package) and price difference is 185€ (8400) vs 277-290€ (8600K + separate cooler). It seems too much ...

I also changed memory to HyperX Predator_ DDR4 16GB (Kit 2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DIMM 1.35, but here is price difference only around 20€.

• Isnt it better an older gen i7 than a newer i5? Not sure but I have an i7 and somebody I know has a brand new i5 and mine has higher score despite being a 3770k lol, mabe on single core stuff.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• With new MB I can go (in time) with better processor if needed and also better graphic card. Money wise it is: more for old CPU plus cheaper old MB versus cheaper new CPU and more costly new MB. Price is more or less the same, but this new CPU imo looks good also due low power requirements (is better for my power-supply). From links below is for me winner new i5 platform bcs there will be more years before I will be able at least start thinking about changing my gaming PC core-internals (single item upgrades are much easier).

EDIT:
    UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-8400 vs i7-7700 (winner new I5)
    UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-8400 vs i7-6700K (winner new I5)
    UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-8400 vs i7-7700K (winner old I7, but it is the best old i7 vs the weakest new i5)

• Isnt it better an older gen i7 than a newer i5? Not sure but I have an i7 and somebody I know has a brand new i5 and mine has higher score despite being a 3770k lol, mabe on single core stuff.

Thats a difficult question.
    If you compare a I5 with a previous generation I7 it is very likely that the old I7 will win in a performance comparison. Thats because the performance gain between each generation is just 10-20% while at the same time the difference of the clock speeds between i5 and i7 also is around that percentage (mostly a bit higher).
    Thats why the I7 7700k performs slightly better than the I5 8400.
    Another factor you have to take into consideration is the amount of cores and threads.
    That makes it hard to compare gen7 with gen8 CPUs. The 8th gen increased the core number so the general rules that an old I7 is better than a new i5 isnt valid in all the cases.
    The 8600k is performing better than a i7 7700k if you look at singlecore and multicore performance equally. But if you just take the singlecore performance the i7 7700k will be faster than the 8600k. Its a +/- 5% difference depending on what you are looking at.

The 7700k should in theory also be a bit more expensive than a newer 8th gen I5.
    For gaming the i7 7700k is still a beast because games usually rely on singlecore performance but if you ask me these times are going to change now that Intel has meanstream CPUs with more than just 4 cores.
    While the 7700k is still more expensive than a newer i5 CPU the prices for the mainboards should be significantly lower for the i7 because it uses series 200 boards (e.g. z270).
    But that also might be a disadvantage. These z270 board are actually outdated. There are no new CPUs compatible with these kinds of boards anymore. If you decide for an old i7 you also have to accept that you can not do any future upgrades without also getting a new mainboard.
    The i5 CPU and the z370 board would at least give you the chance to do future CPU upgrades.
    e.g. you could upgrade from 8400 to 8700k or maybe even upgrade to a 9th generation CPU.
    Once you decided for an old i7 you dont have these options without buying a new mainboard aswell.

Also you need to consider that you can use faster ram on the 8th gen i5 (at least the native CPU support for that RAM increased -> overclocking is a different topic).

Another difference specifically between old 7th generation CPUs and the 8th generation CPUs is that the 8th gen have a "per core clock speed". That means that you can set clock speeds for every core individually. That was not possible for the 7th generation CPUs.
    Thats an advantage of the new CPUs when it comes to overclocking or using of the turbo clock speeds.

The difference between 8400 and 8600k is simply explained.
    The 8600k has higher clock speeds which result in 12-13% higher performance, it has a few additional instruction sets (mostly to improve memory management and security) and can be overclocked. I think it also has a higher clock speed on the graphic controller but well... nobody really uses that.
    That comes a the cost of a higher energy consumption and the somewhat higher price. Oh and yeah... you need a cooler. Further checks if your current cooler is enough for that would be needed.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• First phase of upgrade is going on, ordered parts:

• CPU Silentium PC Fera 3 HE1224 v2, 120mm fan (can use my old own noctua fan or add it as 2nd one)
    • CPU INTEL Core i5-8400 (2.8GHz, 9MB, 6j) LGA1151 Coffee_Lake, 65W
    • SilentiumPC Fera 3 HE1224 v2
    • DIMM Kingston HyperX Predator_DDR4 16GB (Kit 2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DIMM 1.35V
    • HD SAMSUNG SSD 960 EVO MZ-V6E250, 250GB
    • MB MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK, s.1151

All this stuff is in stock in local shop so will see how it will be with windows install :)

Edit by
    plus later:

• MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8G, 8GB GDDR5
    • Seasonic Energy Knight SS-500ET, T3 500W
  • JUST WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! I love it :D ... SSD is amazing :)

@Portalearth I use atm my "old" GPU (i.e. GTX 960 Gaming 2G) and costs for upgrade (PC parts as stated above) was little below 700€. I'm now doing reinstall for stuff and will need solve also some old PC parts like my 120Gb disk and DVD mechanic which uses old IDE ... But 2nd HDD (bigger) have SATA already and is running well.

... installation W10 with activation needed less as hour ... I still can't believe it :D (btw my "old" W7 key was working :vinsent: )

And whole PC overally is very quiet with cpu cooler and fan I purchased extra (not using stock cooler).

@SWAT_OP-R8R ... I used yours advice for reinstall with USB stick and it worked perfectly. :sehrgut:

• Those 960's and 970s will never run out of style apparently....

.. hmmm, if the Nvidia production would be not such a tragic mess, I would upgrade to 1060 already (960 is not bad, but I alas have only 2G version). But the card which I want is not in local shop .. there is not any nvidia recent card at all!!! <X (and sellers are very pesimistics about its availability), plus its price has rised during last 2! months by 50% and more.

I can order it on Amazon.de ... but, just NO (price is high) ... I simply will wait now till this craziness will end and prices returns to normal. I like to have more graphic power (and now have system which really can use it :) ), but I do not want throw my money out of window ...

• biggest problem price related is RAM and graphic cards.
    The prices for RAM literally doubled within just a few months and same applies to mid tier graphic cards due to bitcoin mining

currently the problems with meltdown and spectre also puts pressure on the prices since especially server components will be needed to compensate the performance losses on current hardware. I guess that hits RAM prices significantly harder than graphic cards since servers actually dont need these.

my advice regarding the SSD.
    Use it for windows and use it for programs. You can use it for games if you notice that the load times on the HDD are extremely long. But keep in mind that this is a relative small SSD that you will mainly need to keep windows and programs fast. Use the HDD as storage and for games which dont have large loading times. I think Elite does not have long load times (at least not that I am aware of)... only the initial load screen with the rotating ship.
    NEVER defrag your SSD.
    Set the windows page file to be exclusively on this SSD and deactivate it for the HDD.

I am sure this PC will serve you good for many years to come.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• isn't there a Newegg type website for Europe?

Is this shop with good prices? ... hmm, I think I have 1 such shop (which is reliable) at disposal, but they are "empty" atm. But I set there today price-checker and will wait ... they are only one which keep lower price so I will buy card there if it will stay this way.

Short feedback to ED installation:

• I can recommend install this game on SSD, difference is really noticeable and this not only for game loading (now game starts in few seconds), but also during play (unsure if it is only SSD matter but "maybe" also CPU/RAM have something say here :) ).
    • Is good to redirect game save folder and pictures to classic HDD (works smoothly).

• As a hint for SSD speed, it gets slower the more u fill it up (unlike HDDs), and not sure but maybe as well with active usage, so OP's tips to not put long loading games on it and keep it clean is for more reasons than it looks like. As well as not formatting on a SSD or such, even with TRIM and stuff especially for SSD it's not really needed. Had to use SAMSUNG tools to get mine to work better again, but its not at full speed anymore. Been many years though since I have it.

• Never let a ssd get Full. SSDs have limited Rewrite capacities for every bit and relocate newly written data to empty space instead of overwriting old bits. That is done to increase the lifetime of the SSD. If the ssd is too full it keeps writing temp data over and over into the same sectors which eventually get damaged.

So never let ur ssd get full. Consider it an operational drive but not a storage drive.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I looked on Newegg and even mid-range Radeon cards well selling upwards of 300-400. I did some research and the reason why new graphics cards are so expensive. And it's kind of a "duh" when you hear it but it's because of the cryptocurrency mining. A buddy of mine has 8 RX580 graphic graphics cards strickly for Ethereum. And even still, most online retailers are limiting "1 per customer" in addition to being sold out of every "reasonably" priced GPU's. Maybe this thread will help recommend EU Online computer part retailers What's the Newegg of the EU? - Ars Technica OpenForum

Then you got the huge mining operations where they'll have scores of graphics cards.

In other words, assholes like this guy are why upgrading a GPU is expensive